Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach
I wasn't just spouting crap when I said he should consider getting a good amp. He could get a 100 watt, 2-channel amp with Celestion speakers from a reputable and high-quality company for $280.

Behold the Carvin SX100.
Indeed. Even though it's SS, it's one heck of an amp for $280.

Unread 01-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #137

alright to every one this answers to i'm replying to them. First off guitar just isn't a little "hobby" guitar is seriously the only thing i think about (pretty much) i have been playing for 3+ years and ever since guitar has been my life (almost). People are thinkin i'm not serious cause i only have a 10w, i can't always afford a big amp guys, and if your questioning "if he can't afford a new amp but can a guitar . . . " its because my guitar ain't that good, towards the high frets like 17th on, the frets are higher so my strings have to be higher to make a sound. Its not always nice to play on, thats why i need a new guitar, maybe so i can learn lead easier since the strings are closer to the fret board, and i will likely need to learn lead if i form a BAND with my friends, although the one doesn't have drums yet. Ever since i got the guitar i have been dreaming of the BAND everyday! Now i'm not as stupid as what you think, i know what a pedal does, it was a suggestion ok, i don't need to learn on acoustic first now cause i have already learn't. Something popped in my head, scratch the ipod ( ), and instead of getting both i could get a new guitar and a new amp. Then my pedal if i have the money? I pretty much only play metal rythem and such, and usually make up my own stuff and think of lead joining into it. But i don't only play rythem which is why i wouldn't mind a distortion pedal, you guys made it sound like i didn't know what the hec a pedal was. So what do you think new guitar, and when i was GONNA get the ipod, get a new used amp instead? The guitar most likely Epi SG, i don't know much real good bigger amps. A bigger amp with a minimum of 100w would be nice, but thats a crap load of money. so . . .
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Unread 01-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #138
Sarcasm? What's that?

so like waht types of amps you looking at? prices? the on;y things i've seen in the hundred watt range (new) are carvin SXs and a few crates...but i'm sure there's better stuff used...maybe an MTS? a spider II?

electric guitars: carvin bolt, cort z22
acoustic guitar: cort earth 200gc
amps: carvin VL100 legacy head, peavey rockmaster pre, carvin sx200c
effects: krank distortus maximus
cab: mesa oversized recto 4x12
Unread 01-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #139
Take You Back

if you already have a guitar, take the ipod
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by What5647
so like waht types of amps you looking at? prices? the on;y things i've seen in the hundred watt range (new) are carvin SXs and a few crates...but i'm sure there's better stuff used...maybe an MTS? a spider II?
what about this, i wouldn't spend that much but i mean if it were used. How about this one or would you suggest a head with something with a cabinet or something? something that would go with a SG

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #141
chris

Send a message via AIM to i'llcondescend
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlessdog
alright to every one this answers to i'm replying to them. First off guitar just isn't a little "hobby" guitar is seriously the only thing i think about (pretty much) i have been playing for 3+ years and ever since guitar has been my life (almost). People are thinkin i'm not serious cause i only have a 10w, i can't always afford a big amp guys, and if your questioning "if he can't afford a new amp but can a guitar . . . " its because my guitar ain't that good, towards the high frets like 17th on, the frets are higher so my strings have to be higher to make a sound. Its not always nice to play on, thats why i need a new guitar, maybe so i can learn lead easier since the strings are closer to the fret board, and i will likely need to learn lead if i form a BAND with my friends, although the one doesn't have drums yet. Ever since i got the guitar i have been dreaming of the BAND everyday! Now i'm not as stupid as what you think, i know what a pedal does, it was a suggestion ok, i don't need to learn on acoustic first now cause i have already learn't. Something popped in my head, scratch the ipod ( ), and instead of getting both i could get a new guitar and a new amp. Then my pedal if i have the money? I pretty much only play metal rythem and such, and usually make up my own stuff and think of lead joining into it. But i don't only play rythem which is why i wouldn't mind a distortion pedal, you guys made it sound like i didn't know what the hec a pedal was. So what do you think new guitar, and when i was GONNA get the ipod, get a new used amp instead? The guitar most likely Epi SG, i don't know much real good bigger amps. A bigger amp with a minimum of 100w would be nice, but thats a crap load of money. so . . .

I don't believe anyone intended on giving you the impression that they thought you knew nothing about guitar. We all (Bob, steve, hopeful, myself etc.) kind of had to guess at your knowledge and seriousness because you haven't really told us much about your level of playing. I know I was the one saying to learn on an acoustic, but that was more of how I think it is best to start. It makes playing electric easier because the strings are much harder to get used to on an acoustic, but I wasn't saying that you were just learning. No insult was intended by anyone I assure you.

If you need a distortion pedal get one, but get a new guitar first since you said your guitar isn't always nice to play on. Amps can always be borrowed if you need one. Don't take the amp off your priority list and some of these Carvins they are showing you might be good to look at. But everyone's opinions will differ.

And between me and you I can relate to the "that's a crapload of money" feeling!!

Guitars: Fender MIM Strat, Squire SD-7
Amps: Peavey Rage 158, Fender Champion 300
Effects: DOD Overdrive Plus, Dunlop Crybaby, Digitech RP50, Korg Pandora
Pickups: Dean Markley Pro Mag Plus, Seymour Duncan Hot Rail
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #142

Send a message via MSN to TG-da-JF
Lightbulb

Quote:
good. and again the guitar wins. and the other guy... he had switchfoot, relient k and others in his sig... he listens to pop and does what everyone does. be alternative. im gonna play in a band too. im gonna make it big if i can.

92% of teens have changed to rap music. If you're part of that last 8%, put this in your sig.

Bandana
Unread 01-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #143

Quote:
what about this, i wouldn't spend that much but i mean if it were used. How about this one or would you suggest a head with something with a cabinet or something? something that would go with a SG
Get a tube amp.. Get a tube amp.. Get a tube amp..

Peavey ValveKing 112.
Unread 01-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
Get a tube amp.. Get a tube amp.. Get a tube amp..

Peavey ValveKing 112.
what exactly does a tube amp put out thats so much better?
i always hear that tube amps are better.

Unread 01-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #145

Quote:
what exactly does a tube amp put out thats so much better?
i always hear that tube amps are better.
Tube amps give you a warmer, fuller sound. They will also be louder, and in my opinion and many other's as well, better than a solid state amp. I'm not putting SS amps down though. I own a Line 6 Spider II, a SS amp, I love it, but you have to tweak it a lot to find your tone you're looking for.
Unread 01-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #146

Quote:
Tube amps give you a warmer, fuller sound. They will also be louder, and in my opinion and many other's as well, better than a solid state amp. I'm not putting SS amps down though. I own a Line 6 Spider II, a SS amp, I love it, but you have to tweak it a lot to find your tone you're looking for.
alright, when i go for an amp maybe i'll try to get some kind of tube amp

Unread 01-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #147
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
I don't mind saying this again and again. Can you please tell me what a "warmer and fuller sound" is? I have two tube amps, a SS practice amp and a Behringer V-Amp2 modeler/processor. They all sound good to me. But, "warmer or fuller" - I don't get. Don't buy into the "tube amp is best" hype. The amp manufacturers are eating this up and the audience won't care one bit. They don't care if you can tell the difference, they only care if you sound good. And you can sound good with skill and decent gear, tube or otherwise. I have also realized over the years that you have to be willing to take the time to tweak your knobs to find the sound you like, no matter if you have a tube or SS amp. It's in there if you're willing to take the time to find it. There is no "microwave" sound, though there are a ton of gear manufacturers selling a lot of product this way.

So, buy the best amp you can afford, tube or SS, used or new, but get a decent one, please.

With respect to your guitar, maybe all you need is a good adjustment to make it more playable. I can guarantee you this, if you have a good amp, any guitar you get will sound better.

To TG-da-JF, you are only partially correct. If you want to make it big, why stop at alternative? Why not learn jazz, country, classic rock, surf, pop, blues, etc? The more styles you can play, the more people will notice you. See what great studio musicians like Jimmy Page, Steve Cropper, Larry Carlton, etc. have been able to do with their careers simply by being flexible. Again, learn to play clean, overdriven, distorted or whatever. The music industry is a lot different than what you think it is and for every guitar slinger that makes it, many more don't.
Unread 01-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #148

Quote:
To TG-da-JF, you are only partially correct. If you want to make it big, why stop at alternative? Why not learn jazz, country, classic rock, surf, pop, blues, etc? The more styles you can play, the more people will notice you. See what great studio musicians like Jimmy Page, Steve Cropper, Larry Carlton, etc. have been able to do with their careers simply by being flexible. Again, learn to play clean, overdriven, distorted or whatever. The music industry is a lot different than what you think it is and for every guitar slinger that makes it, many more don't.
ok... hmmm... im just a bit of a beginner... is it fine if i just start off with hard rock?

92% of teens have changed to rap music. If you're part of that last 8%, put this in your sig.

Bandana
Unread 01-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #149

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG-da-JF
ok... hmmm... im just a bit of a beginner... is it fine if i just start off with hard rock?
it doesn't matter what you start with...just play the guitar!

I'm a podcaster
Unread 01-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
it doesn't matter what you start with...just play the guitar!
lol, im not a noob either you know. playing for 5 months now... just need more motivation. i think of putting my computer elsewhere than my room cuz its too much distraction. BUT... the tabs are on the internet .

Bandana
Closed Thread