Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > S
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 4 66.67%
9 1 16.67%
10 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #1

Starflyer 59 - Talking Voice Vs. Singing Voice

Tracks
1. The Contest Completed
2. Easy Street
3. Good Sons
4. A Lists Go On
5. Night Life
6. A Good Living
7. Softness, Goodness
8. Something Evil
9. The Longest Line

For more information on Starflyer 59, click here.

Last edited by earlessdog; 06-29-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-14-2005, 01:03 AM   #2
Uff da

I think it's safe to say that this is one of the top 5 Starflyer releases. Songs like Good Sons are extremely catchy, but still very well-writen. It's all around solid, thouhg a bit lacking in length. Softness, Goodness and The Longest Line are a couple other greatt tracks.

Bringing <strike>quality</strike> conversation to the internet since 2002.
Muffinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2005, 03:15 AM   #3
The People's

A solid album, but it goes by too quickly and it tends to run together a bit. It leaves you wanting more, which is both a good and a bad thing. "Good Sons" is easily the best song on the album and causes my latent dancing instincts to come to the surface. The rest of the album is good, but that's the song that really stands out. 8.

Pass it to Bulis!
Hooray for Gooba! on MySpace | The Neverknown on MySpace | Ranch Barkner on MySpace | Jacqueline Deepsearch on MySpace
"I get excited about lima beans!" ~Pre-Ex-Girlfriend

Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

zXe
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #4

Talking Voice vs. Singing Voice is a very good album by Starflyer 59 and could be described as "modern new wave." The Contest Completed, Easy Street, and Good Sons are all very good songs and get the cd off to a great start. Next, A Lists Go On, is my favorite song on the album, and sounds a lot like Daniel Amos' Ghost Of The Heart from their Alarma album.
After that, all the songs are somewhat forgettable (but not distracting), except Something Evil, which is my second favorite song on the album.
Talking Voice... is my second favorite Starflyer 59 album (behind Leave Here A Stranger). If you've never heard Starflyer 59, this is a real good album to start with--you won't be let down.

Last edited by Ritchie_az; 07-02-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: After revisiting "Talking Voice..." I think I was too harsh on the second "half" of the album--it's pretty consistant.
Ritchie_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
never being boring

Someone needs to edit that comment out of track four; I think I'm the one who noted that in the review request initially.

I voted an eight on this who knows how long ago; points detracted mainly for its brevity (Martin is great at trimming the fat on an album, but one always does want a little more meat). This album had only Jason Martin and Frank Lenz (who is a genius) as "the band," but they got a string trio for many of the songs, which fleshes this album out amazingly well... "Night Life" and "A Lists Go On" really benefit from the string arrangements, and still give me chills. There's also a Latin-style trumpet solo on "Easy Street" which is a Starflyer 59 first (and, still, last). "The Contest Completed" and "The Longest Line" are extremely satisfying openers and closers, respectively.

It's a great album, but I don't think I'd recommend it for first time Starflyer 59 listeners, unless I knew they liked moodier, downtempo music. Not every track is downtempo, but the album on the whole feels that way. Also, if one is not used to shorter albums, better go for The Fashion Focus or Leave Here a Stranger first.

(deadpan) "God is not on any flatbread." - Castiel from Supernatural
Jonodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #6

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonodude View Post
Someone needs to edit that comment out of track four; I think I'm the one who noted that in the review request initially.
Fixed.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote