Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #106

well everybody this has been an awesome thread, even though all the opinions have really made me consider to get that one or this one i don't know which one. I decided not to get either until i am guaranteed (how do you spell that?) a job. If i was to get the guitar then not get the job i wouldn't really be upset because a guitar is like a need that can wait and the ipod is a want. So if i got the ipod and then find out no job, i may be a little upset. Once again my mind has changed and i am leaning a little more to the guitar, but we'll see once that day comes. Thanks every one for stating you opinions. Continue posting here if you want, but i think i am done (unless someone has something that could change my mind er something), i will "regenerate" this thread once i have bought either one and tell about it.

Thank You

Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #107

Send a message via MSN to TG-da-JF
i dont care, i still post...

i wouldnt go for the ipod. It would give you the temptation to turn it on too loud and blast your ears to deaf/death. It isolates you from the world around you. Its too expensive and has the same functions a good cellphone could do even better. Why wanting to have 3000000(three millon) hours of music if you can just listen to one song at a time? Sure... if you would go on a holiday and listen to the same songs all the time you would go crazy but you can do other things instead... or go to a Hard Rock cafe or so. Buy a good guitar and it will be more entertaining than just listening. Stop consuming and start producing. well... im off... time to sleep... and i could go on for years thinking of reasons why not to buy an ipod. Its poppy by the way. everyone has it so it iritates me. people are born to be different. i just hate pop.
im off

92% of teens have changed to rap music. If you're part of that last 8%, put this in your sig.

Bandana
Unread 01-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #108

dude, you just had to post that so i would reply AGAIN didn't you?! Well i just can't help it, what makes you think they're poppy, i mean i can sorta see why. I mean they have big advantages, but tonight after talking with my good friend who also plays guitar i practically decided to go with the guitar . But my mind changes like crazy man, but if i get the guitar i'd probably want to get some kind of pedal to. Alright now i'm done. (ya right )
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #109
Be happy

Never ever ever buy a pedal just because you want a pedal. If you don't know what the different effects do and which one would work best for you, just stay away. It's best to learn to play without effects first, anyway.
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #110
chris

Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach
Never ever ever buy a pedal just because you want a pedal. If you don't know what the different effects do and which one would work best for you, just stay away. It's best to learn to play without effects first, anyway.
You're right, it is best to learn to play without effects. I would take it a step further and say that it is best to learn on an acoustic guitar, but that's just my opinion. But earless has a 10 watt amp and it probably doesn't have just an awesome amount of built in overdrive or anything so if he just wanted a pedal for some added distortion or something, I don't see how that could hurt him. You know some people start playing because they want to be like their favorite artists. They don't realize that it takes work in the very beginning but it doesn't take long. And say earless favorite artist is, just random, Kurt Cobain, then I would say buy the pedal. *shrugs* If he has someone help him make an educated decision on a pedal, coughCGRcough, then it wouldn't really hurt him. If he couldn't incorporate now he would probably be able to in the near future. Teach a kid a power chord and give him some od and he might turn into Johnny Ramone.

God Bless
Chris

Guitars: Fender MIM Strat, Squire SD-7
Amps: Peavey Rage 158, Fender Champion 300
Effects: DOD Overdrive Plus, Dunlop Crybaby, Digitech RP50, Korg Pandora
Pickups: Dean Markley Pro Mag Plus, Seymour Duncan Hot Rail
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #111

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'llcondescend
But earless has a 10 watt amp and it probably doesn't have just an awesome amount of built in overdrive or anything so if he just wanted a pedal for some added distortion or something, I don't see how that could hurt him.
i think his point was more than earless just said,
Quote:
but if i get the guitar i'd probably want to get some kind of pedal to
which makes it sound like, "hey...if i get a guitar, i should probably get a pedal too"...which to me says, "i don't know very much about pedals, but i think i'm going to get one"

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #112
Be happy

If all you've got is a 10w amp, I'd definitely recommend NOT getting a pedal. Save the money for a better amp. I am convinced that nothing has more effect on your guitar's sound than your amp (yes even moreso than the guitar itself). Besides, a $200 pedal cannot make a 10w amp sound good. It can make it sound a little better, but a $200 will help much more.
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #113
chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
i think his point was more than earless just said, which makes it sound like, "hey...if i get a guitar, i should probably get a pedal too"...which to me says, "i don't know very much about pedals, but i think i'm going to get one"
Point clear, point taken. He should learn a bit more perhaps and I didn't pick that up in the undertone. But if he knows what any pedal can do period, and if he has any idea of what he wants to sound like in the future, then I think he should get a pedal. Guitar first!! But then a pedal, and CGR can help guide him through the process.

Unread 01-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #114
Be happy

My order of importance: Good amp, fresh strings, good guitar, good effects.
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #115
chris

Quote:
If all you've got is a 10w amp, I'd definitely recommend NOT getting a pedal. Save the money for a better amp. I am convinced that nothing has more effect on your guitar's sound than your amp (yes even moreso than the guitar itself). Besides, a $200 pedal cannot make a 10w amp sound good. It can make it sound a little better, but a $200 will help much more.
Get a Dani Fab or something. I remember just the thrill of having gear that I didn't know how to use! That's not a good thing I know, but like I said above ^^, if he knows what he wants to sound like then he can kind of make that happen for cheap. But you're right in saying that in the long run, as far as tone is concerned and playing period, he should save for a bigger amp. But if he has $20 lying around on a rainy day, pick up a Fab. They aren't the best by any means. But they could hold him over, but then again I don't know what it would sound like through his 10w Kustom.

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #116
chris

Quote:
My order of importance: Good amp, fresh strings, good guitar, good effects.
You put a good amp before a good guitar???

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #117
Be happy

Quote:
Absolutely. Go to a guitar store and play a PRS through a 15w Crate amp, and then play a Squier Affinity Strat through a Marshall stack. Tell me which one sounds better. If you said the first one sounded better, look up "mental hospital" in the nearest phone book.
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #118

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
i'd do it...i'm doing it currently and i'm probably sticking with my current rig for awhile because it works.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #119
chris

Quote:
i'd do it...i'm doing it currently and i'm probably sticking with my current rig for awhile because it works.
I prefer a good guitar, and a decent amp. But here's how it happened with me. I first got an acoustic guitar, the Squire SD-7. Well I eventually grew tired and bought a Dean Markley soundhole pickup and a peavey amp. I played through the amp before I bought it. Anyway, when I got my electric guitar I already had an amp. When I bought the amp originally I didn't intend on getting an electric guitar, but my 13 year old self soon realized that amp or not, an acoustic guitar was in fact an acoustic guitar. So to make a long story short, I started out with a cheap 15w amp, then got a good Strat. After I got the strat I bought a better amp. So this is where my philosophy came from. Playing a good guitar through a decent Peavey amp held me over until I could save for a better amp. When you're on a tight budget that's how it has to happen... chaotically (sp?).

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #120
chris

Quote:
Well, it has some to do with the definition of a good guitar. I don't know if you play your jagstang or your tele most often, but (I may be corrected) you aren't playing the jagstang with stock pickups are you? New p-ups can turn some "bad p-up but good wood" guitars into great instruments.

Closed Thread