Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
haha... whatever dude

Send a message via AIM to JtoTHAizzosh
I need tips on screaming

Some friends and I are putting together a band and they want me to do some singing/screaming. The problem is... the only time I can really get the desired sound for my screams is when it happens by accident. I'm trying to get a sound kind of like Underoath or Hawthorne Heights. Actually the closest thing to what I want to sound like would probably be a local band called Kenmore (www.myspace.com/kenmore). Can anyone give me some tips on how to acheive this sound?

JtoTHAizzosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
haha... whatever dude

I forgot to say that I've already read the tips in the sticky thread. I seem to be doing the things listed in there minus the microphone, but I'll correct that. So is my voice just not conditioned enough yet?

Also, I've heard that when you scream you don't have to be much louder than a normal speaking voice. How exactly can I do that? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions... but then again... I believe there are no stupid questions... just stupid people (me being one most of the time )
Unread 12-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtoTHAizzosh
I forgot to say that I've already read the tips in the sticky thread. I seem to be doing the things listed in there minus the microphone, but I'll correct that. So is my voice just not conditioned enough yet?

Also, I've heard that when you scream you don't have to be much louder than a normal speaking voice. How exactly can I do that? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions... but then again... I believe there are no stupid questions... just stupid people (me being one most of the time )

This may not make much sense, but have you tried yelling thru a closed throat?

Try to close your throat sort of. It feels funny, but that will help. Then Try to force alot of air out, and try to make some kind of sound at the same time with your mouth.

Also, the positioning of your tongue counts. Im not sure the exact position it needs to be in (I have it in diff positions for diff kind of screams). Thats really optional.

Alot of that may sound kind of stupid, but its worked for me. Also, keep water handy. You will need it. Screaming, and growling and the such tend to take it out on your throat very heavily.

Also, the normal rule about not drinking milk before you sing, doesnt really apply here. I drink milk before I scream sometimes, and I have found that certain types of growls and screams can take advantage of that.

Also, gargling saliva makes a nice Dan Weyandt-ish type sound sometimes. But you have to control the amount carefully, to much and it wont sound like anything, and to little will cause your scream to sound like your breathing at a high volume is all.

Edit: Purevolume is being pissy with me, so im not totally sure if any of that will help you acheive the kind of scream your looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
haha... whatever dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon_hunter
This may not make much sense, but have you tried yelling thru a closed throat?

Try to close your throat sort of. It feels funny, but that will help. Then Try to force alot of air out, and try to make some kind of sound at the same time with your mouth.
I think I know what you're talking about. I've been messing around with it in a normal voice and it seems like it could work. I'll wait until my family leaves the house or I'm in my car alone to really try it though. Thanks for the advice

Any other tips would be appreciated guys and girls!
Unread 12-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
The Tick is keen.

I scream quite a bit with our band, although I've been leaning towards clean recently. Anyway, the best way I can describe the way I do it....start out with like a whisper. Then, just like a tube amp, put more and more volume into it until it starts to crack up. There's a scream that won't tear your throat up as much as straight up screaming, while still getting the same effect. With some practice you'll be able to just scream without starting out soft. Just make sure that you don't overdo it, or you could do some serious damage to your vocal chords like Jesse Leach from Killswitch Engage.

Click on the pic above to go to my blog.

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
simple servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
This Mortal Frame..

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple servant
I scream quite a bit with our band, although I've been leaning towards clean recently. Anyway, the best way I can describe the way I do it....start out with like a whisper. Then, just like a tube amp, put more and more volume into it until it starts to crack up. There's a scream that won't tear your throat up as much as straight up screaming, while still getting the same effect. With some practice you'll be able to just scream without starting out soft. Just make sure that you don't overdo it, or you could do some serious damage to your vocal chords like Jesse Leach from Killswitch Engage.

Just how bad did his voice get?

Will he be able to recover from the damage he did?

Quote:
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
The Tick is keen.

Quote:
Just how bad did his voice get?

Will he be able to recover from the damage he did?
He pretty much severed some vocal chords. That's why Howard Jones replaced him in early 2002. After about 3 years, he has almost fully recovered, and finally returned to the music scene with a project called "Seemless", but he doesn't scream very much at all anymore (which is very disappointing in my personal opinion.).

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
This Mortal Frame..

Quote:
He pretty much severed some vocal chords. That's why Howard Jones replaced him in early 2002. After about 3 years, he has almost fully recovered, and finally returned to the music scene with a project called "Seemless", but he doesn't scream very much at all anymore (which is very disappointing in my personal opinion.).

Man that sucks.

Josh, this is why people always put disclaimers at the front of stuff explaining how to scream.

Quote:
Unread 12-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #9
haha... whatever dude

Quote:
Man that sucks.

Josh, this is why people always put disclaimers at the front of stuff explaining how to scream.
Yeah I've heard of things like that. I'm really trying not to overdo it. We don't plan on screaming in all of our songs, and won't be screaming the whole time in the ones that do include screaming.
Unread 12-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
haha... whatever dude

Ok I just finished up a practice session and it's sounding alot better now. It'll take time to develop a good scream but I'm getting there. I can do high pitch screams pretty easy but it's the more aggressive ones that are a bit more challenging. I can get it sometimes but it doesn't hold the right pitch for too long. I'm guessing this will come with time. Also, my throat doesn't hurt at this point so I'm guessing that's a good thing... but I think I'm letting too much air out because my head started to hurt. I stopped when it started to hurt to make sure I didn't do any damage to my body.

Thanks for all the tips guys and girls!
Unread 12-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
Ba da ba ba ba

All I can say is NEVER close your throat and force air through it. That has to be one of the worst things you can do, screaming or singing it doesn't matter. It will destroy your voice.

*edit* Oh, and I would stop before it will hurts. Once it starts to hurt, damage has already been done. Even tickling in the throat isn't a good thing.
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
haha... whatever dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny C.
All I can say is NEVER close your throat and force air through it. That has to be one of the worst things you can do, screaming or singing it doesn't matter. It will destroy your voice.

*edit* Oh, and I would stop before it will hurts. Once it starts to hurt, damage has already been done. Even tickling in the throat isn't a good thing.
i figured out the part about closing your throat. I tried it one time and it didn't work. My throat doesn't bother me at all and my head only hurt for about 30 seconds before it went away.

It's hard to explain how exactly I got it to work. I'm not all that good with the singing terminology. I would try to explain it but I would probably be using the wrong terms.

EDIT: my singing voice also didn't suffer any loss after my practice session. I took a break for a little while and now I'm just singing along with the songs that come on my playlist.
Unread 12-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
The Tick is keen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny C.
Oh, and I would stop before it will hurts. Once it starts to hurt, damage has already been done. Even tickling in the throat isn't a good thing.
I would only slightly disagree on that. I always stop as it starts to hurt, not before. When it starts hurting, like you said, damage has been done. But, that means it will build up your vocal chords even stronger, allowing you to go at it for longer periods of time. I mean, after all, you don't want to be on stage, scream through one song, then lose your voice, right? I haven't lost my voice since about a week after I started screaming, and I can make it through a pretty lengthy set with ease now.

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
Unread 12-18-2005, 06:19 PM   #14
Band

Send a message via AIM to MrCrabby Send a message via MSN to MrCrabby
Quote:
I would only slightly disagree on that. I always stop as it starts to hurt, not before. When it starts hurting, like you said, damage has been done. But, that means it will build up your vocal chords even stronger, allowing you to go at it for longer periods of time.
Or you will just make your callouses thicker.....

I really don't know how many times it has to be said. Any amount of screaming WILL damage your vocal chords.
MrCrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #15
Ba da ba ba ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrabby
Or you will just make your callouses thicker.....
Bingo.
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote