Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Christian > Life Issues > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
Crazy & loving it!

Question If you want to get married... but God doesn't want you to?

I think it's safe to say that God doesn't intend everybody to marry.

What if you want to get married and are waiting for the right person to come along, but God doesn't want you to get married. ever???

What the flip do you do? Like I know you put God's will first and stuff, and concentrate on Him instead of feeling sorry for yourself. But how do you know that you're that kind of person? Do you just totally give up on your dreams? And what if you think God doesn't want you to get married... but you end up being wrong about it?

Does anyone else ever actually wonder about this or is it just me?

Old 09-30-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
It's not easy being green

Why would you think that God doesn't intend on anyone to get married? The very first covenant He established was the marital covenant between Adam and Eve. "It is not good for man to be alone." No suitable helper was found among creation so God formed Eve out of Adam and instituted marriage. It's absolutely God's will that we marry.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
SNES

Send a message via ICQ to destroyer Send a message via AIM to destroyer Send a message via MSN to destroyer Send a message via Yahoo to destroyer
he does give some people the gift of celebasy, its my understanding that you wouldnt be interested in people of the opposite sex in the same way as most people are if you have that gift, but thats just how i took it when it was explained to me.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Crazy & loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHarbison
Why would you think that God doesn't intend on anyone to get married?
Its not that he doesn't intend anyone to marry. it's that he doesn't intend eveyone to be married. See 1 Cor 7:25-35

P.S. It took me 3 years to do it... but finally... POST 100!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by glamaricious; 09-30-2005 at 10:56 AM.
glamaricious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
Rock on
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamaricious
Its not that he doesn't intend anyone to marry. it's that he doesn't intend eveyone to be married. See 1 Cor 7:25-35

abd if they have an intense desire to get married they should according to the 1 Cor. Passage.

My Life.

POW!
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
has been here 10 years!

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
abd if they have an intense desire to get married they should according to the 1 Cor. Passage.
Right. I just read that in my devotions yesterday. 1 Corinthians 7. If God doesn't want you to get married, you'll be at peace being single because you're just following God.

Paul also said that it's better to get married than to burn with passion (I noticed that he didn't say lust, but passion. I thought that was kool).
Old 09-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
Rock on
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorshipJesus
Right. I just read that in my devotions yesterday. 1 Corinthians 7. If God doesn't want you to get married, you'll be at peace being single because you're just following God.

Paul also said that it's better to get married than to burn with passion (I noticed that he didn't say lust, but passion. I thought that was kool).

In Greek class I had to repeatedly translate this passage. It is permanantly burned into my brain. Though I will say that burning with passion is something I experienced my last year in college. Its not a good thing.

My Life.

POW!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:14 AM   #8
Unique and loving it!

Send a message via AIM to I AM ME Send a message via Yahoo to I AM ME
isn't God God? Isn't He able of doing everything? Wouldn't that include guiding you down the path He has chosen for you? Even if He knows it is best for you to be single and you rebel and get married, wont God use that for good?
I AM ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
has been here 10 years!

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I AM ME
isn't God God? Isn't He able of doing everything? Wouldn't that include guiding you down the path He has chosen for you? Even if He knows it is best for you to be single and you rebel and get married, wont God use that for good?
He can, but I don't think that someone who God has set aside to be single will get married if they know what God has planned for them (being single) because they are walking with the Lord and He is their husband or wife. Paul said it's better for us to remain as he is if you aren't already married. He also said it's better to get married than to burn with passion.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
Crazy & loving it!

Quote:
and if they have an intense desire to get married they should according to the 1 Cor. Passage.
mmmm... yeah... but how do you know if you have that 'intense desire' or if you're burning with passion... or if its just something you 'would like'?? Like there are probably people out there who would like to get married, but at the same time they sortof think that if God worked on them enough then they could deal with staying single...
Old 09-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #11
Rock on
Administrator

paid
Quote:
mmmm... yeah... but how do you know if you have that 'intense desire' or if you're burning with passion... or if its just something you 'would like'?? Like there are probably people out there who would like to get married, but at the same time they sortof think that if God worked on them enough then they could deal with staying single...

Thats not so difficult to figure out... ...when you are there. Kinda like asking where the ocean is at the beach. Its pretty obvious.

My Life.

POW!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
Crazy & loving it!

and what about ugly people who are a pain in the bum? What if they want to get married but nobody wants to marry them? Do they just live miserable lives... or were they made that way so they would stay single???

I'm so confused!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #13
Crazy & loving it!

Quote:
Thats not so difficult to figure out... ...when you are there. Kinda like asking where the ocean is at the beach. Its pretty obvious.
so... do you reckon that you're either burning with passion to be married... or not burning at all?

I'm really pretty convinced that there are people in between. Ah it's so confusing!!!! What do they do? How do they know what to do?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 AM   #14
Rock on
Administrator

paid
Quote:
so... do you reckon that you're either burning with passion to be married... or not burning at all?

I'm really pretty convinced that there are people in between. Ah it's so confusing!!!! What do they do? How do they know what to do?
what Paul is saying is to people who want to get married. Its not to people who might like to someday get married. Its to people who are in a relationship. In a relationship, not before the relationship. If you are not in a relationship, you can only guess what category you will be in.

My Life.

POW!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:23 AM   #15
Crazy & loving it!

see, now that makes things clearer! merci beaucoup herr Preston!