Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #1

How do we know what desires come from God?

This is just something that I got thinking about and I want to her what you all think on the matter. How do we know what desires come from God and which ones come from our selves? And I donít mean the obvious thing like, lets say the desire to yell at someone when Iím angry(which would not come from God) or the desire to help someone in need(which would) - Iím talking about things like when someone says that God gave them the desire to have such and such a vocation or that God gave them the desire to marry so and so- or God called me to be a missionary. How are we to tell between the desires that God puts in our hearts and the ones that just come from us?

TheJayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Banned

This is a very good question, and I've often wondered about the same thing.

I believe that God will only put something in our heart if we are seeking the answer and spending time in His word and praying about it. If we are truly seeking, I think the answer will come from God.
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #3

The problem would then be, how do you know you are truly seeking or are you just trying to get God to say yes to what you want?

Another way to think about it is- all our desires originally came from God, but how do know that what we think will fulfill that desire is Gods way or ours?
Unread 01-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Banned

Good point. We could just be telling ourselves what we want to hear.

If it's a big decision, I guess just keep asking God if it's really what He wants you to do. Someone should be able to tell if they're truly seeking or not.

Also, you could ask someone else to pray about it too. Someone like a pastor or a good friend.
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 03:46 PM   #5

tjguitar said: People are different, and some are going to want constant prayer to be in touch with God while others will do a quiet contemplation now and then and simply know God is behind them. To each his own, I suppose.

As for what I think personally, I think many Christians are dependant on constant prayer so much that they are too weak to stand up on their own two feet. I am saddened that so many Christians feel they are worthless without God because I believe God made us strong. He knew what He was doing. God give us the tools we need to survive. Life with God is richer, and thanklessness is not appropriate when one believes in God, but we can make it. God wants us to grow and mature. We can love Him without clinging to Him all the time.[/QUOTE]

I think I understand what you are trying to say about people clinging to God but please expound more on what you are saying. Jesus was wholly dependent on the Father, Paul was wholly dependent on Christ alone. In the context of desires and discerning them and making decisions, we can know the will of God without an audible answer or a miraculous sign, but only when we abide in Him constantly, drawing all that we need from the root, Jesus.
0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Pie...& chips. For free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjguitar
I don't think they were wholly dependent on God by any means.
You've officially deemed yourself "not worthy to listen to"

Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #7

Umm the idea is to here everyoneís thoughts on this. No one has to listen to anyone and no one should stop people from saying what they think, thank you. the idea is to discuss not to say Iím write your wrong.
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
Pie...& chips. For free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJayMan
Umm the idea is to here everyoneís thoughts on this. No one has to listen to anyone and no one should stop people from saying what they think, thank you. the idea is to discuss not to say Iím write your wrong.
It's "i'm right"

and

"you're wrong"

Unread 01-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #9

but can you explain what you mean when you say that please, because I do believe we are wholly dependentís on God in the sense that he made us and only he can provide for us, but I do think that we as humans do have wills that are independent from God, he gave us free will, that is the main reason for this thread, how do we know when it is our will or his?
Unread 01-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #10

well then say why he is wrong, what you said is like telling him to shut up
Unread 01-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
awaiting beautiful feet

Quote:
As for what I think personally, I think many Christians are dependant on constant prayer so much that they are too weak to stand up on their own two feet. I am saddened that so many Christians feel they are worthless without God because I believe God made us strong. He knew what He was doing. God give us the tools we need to survive. Life with God is richer, and thanklessness is not appropriate when one believes in God, but we can make it. God wants us to grow and mature. We can love Him without clinging to Him all the time.
I disagree. Christians are _supposed_ to be weak and dependent. See 1 Cor 1 for example. Weakness is part of our identity in Christ; we aren't meant to stand on our own. And we _are_ supposed to pray constantly. To do otherwise is prideful.

I AGREE with what you're saying about constantly praying for God's guidance, but I think you should see it in a different light. Such people are trying to be "super-spiritual," so in touch with God that they wake up in the morning and God says, "Wear the blue shirt today. And remember, pants first, then shoes." Super-spirituality is a form of pride, a desire to be perfect. Or it's a form of escapism. But either way, it isn't true Chrisitianity.

A person who prays, "God, I want to be Your puppet," is not praying that out of trust in God but out of fear. I know. I've lived that way. When you say, "I want God to give me instructions for everything I do," what you're really saying is, "I'm afraid. I'm afraid that if I fail God, if I do the wrong thing, if I'm not perfect - that God will reject me. I'm afraid to make my own choices. I'm afraid that God's love is conditional. I want God to take me over completely because otherwise I'm afraid that I won't be the sort of person God can love." That isn't trust - that's lack of trust.
"But there are two things I could not manage: neither to break the cord that holds me by the heart fixed, riveted, and sealed here, nor in silencing someone who speaks softly to me when I am alone." (Jean Valjean, in <i>Les Miserables</i> by Victor Hugo)
Blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #12

Sorry I just donít like hearing people say ďyouíre wrong and thatís thatĒ it gets people no where. Iíd much rather hear an ďI donít agree and this is whyĒ

I think that God gave us free will and at the same time is in complete control of our lives. Iíll give an example about the game of chess. Many master chess players can see where the game will be like 20 moves ahead, they can see what moves there adversary is going to make, the way they win is by taking into account what the adversary is going to try and do to make them lose and incorporating it into there own plan to win the game. I think the way God works is similar, take Judas for example, I donít think God wanted him to betray his Son but Judas had free will and God knew what he was going to do so he merely worked it into his plan. In the same way God created man to be in perfect fellowship with Himself, he didnít want Adam to sin but when Adam did God worked it into his plan by having his son die on the cross so that we could once again be in perfect fellowship with him. I hope that makes sense.

-----

It seems to me like you are saying that God mad us capable of making our own choices, to which I agree but you are also saying that since we can, we donít need to depend on his guidance all the time to make those choices to which I disagree. Am I correct in this?
I think that God is that Chess master from my example, and he knows what moves to make to win the game and if we donít find out what he wants us to do with our lives it would be like a pawn moving blindly on the board without the chess masters guidance and chances are things will not go well for that pawn.

As for what I think personally, I think many Christians are dependant on constant prayer so much that they are too weak to stand up on their own two feet

I would say that dependence on prayer is what makes us strong enough to stand on our own two feet.

Anyway Iíll probably say more tomorrow itís getting late here and I want to go to bed. Sorry if anything Iíve typed doesnít make sense.

-=-=-=-=-=
JayMan, I appreciate it, but you can't expect someone who takes the BIble to be infallible and someone who does not to rationalize against each other.

Sorry if I missed something, but are you saying that you take the bible to be flawed?
Unread 01-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #13
awaiting beautiful feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJayMan
Iím talking about things like when someone says that God gave them the desire to have such and such a vocation or that God gave them the desire to marry so and so- or God called me to be a missionary. How are we to tell between the desires that God puts in our hearts and the ones that just come from us?
Here's a rule of thumb that almost always works: the desires you have when you are happiest are generally the most trustworthy.

When you're sad, depressed, feeling distant from God, your mind will construct all sorts of desires presenting ways for you to feel good again. You might even desire to do something apparently very Christian - such as becoming a missionary - simmply to get back the feeling that your life is worthwhile and you're on God's good side. When you're unhappy, most if not all of your desires will be self-serving, even the ones that appear selfless.

On the other hand, when you're full of joy, satisfied and confident in God's love for you, your heart won't _need_ to be casting around for ways to build up your ego or assuage your conscience. Any desires you have at those times will not be a plan to escape from painful feelings, but will be the good desires of your heart that God put there.

Of course, that isn't true 100% of the time. But it's a very good rule of thumb.
"But there are two things I could not manage: neither to break the cord that holds me by the heart fixed, riveted, and sealed here, nor in silencing someone who speaks softly to me when I am alone." (Jean Valjean, in <i>Les Miserables</i> by Victor Hugo)
Blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
Pie...& chips. For free!

Quote:
I think we depend on *God*. I don't think we have to depend on the Bible.

Oye. It was written by fallible men. I have no reason to believe it was "directly inspired" by God any more than I have reason to believe the Qu'ran is or the Vedas or anything else. These were books written by men trying to get the message right, they were men, so they may have mad some mistakes.

I think these writers were trying to write from a theoligically correct point of view, not a historical one.
Hence why I made the statement I did.

Unread 01-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #15
Micah 6:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence
Hence why I made the statement I did.
Wow, I think you need to say it a bit stronger. Yikes is all I can add.
KFBobInsanesMom is offline   Reply With Quote