Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to ttwcia
New Guitar Choice?

Alright everyone I'm new to guitar and I was just wondering if anyone had any input on a new guitar choice I had. I'm selling my Xbox and some other things I already have $300(I'll soon have $500). Here is my choice in gear:

Epiphone SG Special
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-SG-...l-i30244.music
Marshall MG15DFX with Effects
http://www.music123.com/Marshall-MG1...s-i11119.music

I'm not saying this is what I'll find when I go to get it at the store but this is what I like. Most likely they'll have this though(that's what the manager of the store said).

So what do you think? Good choice?

I am new to guitar so please critique my choices if they would be wrong for a beginner.

Thanks,

Alex

ttwcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
I'm sure those two choices sound great in theory to you, but don't just walk into the store with the intent to buy those two items. This is a decision you'll need to think on, actually play the instruments and get a good idea of what you like and what you don't like. Don't let the salesman pressure you into buying something immediately. Even though it sure would sound good to take that guitar and that amp home right away and get jamming, you wouldn't want to regret your purchase because you didn't give it more thought or time in general. Someone else will reply, and I highly recommend that you read some of the stickied threads at the top of this page, there's good info in there.

Also, I would suggest just discussing the guitar purchase here and that you make a seperate thread in amps for the amp.
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey
I'm sure those two choices sound great in theory to you, but don't just walk into the store with the intent to buy those two items. This is a decision you'll need to think on, actually play the instruments and get a good idea of what you like and what you don't like. Don't let the salesman pressure you into buying something immediately. Even though it sure would sound good to take that guitar and that amp home right away and get jamming, you wouldn't want to regret your purchase because you didn't give it more thought or time in general. Someone else will reply, and I highly recommend that you read some of the stickied threads at the top of this page, there's good info in there.

Also, I would suggest just discussing the guitar purchase here and that you make a seperate thread in amps for the amp.
I should have said that I heard the Amp before and love its sound. Also a friend of mine has this guitar and I like it very much, that's how I came to the conlusion of this equipment since it's in my price range.
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
distance is not doable

Send a message via AIM to Casey
I would still highly, HIGHLY recommend that you read the sticky threads at the top of the guitar forum. If you haven't been playing guitar long, I can promise you, in a few months at the latest, you will detest that amp.

The case usually goes that when a person begins guitar, they really have no ear for tone at all. In addition, they really have no money at all, so they end up buying some $99-$199 starter pack (a.k.a guitar-in-a-box) that is set-up horribly (and usually they don't even know what a set-up job is), with an amp that will get you by, but only for a month or so. The fledgling will then give up guitar, totally dissatisfied with the instrument, and totally disillusioned, thinking that they would sound like santana, Aerosmith, or Metallica in a month tops, after all, they have a Marshall amp, right? wrong.

Again I say read the threads at the top of the guitar forum, and I leave the rest of this thread to other people.
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
I would still highly, HIGHLY recommend that you read the sticky threads at the top of the guitar forum. If you haven't been playing guitar long, I can promise you, in a few months at the latest, you will detest that amp.

The case usually goes that when a person begins guitar, they really have no ear for tone at all. In addition, they really have no money at all, so they end up buying some $99-$199 starter pack (a.k.a guitar-in-a-box) that is set-up horribly (and usually they don't even know what a set-up job is), with an amp that will get you by, but only for a month or so. The fledgling will then give up guitar, totally dissatisfied with the instrument, and totally disillusioned, thinking that they would sound like santana, Aerosmith, or Metallica in a month tops, after all, they have a Marshall amp, right? wrong.

Again I say read the threads at the top of the guitar forum, and I leave the rest of this thread to other people.
Indeed, great advice, Casey. You will be dying to get a new guitar within a few months of buying those 2 things. If you want a quality guitar (in my opinion) get a Yamaha Pacifica. I've been playing for over a year, and I've had the Yamaha ever since. I got it new, on sale, for $120. I'm going to throw some new pickups in it soon, and it will probably be my guitar for awhile. As for the amp...

It's pretty much the same deal. You won't get that tone you are looking for within a few months. When I started playing electric, all I wanted was the most insane distortion ever - Period. So I took my Vox Vavletronix 15w back (which is a hybrid amp, has a preamp tube) and bought an all solid state Line 6 Spider II 112. The Line 6 has all the distortion you could want but lacks the smooth overdrive that I know long for. After playing with my amp a bit, I found a pretty good OD sound, but it could be better.

If your serious about guitar, get some quality gear, because the investment you make now will mean a lot to you in the future.
Unread 01-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
ttwcia, where do you live? have you ever heard of a magical website called Craigslist.org?

I'm just wondering, because if you're going to have $500, I suggest you get the maximum mileage from it and buy used. Right now you're looking at spending $320 +tax for those two items. In California that means about $350. With that sort of budget in mind, I'd get a used Fender Standard Strat or Telecaster (MIM...they sell for around $250 usually) and saved up a little more to get a Epiphone Valve Special ($219 new) or similar amp.

In San Diego, if you played your cards right, you could've picked up a Fender Lite Ash Stratocaster (normally $630 new) and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (normally $600 new) for a paltry $550 TOTAL (the guitar was selling for $300 and the amp for $250) a week or so ago.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
ttwcia, where do you live? have you ever heard of a magical website called Craigslist.org?

I live in West Virginia (the state, not the western part of Virginia) sadly enough.
Unread 01-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
The Tick is keen.

I would suggest a used ESP. I have a story for you all. Enjoy.

I have an Epi LP that I bought for $600. The input went bad on it a few days before a gig, so I needed an emergency axe (the LP was my only one at the time). I went to a local guitar shop to look for a guitar that was cheap, but I am very picky about which guitars I get, so it had to be absolutely perfect. I found a discontinued ESP model with a gorgeous quilted cherry top in nearly perfect condition for $250, so I just had to get it. After the first time I played it, I knew that it was going to be my primary guitar. It is pretty freakin' sweet. The action on it is set perfectly, and the thin neck makes fast playing extremely easy. It'll be a while before I buy another guitar.

Click on the pic above to go to my blog.

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
simple servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #9
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Did you just happen to have the money lyin around? or did you already have money saved up for something else.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
The Tick is keen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamforchrist123
Did you just happen to have the money lyin around? or did you already have money saved up for something else.
I was saving for a tube amp.

Click on the pic above to go to my blog.

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
simple servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to thomaspg70
if your going to have 500$ i would stay away from those low end Epiphone SG's. what kind of music are you gona play? if you are gona play all styles i would get a Fender MIM Telecaster(very versatle). they sell on ebay for about 250 and up. that leaves 250 on an amp. you can find a nice tube amp in that range.
thomaspg70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
Sarcasm? What's that?

Quote:

i highly agree. i'm so glad i didn't buy a starter kit and got a (slightly) better guitar instead. i'll admit i knew nothing about what i wanted in an electric when i went in to buy one, thankfully i walked out with a pretty good guitar. i also went with a quality amp, no at first i wasn't keen on the tone, but my ear has changed (less recto, more "smooth" drive, plz. but not too much) the best thing you can do as a beginner would be to get some quality gear, maybe not the most expensive, but stuff that's not gonna frustrate you. one side story i'll add is my experience getting an acoustic guitar.
basically, i played a friend's guitar and thought, wow, this things nice. so my dad bought a different guitar. i was pretty hot at first, but i cooled off and went with it. now i'm so gald i kept it, the guitar sounds wonderful for a little $500 acoustic. now if only i'd take the time to learn acoustic.

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
What5647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #13

Right now I gotta stress to you how important researching and etc. is before buying a guitar i might now have alot of experiencen buying a guitar but i know im kicking myself right now. Anyway when i went to go buy a guitar with my dad (didnt do any research so didnt know anything) because we were low on cash we asked for used guitars and what do u know they had an epiphone les paul studio i believe, but because i didnt know anyhting i passed that up because i didnt like the colour and the look. Now im kicking myself! They were selling it for around 300 but I chose the epiphone sg special, if u ask me, it is definietly not the best guitar....How i regret it soooo much!
JeS-PK-KrN89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #14
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I have to say that, while I believe in research and leaving options open, when I first wanted an electric guitar I would settle for a Les Paul (or a copy) and nothing less.
You could sit me in a room full of Strats, Teles and everything else and I'd be looking for the Les Paul.

Why? Because I wanted one, period. My influences played them...other influences played other guitars but it didn't matter...I wanted a Les Paul.

All that to say that if an SG is what this young man wants, an SG is probably what he'll buy. That being said, I would recommend that he try as many SG's as possible (in the target price range) because they each may play and sound a little differently from each other.

If playing the guitar becomes serious enough in the future, there's always other guitars and amps out there ready to be purchased and the time spent playing the first guitar and amp will be used to develop discernment and better-formed opinions that will fuel that next purchase.

And to simple servant: buying a new guitar is an awfully expensive cure to fixing a broken input jack.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote