Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-29-2006, 12:12 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Beyer413
Looking for some guitarists. . .

Hello there!

I'm looking for some guitarists to start an "acapella/vocal jazz" guitar band. I am looking for about 8-10 people to simply play all the parts to vocal jazz arrangements of songs. Really all that is necessary is to know how to either read standard notation or convert it to tabulature. I dont have a huge library of songs, but I think it would be a cool thing to just do some of the songs. If enough people are interested, I'll scan some of the arrangements I've got, and if a pianist/bassist/drummer/horn player wants to help out that'd be really awesome. I think it would be best to just use acoustic guitars, eliminating any possible tone clashes. Pleas only reply if you're genuinly interested, and have a good ear for the random clashes of vocal jazz.

Take a bunch of rediculous chords that sound strange together, put them into a progression, get a ride cymbal to go ganggankadanggankadang.... take a hit hat and go chik.chik.chik. on 2 and 4, get an upright bassist to lay down that walking bassline bahbahbahbahbahbahbahbahbah, and play a solo using those rediculous chord s that sorta goes doodedoodedoodedoodedoodedoooo. blahp ba pa doo waooooww.... then get into that bluesy groove!

Or something like that.
Beyer413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-29-2006, 12:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer413
Hello there!

I'm looking for some guitarists to start an "acapella/vocal jazz" guitar band. I am looking for about 8-10 people to simply play all the parts to vocal jazz arrangements of songs. Really all that is necessary is to know how to either read standard notation or convert it to tabulature. I dont have a huge library of songs, but I think it would be a cool thing to just do some of the songs. If enough people are interested, I'll scan some of the arrangements I've got, and if a pianist/bassist/drummer/horn player wants to help out that'd be really awesome. I think it would be best to just use acoustic guitars, eliminating any possible tone clashes. Pleas only reply if you're genuinly interested, and have a good ear for the random clashes of vocal jazz.
I think this might be better in the classifieds, tho the mods might want to leave it up here for a short time so that it can get some exposure.

Incidentally, was this going to be an e-band or e-semble, or were you wanting to do this in a physical location. And, if so, exactly where do you live? If people aren't local, then that might pose a problem.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 03:47 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
this actually goes best in the 'local' area forums...but he doesnt' list one so i don't know where to send it

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #4

I'm looking to do this online, because I know a lot of guitarists at my school can't read shape notes.

Take a bunch of rediculous chords that sound strange together, put them into a progression, get a ride cymbal to go ganggankadanggankadang.... take a hit hat and go chik.chik.chik. on 2 and 4, get an upright bassist to lay down that walking bassline bahbahbahbahbahbahbahbahbah, and play a solo using those rediculous chord s that sorta goes doodedoodedoodedoodedoodedoooo. blahp ba pa doo waooooww.... then get into that bluesy groove!

Or something like that.
Unread 01-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Are you thinking like having a single acoustic play each line of the vocal arrangement? Your description confuses me a bit.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer413
I'm looking to do this online, because I know a lot of guitarists at my school can't read shape notes.
Can't read "shape notes"? Do you mean standard notation? Why wouldn't tab work?

BTW, Happy Birthday.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 01-29-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Unread 01-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #7

Thanks Ches.

Rainer, I'm looking to have each individual acoustic to do one line.

Tab would work, but the songs are in standard notation, and I don't feel like entering 7-8 pages, 8 parts each.

Or something like that.
Unread 01-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #8
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
That'd be an interesting deal. I'd think, however, it'd be hard to get all the lines to match right...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
Guitars are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
That'd be an interesting deal. I'd think, however, it'd be hard to get all the lines to match right...
Metronome + good mixer = Not THAT hard.
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche
Metronome + good mixer = Not THAT hard.
In theory . . .

Unread 01-30-2006, 06:13 AM   #11
Guitars are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
In theory . . .
Granted I'm used to playing with more professional people these days. My opinion may just be a hair too biased towards thinking that normal people have the ability to play at least at college level. (Which is somewhere in between "I'm not great yet, but I don't suck anymore").
Unread 01-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #12

Well, here's a question, anybody else do vocal jazz?

As for timing, I have some recordings, and we could just play over those and eliminate that when we're done.

Or something like that.
Unread 01-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #13
Very nice!

paid
Send a message via AIM to Brent
I just post because I found "acapella guitar band" to be funny. I'd like to know how that works since the definition of "a capella" is "without musical accompaniment...
You're an immigrant, too!
Who's using who?
What should we do?
Well, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too!

The White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
eats beef.

Quote:
I just post because I found "acapella guitar band" to be funny. I'd like to know how that works since the definition of "a capella" is "without musical accompaniment...
I second that.

Gear
Guitars: Schecter C1 Plus, Arbor AS350.
Amps: Behringer GMX212, Behringer GX110.
Effects: Dunlop Crybaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CS-3.

Myspace. www.myspace.com/mtlmohawk
Rock for God is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche
Granted I'm used to playing with more professional people these days. My opinion may just be a hair too biased towards thinking that normal people have the ability to play at least at college level. (Which is somewhere in between "I'm not great yet, but I don't suck anymore").
Well, that, and being able to play along to a click-track and sound natural.

I mean, I hate those cacophonious "end of the concert jams" where they throw everyone on stage for what is supposed to be the musical equivalent of a curtain call. I think they just seem pointless, and sound terrible, and look dorky, cliched, and corny.

Incidentally, back during the Primus/Anthrax/somerapband tour some years back, during that EOSFTEOTCJ, Les Claypool had the right idea: he didn't play his bass . . . just grabbed a broom and started sweeping the floors as everyone else played. Amusing.

Well, assuming he's serious about this, and he appears to be, I'd hope that having eight disparate guitarists from all over playing to a click-track or metronome would sound a little tighter and more together than said "end of the concert jam" or something of the sort mentioned above.

I mean, if it just sounds like a loosey-goosey jam session, and lacks the tight arrangements characteristic of Acapella Jazz Vocal Ensembles, then what's the point? Might as well be hangin' in a blues club on open mic jam night, or singing Kumbiya around a campfire.

I think Beyer is aspiring to something more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Beyer isn't talking about Acapella in the proper sense, but rather wants to create a Guitar Ensemble Project that has the arrangement qualities of an Acapella Jazz Vocal Ensemble piece, with one-lining guitars substituting for what would be a vocalist. To that end, he wanted to start with actual AJVE arrangements to get the ball rolling.

While "a capella" hypertechnically isn't the correct word, lacking another adequate term he opted for that one as it most closely described the overall effect he was looking for. Much the same way that comic books these days aren't always "comical" or involve Snoopy or Butch & Nancy.

Chesh