Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-26-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Send a message via AIM to +Donny
Lot offering his daughters

I remember seeing a reference somewhere that there was some historical/cultural thing that made his action of offering his daughters to the mob outside his house not as heinous as it seems. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or is it universally accepted that he was sinning in this? And the same goes for the example in Judges.

It's probably nothing, but I don't remember seeing any condemnation of these actions, which just rings a bit odd to me. I understand the whole significance of hospitality in ancient cultures, especially to heavenly guests in the case of Lot, but that doesn't justify it.

Unread 12-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
Laborer/Philosopher

That just doesn't give me an "Aha!" reaction. And everybody knows that I use that "Aha!" reaction to tell me what's true.

(My apologies to Susan Hurley.)

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2005, 11:53 PM   #3
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Okay, that was a really wierd link.
Unread 12-26-2005, 11:55 PM   #4
Primordial Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Donny
I remember seeing a reference somewhere that there was some historical/cultural thing that made his action of offering his daughters to the mob outside his house not as heinous as it seems. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or is it universally accepted that he was sinning in this? And the same goes for the example in Judges.

It's probably nothing, but I don't remember seeing any condemnation of these actions, which just rings a bit odd to me. I understand the whole significance of hospitality in ancient cultures, especially to heavenly guests in the case of Lot, but that doesn't justify it.
You can legally sell your daughters to be whores in the Old Testament. Exodus 21:7.
Unread 12-27-2005, 01:10 AM   #5
Laborer/Philosopher

Quote:
Okay, that was a really wierd link.
Yes, but we who sad individuals who walk in analytic philosophy circles find such Proofs That P to be in the top echelon of humor, right next to farting noises and Alf. We are certainly an odd bunch.

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roberson
Yes, but we who sad individuals who walk in analytic philosophy circles find such Proofs That P to be in the top echelon of humor, right next to farting noises and Alf. We are certainly an odd bunch.
You are far too kind to yourself; "odd" is not the proper word here.

BTW, just because I feel like it, what the heck is analytic philosophy, as opposed to other philosophy?
Unread 12-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #7
Dogbert's back!

Quote:

No, that wasn't right to do, though it's kinda weird to think about. You either end up going too hard or too easy on Lot about this. While he was in a desperate situation with really no idea what to do, he completely forgot about the two angels that were with him, which shows a bit of a lack of faith. That's all I can give you right now.

"Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99% perspiration, which is why engineers sometimes smell really bad."

"When you forsake your victories to fix your failures, is it any wonder you've got nothing to celebrate?"

Devotional: Arrogant Speech and Lying Rulers (7/9/08)
Jenacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
A fan of the lemer[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenacen
No, that wasn't right to do, though it's kinda weird to think about. You either end up going too hard or too easy on Lot about this. While he was in a desperate situation with really no idea what to do, he completely forgot about the two angels that were with him, which shows a bit of a lack of faith. That's all I can give you right now.
No, he definitely didn't forget about him. Look at his logic. He appeals to the mob and mentions that those men were under his roof, and so he was going to protect them. From a couple commentaries I skimmed through, apparently hospitality was of such importance that Lot would have been obligated to sacrifice his own life to save theirs. He wasn't doing this for his own safety, but for theirs. I don't know, maybe his daughters offered themselves? Regardless, the emphasis of the narrative is on the sinfulness of Sodom, not Lot, and he is called a righteous man by Peter, so even if this is a heinous act, he is still a good guy living among abomination.