Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
The one and only!

Send a message via AIM to Godzgurl104 Send a message via MSN to Godzgurl104 Send a message via Yahoo to Godzgurl104
guitarist that wants to be a lead singer

ok....i play the guitar in a so called band but what i really want to do is sing. i sing in my church chior but im wanting to get a sound like bethany dillion or the chick from evanescance or fly leaf! any pointers??? im hoping to become more serious in my music and get into some kind of band thats near me but all i want to do is sing. that is my tru passion!

singing for God
Abby

Godzgurl104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
Banned

Take voice lessons. Show your teacher a song with who you want to sound like singing, and they should be able to give you instructions and pointers to get from where you are to where you want to be. But also bear in mind that you want to have your own voice. While it's ok to style your voice after and develop some of the qualities of the vocalists you like, people should still be able to tell your voice apart from thiers by its distinctive quality. I, for instance, like the voice of Tyler Burkum (Audio Adrenaline) and have copied his voice for several years. When Falling Up first came out, I discovered that I sounded exactly like Jessy Rigbordy. I have been trying to create my own style and develop my own tonal quality. I still sound a lot like Tyler and Jessy, but you can still tell my voice apart from theirs. Well, I hope this helps and good luck,
-Jesse
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
The one and only!

Send a message via AIM to Godzgurl104 Send a message via MSN to Godzgurl104 Send a message via Yahoo to Godzgurl104
thanks....i would take voice lessons but im afraid that if i do the teacher will try and make me sound like someone thats not me! thanks for the info thou! maybe i can make my voice sound somewhat like some one one my own and that way i can make it sound like what i want it to! thanks jesse!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my equipment:
Takamine EG-340 Acoustic/Electric
Tortex .60 Picks (or whatever i find layin around the house )
Unread 09-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
honestly, the only way you are going to develop good technique (which is very important for singing) is if you have someone who is trained to train other people helping you out. you need to have some kind of coaching. if you train yourself and sing in front of music professors or trained musicians, what you'll probably get is "you have a lovely voice/natural raw talent, but you really need some polishing/technical guidance/etc. I would advise you go see Dr. So-and-So, or Professor Such-and-Such for some training."

you can always leave one coach for another if they are forcing you to sing in ways you don't want to. however, keep in mind that even if you don't like a certain style of singing, learning that style will broaden your horizons and make you a more experienced singer, and will actually make you a more marketable singer because you'll have more versatility.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
A "good" voice teacher or vocal coach will teach you how-to best use your voice and not try to change you into something that you're not.

It is true: I have heard singers who's vocal coach literally changed their style and their vocal character into something not-so-pleasing so be discerning if you go the route of a voice teacher/vocal coach. Get recommendations and referals if at all possible.
As was previously said, learning other styles is not a bad thing at all. Being versatile on your instrument or voice is such a gift so don't be afraid of learning a different style of singing but be aware of your own natural voice character...where your voice feels and sounds like it's most comfortable.

Many times all a singer needs to learn is proper breathing and projection techniques.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Banned

Gtrdave is right, and I wouldn't want anyone sounding like anyone else, but it is nice to find qualities that you like in other singers, analyze them and figure out how to acquire them, then add them to your original tonal quality. This can add or subtract distinctiveness of your voice, and can even make your voice more "set apart".
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
The one and only!

'fallinguprawks'- thanks 4 the advice....
'gtrdave'-i can sing in MANY different styles anything from operetic to screamo to hilary duff.....im not afraid of learning different styles its just that when i learn something new i usually spend too much time concentrating on that new technique and trying to sound too much like that and it takes me too long to get back to my own singing voice that its not really worth it....does that make sense???

ne ways.thatnks 4 the advice ppl.....if u have ANYTHING else to advise me of lemme kno!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my equipment:
Takamine EG-340 Acoustic/Electric
Tortex .60 Picks (or whatever i find layin around the house )