Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-02-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Banned

What's your range?

I just took my range, and today is a really good day. I could comfortably hit a low C (four halfsteps below the lowest guitar string, open) and I got up to a G two octaves and a perfect fifth above that by pushing just a little in chest voice. I have a useable falsetto, and with it I can squeak out a high C (the highest guitar string played on the highest fret), but it's not a singing note yet. My highest falsetto singing note right now is G#, just over an octave above my last singing chest voice note. Once I work up my upper range, I will have a four 12 halfstep octave singing range! That'll be nice

So.... what's everybody else's ranges?

fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:48 PM   #2

wow...how do you "work up your upper range"? I'm an alto (I think I told you that) and would like to be able to sing higher and sound good doing it. Anyhoo...my range is from about C below middle C to 2 octaves and a few halfsteps above middle C. Altos rock. (says me... )
skye92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
Ba da ba ba ba

My range has extended both ways in the last year or so. From the Eb a half step below the lowest guitar string to the B above middle C. My highest falsetto note I can actually sing in is high A.
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Ba da ba ba ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye92
wow...how do you "work up your upper range"? I'm an alto (I think I told you that) and would like to be able to sing higher and sound good doing it.
It's all about the movement of air. My teacher always tells me that there are no high notes. There are notes you cannot reach but the upper notes in your range will never feel high if you move enough air.
Kenny C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #5

I don't know much about voice range and all that,all I know is that I have to use a step ladder to sing tenor. I tune my guitars a half step down so I can sing with normal songs. I like the key of G a lot,and tuning it down would make it a F#,right? That sounds comfortably.
Unread 12-04-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
Black Lives Matter
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
I have a useable falsetto, and with it I can squeak out a high C (the highest guitar string played on the highest fret), but it's not a singing note yet.
I don't quite get this. Highest string on the highest fret? My guitar has 24 frets, two full octaves per string. I don't think you can hit that E, especially since that's a full octave above anything I can sing.
Quote:
wow...how do you "work up your upper range"? I'm an alto (I think I told you that) and would like to be able to sing higher and sound good doing it. Anyhoo...my range is from about C below middle C to 2 octaves and a few halfsteps above middle C. Altos rock. (says me... )
My range is very similar... only, not as many high notes. I'm reliably hitting a C# almost-an-octave below middle C (A string, 4th fret on the guitar), and almost-hitting down to a B. I can usually get up to an A in my chest voice (high E string, 5th fret), and falsetto usually quits around D or E (high E, 10/12th fret).
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Do warm-ups Can you use your falsetto? If not, se if you can. Developing your falsetto can add a lot to your range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor
I don't quite get this. Highest string on the highest fret? My guitar has 24 frets, two full octaves per string. I don't think you can hit that E, especially since that's a full octave above anything I can sing.
My guitar has 20 frets, going to a C four halfsteps below the E you mentioned, and yes, I can hit it. Just now, I hit the D between those two notes. It's really squeaky, but my choir director said that if you can squeak out a note, you will be able to work it up to a singing note, with some work. And, with falsetto, I can sing higher than most girls
Quote:
My range is very similar... only, not as many high notes. I'm reliably hitting a C# almost-an-octave below middle C (A string, 4th fret on the guitar), and almost-hitting down to a B. I can usually get up to an A in my chest voice (high E string, 5th fret), and falsetto usually quits around D or E (high E, 10/12th fret).
Woah- my chest voice range is within two halfsteps of being as high as yours That's crazy...
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
is addicted to chap stick

Wow, I totally don't understand anything you just said. lol Falsetto...range...G#....huh? I just...er...sing! I donno...do I need to know this stuff? I'm probably going to join the youth group band at my church next year as a singer, cuz they're short (and I've only been playing guitar for a short time, so guitarist is outa the question), but man, am I totally out of it?
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
Black Lives Matter
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallinguprawks
My guitar has 20 frets, going to a C four halfsteps below the E you mentioned, and yes, I can hit it. Just now, I hit the D between those two notes. It's really squeaky, but my choir director said that if you can squeak out a note, you will be able to work it up to a singing note, with some work. And, with falsetto, I can sing higher than most girls
Well, then. That's crazy.
Quote:
Woah- my chest voice range is within two halfsteps of being as high as yours That's crazy...
That's not as crazy. I don't have a very high chest range.

Moral of the story: Jesse is a more talented singer than I am, and my voice is not an average girl range.
mtlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #10
Banned

More talented? Pssh- whatever I can just go fairly high for a guy Being talented involves more than range: technique, tonal quality, experience, diversity in styles, and many, many more things. So don't you be saying things like that
Unread 12-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to JBanana Send a message via Yahoo to JBanana
I can sing an octave below middle C and can go up 2 1/2 octaves above mid C-about 4 steps higher than FUR's falsetto.
Unread 12-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Do warm-ups Can you use your falsetto? If not, se if you can. Developing your falsetto can add a lot to your range.
How do you develop your falsetto? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions...
Unread 12-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
Banned

Ask all the questions you want. In all honesty, I love answering them

The best way to develop your falsetto is just to use it as often as possible. Use it when you're singing, and when you do warm ups, get into your falsetto range. When you're ready, you'll start to naturally add treble to it through your nose or chest, therefore making it sound more like your chest voice.

Oh yeah, and to keep your falsetto in good shape, it's best to take it easy on your voice. When your voice gets tired or dammaged, your falsetto is the first thing to go. Try to scream and yell as little as possible, don't ever strain, drink lots of water when you sing (actually, drinking lots of water in general is good ), and if your throat starts to hurt from singing too much, stop singing for a while. When you sing, it strengthens your voice up to a certain point, and after a certain point, it reverses the process by overuse.
Unread 12-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Ask all the questions you want. In all honesty, I love answering them
Goody.

Quote:
The best way to develop your falsetto is just to use it as often as possible. Use it when you're singing, and when you do warm ups, get into your falsetto range. When you're ready, you'll start to naturally add treble to it through your nose or chest, therefore making it sound more like your chest voice.
Treble? Oh I think I get it...

Quote:
Oh yeah, and to keep your falsetto in good shape, it's best to take it easy on your voice. When your voice gets tired or dammaged, your falsetto is the first thing to go.
Hmm...actually when my voice is tired my chest voice or whatever just sounds like falsetto.
Quote:
Try to scream and yell as little as possible, don't ever strain, drink lots of water when you sing (actually, drinking lots of water in general is good ), and if your throat starts to hurt from singing too much, stop singing for a while.
Okay.
Quote:
When you sing, it strengthens your voice up to a certain point, and after a certain point, it reverses the process by overuse.
uhh...
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #15

Quote:

uhh...
Never mind. I get it now...