Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #76
chris

Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
actually, audiologists are becoming convinced that the "iPOD generation" is growing deaf because ear buds send the sound directly into the ear. also, even if the sound isn't loud, constant sound can be just as damaging to your ears. here's a couple articles

1) http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...ge=1&pagePos=1
2)http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/...5-hearing.html

TIME WARP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50's kid number 1
We're all going to die due to ATOMIC BOMBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50's kid number 2
Actually, scientists think that getting under our wooden school desks will save us from an atomic blast. Just get under the desk
You can't always believe the "ologists" in the world. Although it is common sense that too much noise will damage your ears, I don't believe ear buds can be any more damaging than other headphones. That like swimming and then refusing to use a microwave because of your fear of radiation.

Guitars: Fender MIM Strat, Squire SD-7
Amps: Peavey Rage 158, Fender Champion 300
Effects: DOD Overdrive Plus, Dunlop Crybaby, Digitech RP50, Korg Pandora
Pickups: Dean Markley Pro Mag Plus, Seymour Duncan Hot Rail
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #77

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'llcondescend
TIME WARP!!!!

You can't always believe the "ologists" in the world. Although it is common sense that too much noise will damage your ears, I don't believe ear buds can be any more damaging than other headphones. That like swimming and then refusing to use a microwave because of your fear of radiation.
actually i think the "under the desk" thing also had alot to do with protecting you from the ceiling falling down and the windows exploding on the outer edges of the blast radius...

it actually makes alot of sense that ear buds will do more damage...they're INSIDE your ear canal...other headphones at least dissapate a little bit of sound to the outer ear.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #78
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'llcondescend
I don't believe ear buds can be any more damaging than other headphones.
No one believed cigarettes could kill you either.
Unread 01-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #79
Resigned.

Send a message via AIM to Soap
AH-HA! Time for a longitudinal study. Everyone here with iPods: 1/3 of you listen to them at low, 1/3 at medium, 1/3 at high....then we wait 10 years and compare these results to those who dont listen to earbuds. Then we separate those into two groups: those who play loud music (literally playing, like guitar) and attend concerts frequently and those who dont.

So umm...I'll meet you all back here in 10 years, same time same date. Tell me what your ear doctors have told you. Then, ONLY THEN, will we know the true answer.
Unread 01-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #80
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2282
definitely get the guitar, IPods are just a trend. lets all get our ipods and go to starbucks!!! woo hoo!!! we can be cool!! i think there extremely overrated. i prefer one of the smaller mp3 players 1GB is more than enough. and there much much less. like your gonna listen to more than 400 songs a time anyway. how much can u spend? if you dont plan to spend over 300$ on the guitar then it might be better to wait till you can buy something nicer.

1 GB is more than enough? Im sorry, this is just plain looney. I use my ipod primarily as a car sterio or on my bike. (Earbuds into cut channels in my helmet external to the ear.) It is very convenient to be able to take all your cd's with you and then put it all in your pocket and go in with it to work. Really minimizes theft risks or scratching of cd's.

My thought here though is to go with the guitar though. The ability to play is more important than the ability to listen when you are stressing out in college.

My Life.
Unread 01-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #81

I find that music helps me study and remember things... Just a thought.
Unread 01-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #82
Hello!

Send a message via AIM to Timberwolf
Get the guitar.

"They didn't die from cold without, but they died from cold within" - August Burns Reds pretty sick...

"Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith."
Unread 01-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #83

just get a new guitar and then bcum so good that ppl will hv ur songz on their ipods!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2282
definitely get the guitar, IPods are just a trend. lets all get our ipods and go to starbucks!!! woo hoo!!! we can be cool!! i think there extremely overrated. i prefer one of the smaller mp3 players 1GB is more than enough. and there much much less. like your gonna listen to more than 400 songs a time anyway. how much can u spend? if you dont plan to spend over 300$ on the guitar then it might be better to wait till you can buy something nicer.
It's all a matter of personal opinion. I listen to all 2000 songs on mine everyday. I listen to my ipod at about 80% in the car and when I'm listening over people talking, but the most of the time I listen to it at halfway. If you don't want to be deaf, then just listen to it low, or get regular headphones if you think it makes a difference. And if ipods are just a trend, they sure are a good one! Just pick what you want, but if I where you, I'd go for the ipod.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
Unread 01-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #85
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioAUnderdog
It's all a matter of personal opinion. I listen to all 2000 songs on mine everyday. I listen to my ipod at about 80% in the car and when I'm listening over people talking, but the most of the time I listen to it at halfway. If you don't want to be deaf, then just listen to it low, or get regular headphones if you think it makes a difference. And if ipods are just a trend, they sure are a good one! Just pick what you want, but if I where you, I'd go for the ipod.

2000 songs on your ipod, averaging 3 minutes each, that is 6000 minutes of music, which is 100 hrs, which means you would have to listen to your ipod for 4 days and 4 hrs every day for this statement to be true, assuming you have relatively normal length songs on there.

My Life.
Unread 01-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
2000 songs on your ipod, averaging 3 minutes each, that is 6000 minutes of music, which is 100 hrs, which means you would have to listen to your ipod for 4 days and 4 hrs every day for this statement to be true, assuming you have relatively normal length songs on there.
I listen to all the music on my ipod, but it does take more than a day. To make myself clear, I listen to something new (New meaning different than what I heard yesterday.) everyday. That's what I like about my ipod, I can DJ for myself when the radio doesn't have anything good on, and I have have a bunch of options.

Guitars: Highway One Tele, Empress Tele, USACG Custom Strat

Amp: Peavey Classic 30 and borrowed Fender Twin

Effects: Mojo Hand FX Rook OD, SBN Screamin' Eagle OD, Mojo Hand FX Crosstown Fuzz, SBN BDAB, MXR Carbon Copy, Mojo Hand FX Bayou Tremolo
Unread 01-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #87
Resigned.

Send a message via AIM to Soap
TO WHOMEVER STARTED THIS THREAD:

You have come to the wrong place. No matter what question you ask on this message board there will always be very strong and equal arguements for both sides. Sad but true...we are just simply a community who can never make up their minds.

lol.
Unread 01-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #88
Sarcasm? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapbarII

You have come to the wrong place. No matter what question you ask on this message board there will always be very strong and equal arguements for both sides. Sad but true...we are just simply a community who can never make up their minds.

lol.
because that's life, you have to make decisions like this on your mown, forums are just a place to go to see things from a different perspective, so you don't miss something and do something you might regret.

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapbarII

lol.
ya irealized everyoine won't totally agree, but hey its great conversation, so please everyone please continue.

But seriously if i do get the ipod first, 20 gig 4th generation good? I mean i have a guitar but i also have a discman . But of course if i get a job right away, i'll get both! I mean its one or the other, i am getting both (most likely), its just one a few months before the other so i mean, which first? I"M GOING CRAZY!! I was planning on spending up to $500 on the new guitar and up to $300 on the ipod, can you get a 20 gig, 4th generation for under $300? i'm pretty sure you can get an epiphone SG for about $500, and if i find one used ALL THE BETTER.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Unread 01-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #90
Pearl plays her guitar

Get a better amp. Just a feeble attempt to hijack this thread!
Closed Thread