Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #1

The Nature and Means of Salvation

Along with the inspiration of Scripture thread that bobthecockroach has started, this is a spinoff of the "Desires" thread.

What is the nature of salvation?

What is the means of salvation?

0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Micah 6:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0000
Along with the inspiration of Scripture thread that bobthecockroach has started, this is a spinoff of the "Desires" thread.

I'll answer the easy one, the second one.

The means of salvation is God. Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. Salvation is a gift, freely given by God.
KFBobInsanesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Be happy

I think it was said best (aside from Scripture) when it was said that salvation is fourfold. We are saved from the pleasure, penalty, power, and (in the future) presence of sin.
Unread 01-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
The Nephews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0000

I believe that the nature of salvation is communion with God, often described in the tradition as 'entering into the life of the Blessed Trinity' or the 'Beatific Vision'.

The means is the life, death, and resurrection of Christ (yes, all 3).
Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opnions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although 'they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion
(St. Augustine The Literal Meaning of Genesis I.19.39)

Note: (due to confusion) Augustine here is writing against those who interpret Genesis "literally" (i.e. 6 day creation)
Pennypacker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Micah 6:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennypacker11

This is fine in part but this alone does not save. One has to have the grace to believe that Jesus was the Christ, this grace comes as a gift from God. Jesus's life, death, and resurrection will not save one who does not believe He was who He was.
KFBobInsanesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
The Nephews

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFBobInsanesMom
This is fine in part but this alone does not save. One has to have the grace to believe that Jesus was the Christ, this grace comes as a gift from God. Jesus's life, death, and resurrection will not save one who does not believe He was who He was.
Very true; I did not mention the need for the appropriation in faith which is essential.
Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opnions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although 'they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion
(St. Augustine The Literal Meaning of Genesis I.19.39)

Note: (due to confusion) Augustine here is writing against those who interpret Genesis "literally" (i.e. 6 day creation)
Pennypacker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Laborer/Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennypacker11
What about the Ascension? I always thought that was an interesting line of reasoning to pursue.

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #8
Gone Golfing

Salvation isn't a thing it is a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the means of salvation. The man Simeon, when they brought the child to be circumcised, said; Luk 2:29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:
Luk 2:30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation
Unread 01-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
Post Prehistoric

paid
Send a message via Skype™ to AlphaSigma
I'll try the first one: The Nature of Salvation.
The nature of salvation is to unite mankind in relationship with God the creator. I believe salvation was meant to allow us to understand and communicate with God in a way we never could in any other way. He didn't create salvation so we 'wouldn't have to go to Hell.' He created it because he loved us and he wanted to show us how much he cares for us.
“Life is a river. Rivers are always changing. We are always supposed to be changing, evolving, and growing, always supposed to be getting deeper in our relationship with God. There’s always more to go, always more to grow, always more to learn.”
AlphaSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #10
is engaged

Send a message via AIM to domnastics Send a message via MSN to domnastics
The nature of salvation:
To unite us with God. To break the separation caused by sin.
The means of salvation:
Repent and believe on the redemption from Jesus Christ.
Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ. Because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone that believes.
My blog
domnastics is offline   Reply With Quote