Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #31
Are you who you wanna be?

Send a message via AIM to SwitchfootRulz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave
Well, sure, if you want to go to the secular world why not just toss Van Halen out there?
Not considered a Christian band either but you're bound to find a decent guitar solo or three...
Well some people consider Creed christian, so if Creed was why wouldn't Alter Bridge be? It's all about what is considered a "Christian" band

Jump 5's got some pretty killer solos though.
...assuming they have a guitarist

SwitchfootRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by {I'Robot}
I towtally agree also the intro for be my escape by relient k is kool (make shure you play it with overdrive)
The Be My Escape intro is not a solo.
Unread 10-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #33
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez_dude
yeh, another 3D fan.

yeh, for solos, check out 3D. they got a lot of good solos. The guitarwork on their new album is really good too.
I must be completely out of touch.

Those two guys are AWFUL.
PacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #34
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerX

Sometimes it's a matter of preference and taste.

Sometimes it's a lack of it!

A solo brings out the genius of the player. For me, a good solo is one that I immediately recognize and would want to learn to play. It's a sound that is identifiable with the band. In order to do the latter, I would have to be able to sing it in my mind and not sound like something else.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #35

Quote:

what are you talking about dude?? brad and mark are awesome guitar players. i love brad's solos especially.
ibanez_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez_dude
what are you talking about dude?? brad and mark are awesome guitar players. i love brad's solos especially.
Bro, you need some late 1980's-induced perspective... those two guys wouldn't qualify as guitar techs in that era.

I've listened to LOTS of Third Day, and had to play a lot of it (not by choice...). Neither of them really have much to offer. An utter yawn-fest.

Look up some of the real killers some time and try to cop those solos. Yngwie, Satriani, Vai, Jordan, MacAlpine, etc... You might not dig the feel, but there is no denying that they are masters of their instrument. If you wanted to take some stuff from their solos and incorporate it into your style you were going to have to woodshed... a lot... for a long time... a REALLY long time. The same cannot be said of the Third Day guys.

On the Christian side:
Ox Fox and Michael Sweet could keep up with the times during their heyday... so give them a shot.

The guy from White Cross was pretty deadly.

Impetelleri was (rumored) to be a Christian and he was pretty tasty too... kinda Yngwie-light, but not bad at all.

"Journeymen" is complementary in the case of Third Chord... errr... Day. I understand that all-out shred might not be appropriate to their audience, but at least make it interesting from time to time.
Unread 10-18-2005, 06:40 AM   #37
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Bro, you need some late 1980's-induced perspective... those two guys wouldn't qualify as guitar techs in that era.

I've listened to LOTS of Third Day, and had to play a lot of it (not by choice...). Neither of them really have much to offer. An utter yawn-fest.

Look up some of the real killers some time and try to cop those solos. Yngwie, Satriani, Vai, Jordan, MacAlpine, etc... You might not dig the feel, but there is no denying that they are masters of their instrument. The same cannot be said of the Third Day guys.

On the Christian side:
Ox Fox and Michael Sweet could keep up with the times during their heyday... so give them a shot.

The guy from White Cross was pretty deadly.

Impetelleri was (rumored) to be a Christian and he was pretty tasty too... kinda Yngwie-light, but not bad at all.

"Journeymen" is complementary in the case of Third Chord... errr... Day. I understand that all-out shred might not be appropriate to their audience, but at least make it interesting from time to time.
I share your sentiments toward Third Day. They're a nice blues rock band but not much to offer in interesting guitar playing.
It's not bad...it's just fairly simple.

If you want serious '80s guitar playing by a Christian guy, check our either album by the band Giant.
Dann Huff was the force behind them (after he left Whiteheart and before he became country superstar producer #1) and he's a killer guitarist and singer.
I have their first record (Last of the runaways) and it's awesome for that over-produced sappy metal stuff.
I hear that their second disc (Time to burn) is better.

Dann also plays on a lot of the '90s DC Talk discs.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 06:54 AM   #38
Banned

Quote:
It's not bad...it's just fairly simple.
You, kind sir, just hit the nail on the head.

It's not objectionable... just... well... oatmeal.
Unread 10-18-2005, 04:31 PM   #39
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
A lot of the guitar work on dc Talk records is pretty sweet. Not just the "solos".

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 07:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
A lot of the guitar work on dc Talk records is pretty sweet. Not just the "solos".
Most of that is the work of various Nashville cats like Huff, McPherson and Rodriguez.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 10-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #41

Quote:
You, kind sir, just hit the nail on the head.

It's not objectionable... just... well... oatmeal.

Actually, I like Oatmeal.
Seriously, I like their guitar work for Third Day. It may not be flashy, but it works well for the context. Solos don't always have to be showstoppers--as long as they add flavor to the song, that's what really counts. We don't need everybody to be a Satriani or Van Halen. As for me, I wish my playing could sound more like Third Day's "oatmeal". To each his own.
Darrell999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell999
Actually, I like Oatmeal.
Seriously, I like their guitar work for Third Day. It may not be flashy, but it works well for the context. Solos don't always have to be showstoppers--as long as they add flavor to the song, that's what really counts. We don't need everybody to be a Satriani or Van Halen. As for me, I wish my playing could sound more like Third Day's "oatmeal". To each his own.
Showstopper? No, it gets boring after a while, even for a former shred-head like myself.
But David Gilmour has proved over and over again that speed is not needed for extremely tasteful soloing.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
Unread 10-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #43

Quote:
David Gilmour has proved over and over again that speed is not needed for extremely tasteful soloing.
On that point we both agree!
Darrell999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #44
gg7
retired from CGR. :)

i really can't see slamming third day's solos. i think they both do well. they are a hugely successful band so they must be doing something right. who cares if it's 'simple' by some people's terms. simple doesn't mean bad. i'm not a huge third day fan, but i respect what they do a lot. those guys are really accomplishing something. also, keep in mind the general public are mostly not guitar players.
if you want to play to just guitar players and be one of those guitarists' guitarists, heh. go right ahead. no shame in that.

on another note, since i saw chris rodriguez mentioned. he is playing with keith urban now, who is one heck of a performer. yah he's considered 'country'. but that's alright, i like *some* country now. he is kinda of country meets rock. one heck of a guitar player too.
Unread 10-20-2005, 06:05 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg7
i really can't see slamming third day's solos. i think they both do well. they are a hugely successful band so they must be doing something right. who cares if it's 'simple' by some people's terms. simple doesn't mean bad. i'm not a huge third day fan, but i respect what they do a lot. those guys are really accomplishing something. also, keep in mind the general public are mostly not guitar players.
if you want to play to just guitar players and be one of those guitarists' guitarists, heh. go right ahead. no shame in that.
I just can't agree.