Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-28-2005, 04:26 AM   #1
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Send a message via ICQ to mt_spiffy Send a message via AIM to mt_spiffy Send a message via MSN to mt_spiffy Send a message via Yahoo to mt_spiffy Send a message via Skype™ to mt_spiffy
"Custom Light" Acoustic Strings

Anyone here use these? Any particular reason why or why not?

I recently bought a new acoustic. I'm primarily an electric player, hadn't played acoustic much since my Alvarez was stolen. So I bought a nice Ovation (you either love them or you dont, I love them) and had it set up with Elixir 12s. The action is very nice, but I noticed when playing barre chords on the higher frets (i.e. the 9th, 10th, etc) the strings lose some clarity and "ring". This will get better as I get back in to shape playing acoustic, but I also wondered if perhaps using lighter strings would improve it a bit as well. Most of my area music stores carried only 12s and 10s, and that seemed like an awfully big jump down, however the music stores assured me that 10s were the next size down for acoustic. I caught wind of the custom 11s online, and upon closer inspection, they seem a bit odd. Look at how the gauges stack up:

010 014 023 030 039 047
011 015 022 032 042 052
012 016 024 032 042 053

The first two strings are the logical step in between . . . the last three are the same for the 12s and 11s, distant from the 10s . . . and most suprisingly the G string is smaller on the Customs than on the 10s!

I figure there has to be some special design setup for that, some reason for the variation off the linear graph. The web sites dont mention it, they just want to sell me strings in any particular size.

Anyone know why the 11s are set up the way they are? How different do they play from 12s, seeing as the larger strings are very 12-ish? Any other information about the custom lights? I think I'm going to buy some, putting 10s on an acoustic seems almost criminal to me, at least without trying it . . .

Last edited by mt_spiffy; 12-28-2005 at 04:28 AM. Reason: typo
mt_spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky gauged 11-15-22w-30-42-52 on my Seagull and I'm very happy with them overall.
To my ears and hands they're not as thin sounding and feeling as a set of 10s and not as much tension as a set of 12s.
Since I only play my acoustic maybe once a week I appreciate the 'easier' feel of the 11s while still getting a rich acoustic sound.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

yip, i've used 11's quite a bit on acoustic. keep in mind that the gauges you listed above can and will vary sometimes depending on the brand of string it is.
i used the elixir 11's 'custom light' when i played mostly acoustic. of course 'custom light' is defined different by different companies as well. sometimes it's not even 11's.
i used them for the same reason as dave pretty much.
Unread 12-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Send a message via ICQ to mt_spiffy Send a message via AIM to mt_spiffy Send a message via MSN to mt_spiffy Send a message via Yahoo to mt_spiffy Send a message via Skype™ to mt_spiffy
Well,sounds like you're happy with the 11s for the same reasons I'm looking to use them. Good to know. Still wondering about the funny way the gauges go!
Unread 12-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #5

Acoustic guitar string sets always seem odd to me as far as the gauges, they aren't even in the amount of tension at standard pitch like electric sets.
Unread 12-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

For the record, I traded the 10s for 11s, and put them on. I'm either going to keep them or go back to the 12s. They improved greatly (but not completley) the problem I was discussing, but do feel noticably thinner, and a bit more fret buzz. Action might need to be tweaked.

BTW if I decide to stick with the 11s, if anyone wants them, I could sell cheap the set of 12s I put on there. They're Elixirs, were on the guitar for maybe a week or so, never played out of the house, and I always wash my hands before playing and wipe the strings down before and after . . . they're essentially a new set of strings. Would anyone be interested in that?
Unread 12-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #7

I have a set of extra light gauge on one of my acoustics,and I'm not happy with the feel of them. It's like play my Strat,and it's not as heavy sounding as I want it to be.Tommorow,I'm going to put either 11's or the 12's back on.
Unread 12-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #8

I'm trying out some D'Adderio's .11-.52,I'm putting them on tonight!
Unread 01-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATMAN
I'm trying out some D'Adderio's .11-.52,I'm putting them on tonight!
And how did they work out?
Unread 01-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #10

Great! I really like them,best choice I made since I bought my Takamine.It is a perfect fit,the .11-52 D'Addarios and the Takamine,the Epiphone still gets Elixers .12-.54. The best part of using Custom lights is that I can still tune my guitar down a half step,and not lose any playability.
Unread 01-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
Dan ''Spiffy'' Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATMAN
Great! I really like them,best choice I made since I bought my Takamine.It is a perfect fit,the .11-52 D'Addarios and the Takamine,the Epiphone still gets Elixers .12-.54. The best part of using Custom lights is that I can still tune my guitar down a half step,and not lose any playability.
Elixir makes Custom Lights, I'm not sure if you didnt know that, or just want brand variety.
Unread 01-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #12

I find that Elixers don't really sound good on my Takamine,they were the first set of strings I put on there. My first choice was John Pearse strings,but they didn't have in that size either.Now I use Elixers on my other guitar,the Epiphone PR-350CE. They sound great and they last forever,since I hardly play it anymore.It just my ears I guess,to the string selection. Everybody has their own tastes for sounds.