Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #16
The noobiest of Noobs!

Send a message via AIM to Six Flags Send a message via MSN to Six Flags Send a message via Yahoo to Six Flags
UGH, THAT POST...... what a crappout of a post of mine.... dang man...

Let me put that post in perspective:

for several days I've been trying to figure out just why hendrix is this god of guitars...... going back and fowarth from a friend's vinal (no lableling or whatnot so no idea of the names), and the woodstock performance... deleted for language ..... then I come on here and see the name hendrix..... well, I just went a weee bit overboard I do believe... hehe, I appologuise for the lash-out. oi.

Quote:
Speaking in-love as a brother in the Lord, seek help.
?

and answer this, why is he considered the greatest ever..... could u please elaborate, cause I just don't see it at all......

Last edited by thesteve; 12-20-2005 at 12:24 PM. Reason: language
Six Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-20-2005, 02:05 PM   #17
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Flags
UGH, THAT POST...... what a crappout of a post of mine.... dang man...

Let me put that post in perspective:

for several days I've been trying to figure out just why hendrix is this god of guitars...... going back and fowarth from a friend's vinal (no lableling or whatnot so no idea of the names), and the woodstock performance... deleted for language ..... then I come on here and see the name hendrix..... well, I just went a weee bit overboard I do believe... hehe, I appologuise for the lash-out. oi.
?
and answer this, why is he considered the greatest ever..... could u please elaborate, cause I just don't see it at all......
There is no greatest ever. That's what narrow minds like to assign to things that they personally like over other things.
Instead of saying "I really like his playing" they say "WOWZERS!!! HE'Z DA BOMB!!! THE BEST OF THE BEST!!! ALL ELSE ARE SUCKZORZ!!! RANT! FROTH!...".

I, too, used to think that Hendrix sucked. But I'm willing to admit that I was fairly closed-minded way back when about the world of music outside of what I personally liked. It was hard to even appreciate something that I didn't like but was clearly creative or required great skill/training/practice to perform (Opera comes to mind...I still can't stand it but I recognize it as 'good' from a music appreciation perspective.).
Hendrix I grew to appreciate more and more once I watched a few of the documentaries on his life and listened through the drug-induced haze that he lived in to what he was really playing.
The guy was good. He was not the best. No one is the best. But he was good and his popularity was more than 'right place, right time' syndrome...he earned his fame through years of serious hard work and commitment to writing and performing music that he felt led to write and perform.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #18
Dining alone tonight

It's amazing how quickly a thread can get trashed. . .

Gecko of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko of Doom
It's amazing how quickly a thread can get trashed. . .
I know...I almost thought for a second that I was at Harmony Central instead of here...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 12-20-2005, 07:30 PM   #20
thats the name

Send a message via AIM to koonce
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave
I know...I almost thought for a second that I was at Harmony Central instead of here...
yeah. we probly should get this back on topic

though that was an interesting debate

Jesus loves you
koonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #21
Dining alone tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by koonce
though that was an interesting debate
I'm not sure I'd call that a "debate."

Gecko of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #22
He is coming..

Send a message via MSN to J.W4Christ Send a message via Yahoo to J.W4Christ
Both steve vai and jimi hendrix arent my favourite guitarist but I cant deny their skills. I tink steve vai is better than jimi hendrix though
J.W4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 12:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W4Christ
Both steve vai and jimi hendrix arent my favourite guitarist but I cant deny their skills. I tink steve vai is better than jimi hendrix though
Based on what criteria?

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 02:35 AM   #24
Psalms 33 : 3

Send a message via AIM to DiverDown808 Send a message via MSN to DiverDown808
Vai is the man. A guitarists guitarist. The guy is a technical guru on the guitar, and in the studio. Back in the Frank Zappa days (I know my age is showing here), he was refered to as Steve Vai - Stunt Guitar. Besides being so technical, he adds his zaniness and humor in his playing. He's got that knack for playing soemthing that sounds like shear confusion, then ending it out melodically. This really sets him apart from other guitar players. The best? Only opinion. But he did make a unique style and presence for himself.

Hendrix ? His talent was strictly a timing thing. Sure, when he played live, his guitar never seemed in tune, but he brought that "larger than life guitarist" persona on stage. Despite his lack of technical skills, try listening to some of his studio work and listen for his song arrangements and chord work. You might be surprised that he's a better musician than you think he is. But you know, he came out at the right time. Everyone thought he was innovative, and THE man to see live. The world ate it up, and that's why he's the legend he is today.

Remember all you 1000+ posters, this is just an IMHO post

DD
DiverDown808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 04:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDown808
Vai is the man. A guitarists guitarist. The guy is a technical guru on the guitar, and in the studio. Back in the Frank Zappa days (I know my age is showing here), he was refered to as Steve Vai - Stunt Guitar. Besides being so technical, he adds his zaniness and humor in his playing. He's got that knack for playing soemthing that sounds like shear confusion, then ending it out melodically. This really sets him apart from other guitar players. The best? Only opinion. But he did make a unique style and presence for himself.

Remember all you 1000+ posters, this is just an IMHO post

DD
i'm actually mroe partial to vai's mentor than i am him. granted i havent been able to listen to a full album of his but from waht i have heard of it there's just something that doesnt quite fit with what i like. there's soemthing about his style that i dont really like. but yea i'm much more partial to joe satriani than vai.

oh and what about us 10,000+ post posters? j/k...
GMartin2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #26
Jazz. Mmm... nice.

I can't help having a chuckle as I read this thread... I think there's more than a little irony in all us as-yet-undiscovered-and-totally-NOT-famous guitarists taking a pop at either Vai or Hendrix when they're both world-famous and we're not! Regardless of which one is "better" than the other (whatever "better" is...), they're both considerably better than any of us in SOME way because the world is grooving to them rather than us!

It's funny how some of the biggest supposed masters of the guitar aren't exactly revered by other players and (flame suit on) for me, if there's one player on the planet that seems to be famous out of all proportion to his ability... it's Eric Clapton. Bluesbreakers - good, unplugged - OK, everything else - nothing special at all. I mean, this is the man known as "God" because of his ability, isn't it? When was the last time he laid down a decent solo? And as for "Lay down Sally" and "Wonderful tonight" - crimes against music!!! Anyway, mini-rant over, back to the subject.

FWIW, both McCartney (who is, IMO, as good as anyone outside of the great jazz composers at writing melody lines) and Brian May (who is one of Vai's few rivals in terms of orchestrating guitar parts) both cite Hendrix as their favourite player. I must admit that I still don't entirely get what all the fuss is about with Hendrix but I hear him mentioned so often by players much err... "better" than me that I keep listening to him in the hope that it will all suddenly slot into place and I'll become a big fan. I'm not there yet, but I do *love* "Red House" - that is one fantastic blues. I play in a Christian blues band and that is one of many songs that I would love to play... it's only the lyrics that get in the way! I think it's a bit much for our singer to sing "If my baby don't love me no more, I know her sister will", particularly as she's a girl! Maybe I should rewrite it with some Christian lyrics...

Cheers,
Tarby
Tarby777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 06:42 AM   #27
She's a guitar hero!

Send a message via AIM to Dave H
Regarding Eric Clapton...have you watched one of his crossroads festivals? Did you watch the Cream Reunion on PBS a couple of weeks ago? The man has some of the greatest tone I've ever heard and after 40years he definately still has it in my opinion. Clapton will always be one of my favorites.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 07:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H
Regarding Eric Clapton...have you watched one of his crossroads festivals? Did you watch the Cream Reunion on PBS a couple of weeks ago? The man has some of the greatest tone I've ever heard and after 40years he definately still has it in my opinion. Clapton will always be one of my favorites.
What I highlighted is key to these discussions; we each have favorites but being our favs in no way means that those players are any better or worse than anyone else. There is no 'bestometer' that rates guitarists other than what appeals to our individual tastes.

I like Clapton. He's one of my earliest influences. So are all of the players from Lynyrd Skynyrd. So is Al DiMeola. And Steve Morse. And Lindsey Buckingham. And Tommy Walker. And Muriel Anderson. And Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Sykes, Vandenberg, Vivian Campbell, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker, Steve Lukather, Larry Carlton, EVH, Ritchie Blackmore, Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Michael Hedges, George Lynch, Skunk Baxter, Chris Rodriguez, Dann Huff, Gordon Kennedy, Jerry McPherson, Brad Paisley, Junior Brown, Ty Tabor, Robert Johnson, Charlie Christian, Phil Keaggy, Jerry Donahue, and on and on...

Go ahead and pick a best from that list.

Trying to do so is pointless so, please, let me say this as politely as possible...Cut it out with the contests and comparisons!

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 12-21-2005, 08:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDown808
Hendrix ? His talent was strictly a timing thing. Sure, when he played live, his guitar never seemed in tune, but he brought that "larger than life guitarist" persona on stage.
Timing? Here's the only timing that factored into anything: he came along at that time and invented a lot of stuff on guitar.

All of you guys who are going on about the timing thing seem to miss the point that he invented a lot of stuff. Not in terms of techniques per se, even tho he did open a lot of doors that way, but also in terms of sensibilities, and possibilities for what the guitar can do.

If you really want to appreciate that contribution, listen to some Top 40 from the same era. That'll show you the disparity, and what Jimi brought to the table.

Quote:
Despite his lack of technical skills

What lack was that?

How do you determine that? Degree of pyrotechnics compared to today's shredders?

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #30
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartin2R
i'm actually mroe partial to vai's mentor than i am him. granted i havent been able to listen to a full album of his but from waht i have heard of it there's just something that doesnt quite fit with what i like. there's soemthing about his style that i dont really like. but yea i'm much more partial to joe satriani than vai.
me too.

About Hendrix? He was years ahead of his time. We just tend to lose perspective nowadays.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote