Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Hey!

first electric guitar

i have played acoustic guitar for a long time now, and have begun to play like U2 and switchfoot on my acoustic. i really need an electric, and am going to get one soon. but i need advice on which one to get. most of my friends say to get a stratocaster, but everyone's got a stratocaster. Which one should i get? i already know which amp i am getting, but the guitar is a little harder to choose.

There is something about staring ETERNITY in the face and being REMINDED of a BIGGER PICTURE --Jon Foreman
falconplayer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #2

Alrighty. What amp are you going to get? What's your price range for the guitar? Also check out this:

http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...ad.php?t=82403

We just need to know your price range and I can come up with a few recommendations.
Unread 11-05-2005, 11:22 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
given your self-description, you aren't a beginner, so while the "beginner's guitar thread" may be helpful, it won't be as helpful as the recommendations we can give you once we know your price range, and also what amp you're going to get (ok...honestly...knowing the amp isn't SUPER important, but we're all curious and we want to help with that to to make sure the amp isn't going to work for the sounds you want)...

I definitely understand the "everyone's got a stratocaster" feeling. I have a Fender Jagstang and I've had friends who, based on a similar color (even though mine is Fiesta Red and theirs is probably cherry red, which aren't even that similar) have said to me, "oh i have a guitar just like that at home that i never play"...odds are they had a strat. Strats and strat copies are abundant...personally if I were in your position, I'd probably get a telecaster...but I love telecasters and recommend them frequently.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Do you have access to an experienced guitarist?

What amp are you getting?

What style(s) of music do you play?

What's your price range?

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2005, 11:30 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
dang...three posts in a row almost all saying the same thing...haha

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Hey!

you guys ask a lot of questions.
price range:200-400$
amp: i just found out while "researching" on the web that the amp i wanted is a little beyond my price range. if i get that amp, i won't be able to afford a decent guitar. now i need help with an amp.

the thing that is making this so diffucult is that i really am not a "beginner". im not an expert, but i don't want a cheap beginners guitar. i have played my friends' electric guitars for a while, but i never got one for myself.

oh, and i don't have access to an experience guitarist. only the guys at guitar center

There is something about staring ETERNITY in the face and being REMINDED of a BIGGER PICTURE --Jon Foreman
Unread 11-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #7

At least most of them at the Fairfax GC are pretty cool. Anyway, I knew you weren't a beginner to guitar, but new to *electric* guitar, obviously.

About the amp:

Your amp is going to dictate the sounds you get much more than the guitar will. You can by a lower-end guitar and have a great amp, and get a great sound. What amp were you thinking of?
Unread 11-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Hey!

vox valventronix AD50VT was the amp i was thinking of getting. i hope this isn't like a bad amp or anything(please don't laugh if it is ). it is a little too expensive, at least on musicians friend "list price" averaged with the "sale price". I really should go to the guitar center and look at them. but about the guitar, so far i am leaning toward a telecaster.

Unread 11-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #9

You probably don't need the 50w. I used to have the 15w and it was LOUD! Maybe the 30w would be better?

Right now I have a Line 6 Spider 75w (but solid state). The tube/hybrid amps like the Vox will always be louder than solid state. If you are looking for a guitar between 200-400, it's not going to be a Tele.

Check out Schecters. They are very high quality guitars, and for a good price.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VSDVJH1

The C-1 (plus, classic, blackjack, elite) especially.
Unread 11-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #10
Hey!

i actually have never really looked at telecasters. a guy recommended them to me earlier on the thread. how much are they? and for the amp, would a fifteen or thirty be loud enough for the praise band at school? they might help me pay for it if i get it and use it for the praise band.

Unread 11-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #11
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
I have the 30w. I LOVE IT. Especialy the Numettal setting. (though i don't play mettal) it just sounds good for rythm and stuff when it is on low gain.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
I use it for my praise team at youth and it is PLENTY loud.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
Hey!

i think i'll go wih thirty

Unread 11-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #14

Yep the 30w is *plenty* loud. The Tele goes for $900+ new, maybe more. Check out the Schecters though.
Unread 11-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
The Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
Yep the 30w is *plenty* loud. The Tele goes for $900+ new, maybe more. Check out the Schecters though.
Teles go for 300 dollars the standards do.
Look.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/510068/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/511255/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/510067/

there more than that and also other brands.
Wesley7777 is offline   Reply With Quote