Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-17-2001, 08:02 PM   #1
used to like punk a lot.

Good ways to expand your range.

What are some good ways to expand your vocal range?

PunkRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-18-2001, 02:54 PM   #2
Nosed Reindeer

I think just singing high notes. You can't sing any lower no matter what you do after you do after your voice changes, but you can train your vocal chords by just singing high notes. I would reccomend doing this: singing a scale, moving up a half step, singing another scale, move up another half step, sing another scale, etc. until you can't sing any higher, then start over.
Unread 11-18-2001, 03:17 PM   #3
Unregistered

expanding your range

I've been studying classical voice for many years now (I don't have a degree or anything), but I thought I'd share with you some stuff I've learned. Most people have a much larger range than they think, they are just unsure of how to use their voices well.
Breathing is the most important factor in singing.... you don't wanna breathe from your chest, you want to breathe from your diphragm. I don't know if you've heard that before, but the way to see how this feels is to lay on the floor and pu a heavy book on your stomache and try to lift it while you breathe.... the feeling of expansion that you will feel is what you want! The better breath support you have, the more strength in singing you will get. Getting used to not expanding your chest, but expanding your banck and stomache when you breathe takes lots of practice and will tire you out at first, but it'll work, I promise.
Secondly, make sure you are opening your mouth when you sing.
And, lastly, keep singing.... a lot! Singing vocal excersizes up and down scales and pushing the limits of your range regularly can help expand your range higher and lower. But, remember... pushing the limit can be dangerous, so if anything hurts, stop. Don't strain your voice.
Sorry this is so long... but I thought I'd help you as much as possible!
Kristin
Unread 12-15-2001, 02:09 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Servants of God
Re: expanding your range

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Secondly, make sure you are opening your mouth when you sing.
I have to disagree with that. The shape or openess of your mouth doesn't have nearly as much to do with quility as the openess of your throat! You mouth helps you pronouce the sounds better. but the more open that your throat is, the clearer the sound will be. Unless you're sick or something
Unread 12-17-2001, 12:30 AM   #5
down this broken road

A good way to expand your range is when you warm up, start singing high, then low. Like if your singing scales or something. Just some advise my voice teacher gave me.

"There was a time not long ago, when I was too weak to move on.. a broken heart my hope was gone.. when I looked up into your eyes, I was overwelmed with love.. you took me up into your arms, and now I sing.. your wonders.." Jason Mortant

Visit my Website!!

"I didn't know I would love you when I looked into your eyes. Now I have a heart I cannot keep, and the greatest of fear, is that you'll leave me here. Stranded in this water so deep.. so don't you turn away from me, because my heart and my hopes are in your hands..." Bebo Norman
Jesuschick is offline   Reply With Quote