Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Utah? Well, it's somewhere between the middle and the west, so I figured that qualified.

Colorado? Already been done:

Dangit. Somone stole MY "original" idea.

Who wants to build a guitar in the shape of my home state, Alaska? Oh, I forgot, it has to be to scale with the Utah... So, that means if the Utah is 20" (estimate) across, the Alaska would be.. About.. 100".

Unread 01-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #77
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
i'd imagine the semi-hollow body wouldn't be too conducive to high gain.

I dont know if someone adressed this comment already, but I did some metal style stuff on an epiphone sheratton 2. It sounded ok for that, tho im sure if you walked on stage with one, all the metal heads would be like, "WTH is this guy doin with that guitar?", before they heard it that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #78

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter
I dont know if someone adressed this comment already, but I did some metal style stuff on an epiphone sheratton 2. It sounded ok for that, tho im sure if you walked on stage with one, all the metal heads would be like, "WTH is this guy doin with that guitar?", before they heard it that is.
i'm sure it could be done...i was tihnking more in terms of feedback from the body style.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter
Dude, what, are you kidding? ES-335 style guitars have shown up in all sorts of rock formats, from classic to metal. In fact, as I mentioned before, the Nuge's main axe is an ES-175, which, loosely speaking, it is a jazzbox. Mind you, it's a little more bluesy in style that a straight jazzbox, but still, hardly the kind of metal guitar you'd expect the Nuge to play, assuming you were to have made that assumption. Think of the Nuge as Zakk Wylde's godfather, and you'll get the idea.

Of course, your point may be well taken, if in fact the metal crowd you were walking out in front of was all about looks and not about sound.

However, that said, BC Rich did come out with a rather interesting jazzbox/ES335 style guitar that has daggers for soundholes, so, hey, who knows.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #80
eats beef.

That is an interesting looking guitar! Not exactly my taste but interesting none the less.

Maybe I should make a guitar in the shape of New Jersey, that or Michigan, with the northern part being the head. Not neccesarily to the same scale as Utah of course.

Gear
Guitars: Schecter C1 Plus, Arbor AS350.
Amps: Behringer GMX212, Behringer GX110.
Effects: Dunlop Crybaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CS-3.

Myspace. www.myspace.com/mtlmohawk
Rock for God is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #81
hope is the bravest thing

Send a message via AIM to aiwahead Send a message via Yahoo to aiwahead
Well, Chesh, theres one thing you're sort of leaving out

335s are inherrantly different from a true Jazzbox, because it has a center block, making the tones quite a bit closer to a solidbody guitar, (And easier to control in terms of feedback.)

Anyways, as far as that goes, 335s and that Rich, as well as most Gretsch Jets, Teles, and some LPs as well, are actually semi-hollow. True "Jazz Boxes" are fully hollow, like a small (not neccisarily) acoustic with pickups stuck ontop.

But correct me if I'm wrong?

As far as this being relevant: For metal you certainly could use a true jazzbox, but you'd need to use some foam inserts to keep that under control. I know Setzer and Horton Heat do this and they arent exactly as heavily distorted in their music as a metal band.

..Being as loud.. questionable.
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock for God
That is an interesting looking guitar! Not exactly my taste but interesting none the less.
Indeed.

Quote:
Maybe I should make a guitar in the shape of New Jersey, that or Michigan, with the northern part being the head. Not neccesarily to the same scale as Utah of course.
Well, if you are going to make a double oddly-shaped guitar, why stop at using one for the body and the other for the headstock, tho that would be interesting. Why not do a double neck guitar, one neck for each part of Michigan, and then use chrome plated rods to connect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwahead
Well, Chesh, theres one thing you're sort of leaving out
Indeed?

Quote:
335s are inherrantly different from a true Jazzbox, because it has a center block, making the tones quite a bit closer to a solidbody guitar, (And easier to control in terms of feedback.)

Anyways, as far as that goes, 335s and that Rich, as well as most Gretsch Jets, Teles, and some LPs as well, are actually semi-hollow. True "Jazz Boxes" are fully hollow, like a small (not neccisarily) acoustic with pickups stuck ontop.
Indeed.

Quote:
But correct me if I'm wrong?
Quote:
..Being as loud.. questionable.
Well, that's not the point. It was about style over substance.

Quote:
As far as this being relevant: For metal you certainly could use a true jazzbox, but you'd need to use some foam inserts to keep that under control. I know Setzer and Horton Heat do this and they arent exactly as heavily distorted in their music as a metal band.
Well, I'm sure all sorts of changes could be effected. But the point is is that there are a lot of preconceived notions about what guitar goes with what genre.

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote