Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreadhead
Check your facts the first electric guitar wasn`t a Gibson but was the "flying frying pan" from Rickenbacker. I do however agree that Christian and the ES135 had a tremendious impact.
#1. Those aren't my facts, they're Gibson's.
#2. How many people currently play an instrument that even slightly resembles the "frying pan"? FYI: the frying pan guitar was a Hawaiian guitar similar to today's lap steel...not a Les Paul nor Strat.
I don't recall seeing Jimi Hendrix jamming on his frying pan at Monterey or Woodstock nor do I recall Lester Pulfus cutting up a frying pan guitar and slapping the sides of it to a 4"x4" plank.
#3. It's an ES-150, not 135.

I will give credit to the folks at the Electro String Company for helping to pioneer the electromagnetic pickup but, by all accounts, it was already being worked on by Lloyd Loar and other folks at the Rowe-DeArmond company as well as those listed in my previous post.

I'm just sayin'...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #17
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Dave, he's referring to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave
...this mating of Mr. Christian to the first electric guitar and his ability to play it like no one else at that time...
A slight little screw up, really.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #18
Your car crash eyes...

The day Matt Mollison, lead guitar for Broken Masterpiece, took his first guitar lesson.

Seriously though, when some Spanish dude invented it.
Unread 01-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #19
...anybody want a neaput?

Send a message via AIM to BurntHombre
Quote:
Yes but to do so I'm going to borrow from Gibson's website.
Their explanation is short and concise:
Ah, so none of you electric guitarists would be here having a discussion without this.
BurntHombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Dave, he's referring to this...

A slight little screw up, really.
Yes, I sort of clarified that in the last post BUT my reference to "electric guitar" was specific to the guitar that most of us would assume it would be and not to a lap steel or Hawaiian guitar.

You ever tried to fret a Hawaiian guitar?

Even though I have and play a lap steel, I don't refer to it as a 'guitar' per se; it's a lap steel...it sits on one's lap and you glide a steel bar (or glass if you so choose) across the strings.

It has no frets.

Again, Pete Townsend does not perform his whirlwind strum on a lap steel, Chuck Berry did not duck walk with a lap steel nor did Segovia perform Bach on a lap steel.
They played the guitar...two of them played the electric guitar.

To recap:
The Gibson ES-150 was the first electric guitar.
The Electro String Company's A-22 and A-25 were the first electric Hawaiian guitars.
The Bigbsy-Travis guitar was the first solid-body electric (speaking production-wise).

The release of each was a great moment in guitar history, specifically electric guitar history, yet the ES-150 was, again, the genesis of the electric guitar matched to the first popular lead player (Charlie Christian).

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 01-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #21

well i could almost say the "hippie days" in general, during the 60's and 70's there were so many great bands that came out. like, THE GUESS WHO! I have really got to be more specific though, i think the first distortionized amp was an impact.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog
think the first distortionized amp was an impact.
Do you mean Link Wray slicing his speakers so they'd distort more easily while he pounded away at power chords, or an actual distortion circuit? Amp distortion, for a very long time, was something that guitarists tried to avoid like the plague.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
Do you mean Link Wray slicing his speakers so they'd distort more easily while he pounded away at power chords, or an actual distortion circuit? Amp distortion, for a very long time, was something that guitarists tried to avoid like the plague.
well i don't know much about how they began so the first purposely distortionized amp, like for a rock band or something.

i know i know, ritchie blackmoore from deep purple, they were the first heavy metal band (even though they doen't classify themselves as such), i guess black sabbath was real early too, which reminds me of randy roads, also incredible.

Last edited by thesteve; 09-01-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Unread 02-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone13
Les Paul
Jimmi Page and the bow

Bill Edwards and Fretboard Logic SE
The moment Jimmy Page first plugged in the '59 Les Paul Standard he got from Joe Walsh.

Woodstock
wwjdnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #25

ok, so after reading some of the newest issue of guitar world, i have developed a new appreciation for randy roads. I know he is incredible, but i always thought "whatever, and old guitarist whoes dead," but wow.

Unread 02-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #26

Quote:
ok, so after reading some of the newest issue of guitar world, i have developed a new appreciation for randy roads. I know he is incredible, but i always thought "whatever, and old guitarist whoes dead," but wow.
He's one of my bigger early influences...so much so that I became a pretty big Ozzy fan and almost got an audition with him but he'd already hired Joe Holmes.
Randy was very good and only getting better at the time of his death.
He definitely raised the bar in that genre of music and helped usher in an era of neo-classical players like Yngwie, et al...for better or for worse.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 02-04-2006, 01:07 AM   #27
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
To recap:
The Gibson ES-150 was the first electric guitar.
The Electro String Company's A-22 and A-25 were the first electric Hawaiian guitars.
The Bigbsy-Travis guitar was the first solid-body electric (speaking production-wise).

The release of each was a great moment in guitar history, specifically electric guitar history, yet the ES-150 was, again, the genesis of the electric guitar matched to the first popular lead player (Charlie Christian).
According to Donald Brosnac who wrote Guitar Electronics for Musicians, I'll add some to what Dave has stated.

The first documented magnetic electric guitar pickup was made in 1931 with tungsten steel magnets by the Rickenbacker Company, which was on its solid aluminum guitar. The patent number was not obtained until 1937. In 1932, the Dopyera Brothers (Dobro) made a few of their resonator guitars with electric pickups. This Dobro instrument is thought to be the first commercially made electric spanish guitar. Later that year, Dobro began making one piece aluminum electric Hawaiian guitars. A later Dobro related venture, Valco, claimed it made the world's first modern electric guitar.

In 1934 or 1935, Gibson began to make electric Hawaiian guitars and banjos. In 1935, Gibson's electric Hawaiian guitars began to become popular, but it wasn't until 1937 when it introduced its electric spanish guitars. This was also the start of the popularity of electric guitars. The Gibson ES150 with the Charlie Christian pickup was the electric guitar that won the respect and admiration of audiences (as Dave points out).

In 1947, Paul Bigsby made the first modern solid body guitar -modern meaning it was the first solid body electric spanish guitar rather than a Hawaiian guitar. In 1948. Fender, produced the first mass produced electric spanish guitar named the Broadcaster, which was quickly renamed the Telecaster.

In 1952, Gibson unveiled its Les Paul electric guitar with a single soapbar pickup. In 1956, Les Paul started using his famous PAF humbucking pickups.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #28

Quote:
He's one of my bigger early influences...so much so that I became a pretty big Ozzy fan and almost got an audition with him but he'd already hired Joe Holmes.
Randy was very good and only getting better at the time of his death.
He definitely raised the bar in that genre of music and helped usher in an era of neo-classical players like Yngwie, et al...for better or for worse.
are you serious about auditioning for him? Or is that a joke?

Unread 02-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #29

Quote:
i know i know, ritchie blackmoore from deep purple, they were the first heavy metal band (even though they doen't classify themselves as such), i guess black sabbath was real early too, which reminds me of randy roads, also incredible.
Sabbath was the first metal band. There was a movement for acid rock to get heavier, and Zeppelin paved the way for a heavier sound that could still swing and groove, but Sabbath was the band that forged it into the sound that we now know as Heavy Metal. It specifically started with they're self-titled cut.

Not to say that Deep Purple wasn't important of course.

Incidentally, who here knows the story of how Black Sabbath became Black Sabbath? And where the self-titled album and title-cut came from?

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Sabbath was the first metal band. There was a movement for acid rock to get heavier, and Zeppelin paved the way for a heavier sound that could still swing and groove, but Sabbath was the band that forged it into the sound that we now know as Heavy Metal. It specifically started with they're self-titled cut.

Not to say that Deep Purple wasn't important of course.

Incidentally, who here knows the story of how Black Sabbath became Black Sabbath? And where the self-titled album and title-cut came from?

Chesh
I beg to differ. Sabbath did come out in the late sixties and are given the credit for creating heavy metal, but Deep purple came out slightly before i believe, they were under different names also. I guess since they don't even like to classify themselves as heavy metal you could say Sabbath created, but doen't be to sure. They both came out so closely. I know that Sabbath was called Earth and something else, then addopted the name Black Sabbath after one of their songs written by one of the members who was getting real into the black majic and stuff. So i'll just say that they both kind of created it, i guess Black Sabbath more officially but whatever.