Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
is addicted to chap stick

Church band...need advice! :/

Ok, so next year I am wanting to be in the life teen (youth group) band at my church as a singer (backup, not lead. the music ministry leader lady sings lead). So anyway, for anyone who has been a singer in a band, or who has a lot of experience singing, do you have any advice? Maybe some practice routines? I never had voice lessons or anything, but I'm still pretty good (at least no worse than the girls who are in the band already, hehe). But I would like to train my voice to be a little more without painfully expensive voice lessons. Any advice??

Sponsored Links
Unread 12-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Banned

Totally. Do warm ups and scales. Best thing you can do for vocal training Warm ups, if done properly, can increase your range, improve your tonal quality, increase your vocal control, prevent your vocal cords from being dammaged by overuse, strengthen your voice, and many, many more things.

There are a lot of ways to warm up. What works best for me is to start off with a couple of easy sighs (high falsetto to the bottom of your chest voice range) to loosen my vocal chords. After that, I usually start off with octave warm ups. I start with a note in the low range or at the bottom of my chest voice, sing an octave higher (try to make the top note sound just as round and as open as the bottom note), go back down to the first note, then go up a halfstep. Then I repeat the process, and continue repeating the process until the top note has reached the top of my falsetto. At that point, I go back down the same way, except going down a halfstep each time then repeating the process. After that, I usually do scales, if I'm not already as warmed up as I need to be. I usually make up the scale on the spot, but a nice easy one is to start on a note in the low part of your range then sing the three notes of a major chord with the bass note of the original note, then go back down. Like "C-E-G-E-C". Then you go up a halfstep and repeat the process. Adding this on, it would look like "C-E-G-E-C-C#-F-G#-F-C#-D...." so on and so forth, to the top of your falsetto, and then back down by halfsteps.

Wow. I really rambled. Heh. Some of that stuff may seem confusing, so feel free to ask any questions or have me further explain something to you Hope this helps, and good luck.

-Jesse
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #3

Awesome. I have a question, though. How can I make sure I'm hitting the right notes? Can I use my guitar tuner? Or like, my guitar itself for reference?
Unread 12-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Banned

Yes, you can totally use your guitar for reference. You could use your tuner, but that could get complicated I have used my guitar to warm up along with before, and it works really well Actually, if you have a keyboard or piano, that would make it even easier. I usually warm up in the shower or in the car (if I'm short on time, which I usually am ), so it shouldn't be a problem not to have an instrument to refer to to make sure you're hitting the right notes. As long as you know the scale, you can start anywhere and go up from there.
Unread 12-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #5

Ok, I'll have to try it with my guitar later. My sister has a keyboard, but I don't know how to play it. So I think I'll stick with my guitar. hehe. Anyway, thanks for all of your help!
Unread 12-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Banned

Lol you don't have to really know how to play piano to warm up along with it For the octave warm ups, all you have to do is hit a note on your piano, sing that note, then sing an octave higher (you can keep the piano on the same note to make it less complicated), drop to the initial note, then take the piano and your voice up a halfstep and repeat the process (capital letters represent original notes, lower case letters represent an octave higher: C-c-C-C#-c#-C#-D-d-D..... and so on) The piano (or guitar) is just to make sure you are going up exactly a halfstep each time. Hope it goes well for you
Unread 12-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #7

Ohhhhhh! Hehe! Yeah, OK, I get it!
Unread 12-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #8

Hello, back again! hehe. Ok, one LAST question...can I just make up scales on my guitar and then sing it?
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Banned

I do that all the time. Half the time, I just make up the scales that I sing on the spot.
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #10

Yay! Ok, now I am set!
Unread 12-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
old & cranky

Now that you think you are set, record yourself singing. Listen critically for off pitch notes and weak notes and fix these. The biggest problems most people have are singing flat and not having the breath and posture to support loud, clear notes on pitch. You need to visualize the notes you are singing so you can hit them accurately, instead of getting on the elevator at ground floor and riding up until you get to the note. This takes practice.

The sound of your voice is produced by muscles that need to be in shape for you to sing on pitch with clarity. So sing everyday and listen to the sounds coming out so you can fix them. I've known people with little natural singing talent who developed good voices because of lots of practice and critical listening.
Unread 12-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
Banned

This man speaks the truth. Recording and critiquing your own voice is a great way to get the sound you want and find weak spots to develop.