Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:23 AM   #121
Be happy

Personal experience isn't really the issue. Tone is the issue. I still think a $50 guitar through a $200 amp will sound better than a $200 guitar through a $50 amp. This is especially true if you use distortion. If you're playing clean with a flat EQ, the amp won't make as much of a difference, but as soon as you hit the distortion button, your amp's quality will be immediately apparent. I've played $1000 guitars through cheap amps before at Guitar Center. I've also played my Squier Strat through a Roland VGA-5. There is no comparison. I think the VGA-5 could make a Wal-Mart guitar sound good.

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #122
chris

Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach
Personal experience isn't really the issue. Tone is the issue.

I've played $1000 guitars through cheap amps before at Guitar Center. I've also played my Squier Strat through a Roland VGA-5. There is no comparison. I think the VGA-5 could make a Wal-Mart guitar sound good.
No... personal experience is not the issue. Just letting you know where my philosophy comes from... personal experience, such as your own.

Guitars: Fender MIM Strat, Squire SD-7
Amps: Peavey Rage 158, Fender Champion 300
Effects: DOD Overdrive Plus, Dunlop Crybaby, Digitech RP50, Korg Pandora
Pickups: Dean Markley Pro Mag Plus, Seymour Duncan Hot Rail
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #123
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
If all you've got is a 10w amp, I'd definitely recommend NOT getting a pedal. Save the money for a better amp. I am convinced that nothing has more effect on your guitar's sound than your amp (yes even moreso than the guitar itself). Besides, a $200 pedal cannot make a 10w amp sound good. It can make it sound a little better, but a $200 will help much more.
Hey, I said that a while ago in an effort to hijack this thread. I'm glad some of you are coming to your senses. His little amp is a hindrance more than the guitar. And, the ipod does nothing for his sound.
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #124

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Personal experience isn't really the issue. Tone is the issue. I still think a $50 guitar through a $200 amp will sound better than a $200 guitar through a $50 amp. This is especially true if you use distortion. If you're playing clean with a flat EQ, the amp won't make as much of a difference, but as soon as you hit the distortion button, your amp's quality will be immediately apparent. I've played $1000 guitars through cheap amps before at Guitar Center. I've also played my Squier Strat through a Roland VGA-5. There is no comparison. I think the VGA-5 could make a Wal-Mart guitar sound good.
haha...dang! I still wholeheartedly agree.

part of the reason that budget amps kill the tone quality is because the speakers are cheap and on practice amps they are small. an 8" speaker may sound great in your bedroom, but once you get it in a large room it becomes very apparent that you have no bottom end and a much lower overall sound quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'llcondescend
Well, it has some to do with the definition of a good guitar. I don't know if you play your jagstang or your tele most often, but (I may be corrected) you aren't playing the jagstang with stock pickups are you? New p-ups can turn some "bad p-up but good wood" guitars into great instruments.
i actually play the Telecaster most. I got into the habit of playing it for awhile and never looked back. the Duncan Designed pickups are okay...nothing special. the guitar is solid, but it cost me $160...it retails for $230 which is generally considered below the "midrange" guitar. You are correct though, my Jagstang has a SD JC in the bridge, which was a huge improvement and a SD Vintage Staggered in the neck...whether or not that was an improvement is still up in the air. Either way, both of these guitars sounded pretty mediocre through my Crate GFX-15, but the Jagstang sounded great through the Acoustic 150 and the HRDlx, and my Telecaster has sounded great through my HRDlx so far.

and my opinion doesn't come from personal experience...it's from thinking about the issue logically.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #125
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
part of the reason that budget amps kill the tone quality is because the speakers are cheap and on practice amps they are small. an 8" speaker may sound great in your bedroom, but once you get it in a large room it becomes very apparent that you have no bottom end and a much lower overall sound quality.
And that don't cut it playing in a group where other instruments are playing.
It's a whole different world than the bedroom or garage.
Unread 01-07-2006, 01:12 AM   #126
chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
And that don't cut it playing in a group where other instruments are playing.
It's a whole different world than the bedroom or garage.
I don't recall earless saying that he was in a band. Perhaps all he needs is an amp for his room. Perhaps his 10w Kustom will serve his purpose. Maybe guitar is just a hobby and not something he wants to go anywhere with. We can't really think for him. We don't know if he is going to quit in a month and pick up the mandolin. He's at the beggining of something good, so no large investments need to be rushed. He's saying iPod or new guitar, an iPod is no more than $300 in most cases, this kind of implies that he doesn't plan on spending much over that on a guitar. So telling him to buy a good amp will do nothing. A good 30w fender will run you over $270, and thats no where near the amps (marshall stack) that bob were talking about. We need to look at his price range and decide this: is his money better spent on a 30w or so amp, a $300-$400 guitar, or an iPod, that is if his price range is what I gathered. Hard to remember that this thread posed a simple question when you get into discussion over the "art of buying".

Unread 01-07-2006, 01:30 AM   #127
chris

Wow, this thread almost has more posts than the stickys in this forum, I haven't seen many get this big. Good job earless, your keeping cgr alive.

Unread 01-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #128
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
I don't recall earless saying that he was in a band. Perhaps all he needs is an amp for his room. Perhaps his 10w Kustom will serve his purpose. Maybe guitar is just a hobby and not something he wants to go anywhere with. We can't really think for him. We don't know if he is going to quit in a month and pick up the mandolin. He's at the beggining of something good, so no large investments need to be rushed. He's saying iPod or new guitar, an iPod is no more than $300 in most cases, this kind of implies that he doesn't plan on spending much over that on a guitar. So telling him to buy a good amp will do nothing. A good 30w fender will run you over $270, and thats no where near the amps (marshall stack) that bob were talking about. We need to look at his price range and decide this: is his money better spent on a 30w or so amp, a $300-$400 guitar, or an iPod, that is if his price range is what I gathered. Hard to remember that this thread posed a simple question when you get into discussion over the "art of buying".
I don't think it matters what his level of playing is. I can't imagine being inspired by a 10 watt Kustom amp. I know because I had a $1,000+ LP that I could not get to like because I was using the wrong amp. Then I got the right amp and it was like all the lights came on. If you read my first post on this (not the hijack one), I questioned why he would even have to ask this question in a guitar forum. Given his gear list, his amp is the weakest part. And why would you have him spend even $300-$400 on a guitar if he's still playing through a crummy amp? He will never know how good he can sound if the part of his playing chain that hits the ears is poor. I'm sorry if I differ from you, but I'm with Bob on this and I am a big fan of giving the amp greater weight in my setup. I've figured this out after 35 years or so of playing.
Unread 01-07-2006, 01:41 AM   #129
2 Legit 2 Quit

Why just get one when you can get both?! Ge the new Itar. A guitar with an Ipod built in that allows you to play along!
to make school party rocking.u need to have right kind of rocking band which rocks you.and makes you move.the party should be unforgettable..........
Unread 01-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #130
chris

Quote:
And why would you have him spend even $300-$400 on a guitar if he's still playing through a crummy amp? He will never know how good he can sound if the part of his playing chain that hits the ears is poor.
If you had read my last post you would see that I said we should help him to decide to get either a $300-$400 guitar, 30w or so amp (would be in the $300 range), or an iPod. I didn't just say a guitar. But he is not getting a half-stack if that's all he has to spend anyway so it's useless to talk about things he can't get. The fact that he even questioned whether or not to get a guitar or iPod makes me question his seriousness about playing.

Unread 01-07-2006, 01:56 AM   #131
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
The fact that he even questioned whether or not to get a guitar or iPod makes me question his seriousness about playing.
That's exactly my point. My first post said that for me, the dilemma would be amp or guitar. And I don't own a half stack or have no desire for anything over 50 watts (tube). I agree, the amount he wanted to spend would be better spent on a good amp - so that, maybe, he could be inspired to become serious when he hears what it's like playing through a better amp.
Unread 01-07-2006, 02:01 AM   #132
chris

Quote:
That's exactly my point. My first post said that for me, the dilemma would be amp or guitar. And I don't own a half stack or have no desire for anything over 50 watts (tube). I agree, the amount he wanted to spend would be better spent on a good amp - so that, maybe, he could be inspired to become serious when he hears what it's like playing through a better amp.
*nods* All is now right in the world... agreement. I <<< I would be the one to get a guitar first. But the importance of the amp cannot be downplayed, not at all. If his guitar is playable, then fine get a good amp. If not, get a guitar. Tis really that simple.

Unread 01-07-2006, 02:10 AM   #133

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
If you had read my last post you would see that I said we should help him to decide to get either a $300-$400 guitar, 30w or so amp (would be in the $300 range), or an iPod. I didn't just say a guitar. But he is not getting a half-stack if that's all he has to spend anyway so it's useless to talk about things he can't get. The fact that he even questioned whether or not to get a guitar or iPod makes me question his seriousness about playing.
Not that it matters, but i've seen two Fender HRDeluxes on Craigslist in the past week for $300 or less...thats ALOT of amp for the price...it'll outdo alot of SS halfstacks.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #134

Send a message via MSN to TG-da-JF
most of you dudes get off topic talking bout anything but the ipod - guitar battle.
to the dude maybe buying an ipod: I was first scraping money to buy a huge computer upgrade so i could play those new games on it like half-life 2 and newer games. but i found out that evrything getting me addicted and off from the guitar is bad... God created us to be creative and not staring like zombies to a screen or only listening to music. be creative and buy a guitar wich will make you creative and not listening to music 24/7 like a zombie. thats my comment for today .

92% of teens have changed to rap music. If you're part of that last 8%, put this in your sig.

Bandana
Unread 01-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #135
Be happy

Quote:
He's saying iPod or new guitar, an iPod is no more than $300 in most cases, this kind of implies that he doesn't plan on spending much over that on a guitar. So telling him to buy a good amp will do nothing. A good 30w fender will run you over $270, and thats no where near the amps (marshall stack) that bob were talking about. We need to look at his price range and decide this: is his money better spent on a 30w or so amp, a $300-$400 guitar, or an iPod, that is if his price range is what I gathered.
I wasn't just spouting crap when I said he should consider getting a good amp. He could get a 100 watt, 2-channel amp with Celestion speakers from a reputable and high-quality company for $280.

Behold the Carvin SX100.