Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #166
Registered User
 
earlessdog's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,792
alright, so if i had a 50w SS amp and a 50w tube amp the tube will be louder. How much louder, i mean will it sound like a 75w Solid State amp?

__________________
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #167
Registered User
 

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,683
It depends how high your volume knob is set. Solid state amps have a linear increase in volume as you increase the volume knob. Tube amps have more of a curve to their volume control.

Example: If a SS amp's volume is at 3, then you put it up to 6, it will be roughly twice as loud. Do that with a tube amp, it could be 4 times as loud.

50w of tube power will be MUCH louder than any 75w SS amp. In some cases, a 50w tube amo could be louder than a 200w SS amp.
__________________
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul
Ryan Freeland is offline  
Unread 01-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #168
Registered User
 
earlessdog's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
It depends how high your volume knob is set. Solid state amps have a linear increase in volume as you increase the volume knob. Tube amps have more of a curve to their volume control.

Example: If a SS amp's volume is at 3, then you put it up to 6, it will be roughly twice as loud. Do that with a tube amp, it could be 4 times as loud.

50w of tube power will be MUCH louder than any 75w SS amp. In some cases, a 50w tube amo could be louder than a 200w SS amp.
wow, thats crazy. So if there were a 100ft by 100ft room, would it fill it with volume to spare? i mean like a 50 or 75w tube amp.
__________________
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline  
Unread 01-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #169
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog
wow, thats crazy. So if there were a 100ft by 100ft room, would it fill it with volume to spare? i mean like a 50 or 75w tube amp.
it would vary by speaker config. 50W through a 1x12" might blow the eardrums on a guy standing in front of it, but the guy five feet to the right of the projection radius is going to be saying, "hey, can you turn that thing up?"

Also, the argument has been made that the reason SS amps aren't as loud as tube watt for watt is because SS amps are generally outfitted with lower quality speakers.
The other version i've heard is that the even-order harmonics introduced by tube amps bolster the signal thus making it seem louder to the human ear.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline  
Unread 01-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #170
Registered User
 
earlessdog's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
it would vary by speaker config. 50W through a 1x12" might blow the eardrums on a guy standing in front of it, but the guy five feet to the right of the projection radius is going to be saying, "hey, can you turn that thing up?"

Also, the argument has been made that the reason SS amps aren't as loud as tube watt for watt is because SS amps are generally outfitted with lower quality speakers.
The other version i've heard is that the even-order harmonics introduced by tube amps bolster the signal thus making it seem louder to the human ear.
so what size speaker would you suggest for a nice width of hearing?
__________________
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline  
Unread 01-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #171
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog
so what size speaker would you suggest for a nice width of hearing?
for a 100x100 room, I suggest setting up in a corner with a 4x10 or 2x12, or just running through the PA.

I actually did just fine in a room that i believe was slightly larger than 100x100 with a Fender Princeton Chorus (2x10", 2x25W SS)

also at this point, i'd suggest making another thread in a certain Amps and Accessories forum if your iPOD questing is over, I suggest this thread goes to rest now.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline  
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:50 PM   #172
chris
 
i'llcondescend's Avatar
 

Joined: May 2004
Location: Alabama
Posts: 224
Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
This is the thread that doesn't end... yes.. it goes on and on my friend, started out about an ipod or a new lp guitar, but we'll continue posting here because it's better than eating mud.. yes... this is the thread that doesn't end... it goes on an.................

chris
__________________
Visit the Corner 7 Records MySpace! www.myspace.com/chrisgasque

Guitars: Fender MIM Strat, Squire SD-7
Amps: Peavey Rage 158, Fender Champion 300
Effects: DOD Overdrive Plus, Dunlop Crybaby, Digitech RP50, Korg Pandora
Pickups: Dean Markley Pro Mag Plus, Seymour Duncan Hot Rail
i'llcondescend is offline  
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:04 AM   #173
...
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,142
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
or does it?

-closed
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2