Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
No Comment

Good Mic? And What to plug it in to.

I'm setting up a band practice area in my garage.. and I have two questions..
First I'm gonna get a mic.. i'm looking into the Shure Beta 58A mic.. it any good? (Will be purely for vocals). Also how to I amp this mic? Can you get an amp just for a mic, or would I need a pa system? If so what's a good pa system? Preferably under 3 or $400.

------------------------------
My new and improved blog! Go there.... now.
JC_music07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-29-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
sings in the shower.

Send a message via AIM to ForeverPraise Send a message via MSN to ForeverPraise
seeing that 20 people have looked at this and not responded, i thought i'd respond and let you know that i am NOT ignoring you or blowing you off..

I just know that a mic is a mic... I have no idea about any of that tech stuff.......

I'm sorry!
add me on myspace
ForeverPraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_music07
I'm setting up a band practice area in my garage.. and I have two questions..
First I'm gonna get a mic.. i'm looking into the Shure Beta 58A mic.. it any good? (Will be purely for vocals). Also how to I amp this mic? Can you get an amp just for a mic, or would I need a pa system? If so what's a good pa system? Preferably under 3 or $400.
the Beta 58A is a great mic from what i understand. a friend of mine uses one for church. However, unless you're planning on also using it at shows, it's probably not cost effective to buy a Beta 58 over an SM58.

Here's what we do in my band for vocals during practice
SM58-->Acoustic Control Corp 150 (Guitar Amp)-->Mesa/Boogie 4x12. The ACC 150 is a very clean amp (a la Fender Twin Reverb...only solid state).

You could get a PA...it's really according to your needs. Most bands don't have the resources to go out and spend money for a useful PA, but they are good to have if you're playing a venue without one.

How many instruments are you working against? Are you in a loud practice environment?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Moo.

Send a message via MSN to _maranatha
Perhaps this would be better suited in the recording section. When I was a mod here that is always where I moved such posts..
Gladly for aye we adore Him.
_maranatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #5

I have always used SM58s for live vocals (except for my own homemade mics). The difference between a guitar amp and a PA system is that a guitar amp is designed to color the sound to some extent. That is why a Peavey sounds different from a Crate, which is different from a Vox, etc. You can get inexpensive PA systems, depending on what you need.

At church we DI all of the guitars, so we use effects pedals/amp simulators so that the guitars sound good through the PA. At home instead of getting a guitar amp, I just bought a cheap 4 channel PA amp and one speaker. I think it is a "Kustom" and I got it used off of eBay for under $100. It is great because I can run my acoustic, electric, a mic or whatever through it for practicing. Also, if friends come over, they don't have to bring an amp .
claypot is offline   Reply With Quote