Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #1

Anyone familiar with these guitars?

New York Pro and Johnson guitars. Anyone ever played them/heard of them? I'm just looking for a very basic guitar. A beginner's guitar...the tone doesn't have to be incredible. I don't have some insane amount of money to spend on it...I just want something to use for personal learning and coming up with worship songs at home. I don't have a lot of time to play guitar, so I just wanted to get something fairly cheap to play around with. There is a music shop not too far from here that carries the above mentioned brands, and I was wondering why the entire store seems to have almost nothing but those two brands of guitars all over the place.

I think that even some of the most crappy guitars still have decent tone for those who won't play them much, and there seems to be a constant "push" for people to spend more and more...mostly for high-end guitars that will never see the "stage" use they were kind of designed for in the first place. So anyway...anyone have any info on these? Thanks...

Valley2Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
ok...you don't have an insane amount...but how uch do you actually have?

also, are you looking for an acoustic?

I've personally never been impressed with the tone or feel of Johnson acoustics or electrics. If you're looking for an acoustic, my personal recommendation in the sub-$200 range has always been Yamaha or Mitchell. Alot of other guitarists I know have been surprised to find out my $200 (now selling for $150 at GC) Mitchell MD-100 played as fast as it did (it has a pretty low action with a pretty slim neck).

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
ok...you don't have an insane amount...but how uch do you actually have?

also, are you looking for an acoustic?

I've personally never been impressed with the tone or feel of Johnson acoustics or electrics. If you're looking for an acoustic, my personal recommendation in the sub-$200 range has always been Yamaha or Mitchell. Alot of other guitarists I know have been surprised to find out my $200 (now selling for $150 at GC) Mitchell MD-100 played as fast as it did (it has a pretty low action with a pretty slim neck).

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to include which guitar. I'm looking for just an acoustic. Definitely sub-$200 range. Probably more around that $150 range, actually. I have much more than that...but I'm saving for a car, which is a lot more important to me. I'm just considering maybe something to play around with when I have free time.
Valley2Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley2Victory
Yeah, sorry, I forgot to include which guitar. I'm looking for just an acoustic. Definitely sub-$200 range. Probably more around that $150 range, actually. I have much more than that...but I'm saving for a car, which is a lot more important to me. I'm just considering maybe something to play around with when I have free time.
yeah...I'd look at Mitchell, Yamaha...or Takamine.

how much playing experience do you have?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
yeah...I'd look at Mitchell, Yamaha...or Takamine.
ditto on the yamaha and takamine (i don't know anything about mitchell so no comment on that brand, in case you're wondering why i left it out).

also art & lutherie has some guitars for $200 and under at some places:
http://www.robbsmusic.com sells them. they have at least a few models that go for $200 and under. some are special order.

they are canadian made (lasido company: godin, seagull, norman, simon & patrick, art & lutherie, etc.). i'd take that over the asian made stuff personally.
no worries about poor treatment of workers and such in canada. the other stuff is another story. that's all a personal thing though.

whatever you get, if it has a good setup you'll enjoy it A LOT more. so, if the place you buy it from won't setup and adjust it for free, pay someone to do it. it's worth it.
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #6

I second The Art and Lutherie and you also should check out Walden . I played a Walden a while back that Glenn brought to the SouthEastern Carvin Bash and it blew me away !! My friend Glenn over on the Christian Musician Forum is both a Walden and Art and Lutherie dealer a brother and a good guy give him a shout . Here is his internet store web site link Nineveh Guitars . Tell him Richard sent ya
shreadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Sarcasm? What's that?

yamamha, definately. a side note, my father purchased a little $200 yamamha, 10 years later it was worth $300. not a huge increase or anything special, but it shows that yamaha makes gear that very good for the price.

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
What5647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #8

if you can, see if you can obtain a solid top for under 200. it will be well worth it.
omensixaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:19 PM   #9
Resigned.

Send a message via AIM to Soap
Heres a great $200 guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/519468/

And heres a new twist on the Acoustic/Electric world of guitars, from Fender:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/510687/

Not my favorite of these three, but probably closer to what you are looking for:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/510190/

good luck!
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:27 PM   #10

not trying to be too harsh, but i've played a few of those Stratacoustic models...and they're generally horrible.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #11
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

Quote:
not trying to be too harsh, but i've played a few of those Stratacoustic models...and they're generally horrible.
man you're cruel. i kid.

i have had my hands on one or two of those stratacoustics. the action from the factory was insanely high. in fact, the setup was so bad i put it down pretty quick.
maybe with a good setup and some eq'ing it could give a cool middle of the road hollowbody electric type vibe though. that might make it worthwhile AFTER a good setup.
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:23 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
i would probly stay away from the lower model ibanez acoustics cause i heard there bad.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
man you're cruel. i kid.

i have had my hands on one or two of those stratacoustics. the action from the factory was insanely high. in fact, the setup was so bad i put it down pretty quick.
maybe with a good setup and some eq'ing it could give a cool middle of the road hollowbody electric type vibe though. that might make it worthwhile AFTER a good setup.
this is true...all the one's i played were not well set up...but i also didn't like the acoustic tone in general...it sounded like an Ovation...except thinner and more plasticky...Ovations aren't that bad.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-16-2006, 07:55 AM   #14
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
this is true...all the one's i played were not well set up...but i also didn't like the acoustic tone in general...it sounded like an Ovation...except thinner and more plasticky...Ovations aren't that bad.
I'm with you on the Strato-Tele-coustics...they're really not pleasing to play.
Maybe a setup helps to correct them but the several that I've checked out needed much more than a setup to be useable...they needed a rework!

Ovations? meh...not my thing. There are some nice playing Ovations out there but, still, not my thing.

I second the contacting Glenn @ Nineveh. He's a great guy and will hook you up, yo.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave
Ovations? meh...not my thing. There are some nice playing Ovations out there but, still, not my thing.
Ovations are definitely an acquired taste. I've played some that I loved and wanted to walk out of the store with and some that I hated and wanted to smash.

I'm a podcaster