Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-17-2005, 01:25 AM   #76
Pearl plays her guitar

Next thing you know, someone will want to build an amp into the guitar case!

Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-17-2005, 01:26 AM   #77
The Great griffon

hehe...ya know...I want to get my hands on one of those old Dano or Silvertone cases.....I would likely gig with it.....just to make people look at me funny....

Edit: A truly strange and unusual thing would be a Theremin like synth built into an acoustic guitar......oh wait....
Unread 09-17-2005, 02:01 AM   #78
...loves his hollowbody!

Me-thinks that the mods will close this thread. After all...."Thou shalt not raise the dead."
Pod XT Live
Peavey Classic 30

<a href="http://www.purevolume.com/remnantgeneration" target="_blank">Check out my band, Remnant, on purevolume.com</a>

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/remnantgeneration" target="_blank">and on myspace</a>
JaytheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 02:03 AM   #79
The Great griffon

the last post before mine was a little over two weeks ago. This thread was dying...but I wouldn't call it yet....
Unread 09-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffon
hehe...ya know...I want to get my hands on one of those old Dano or Silvertone cases.....I would likely gig with it.....just to make people look at me funny....

Edit: A truly strange and unusual thing would be a Theremin like synth built into an acoustic guitar......oh wait....
I've debated putting a theremin in my Utah, but that's taking things too far. Then again . . .

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 10:56 AM   #81
visual binary

yeah i mean your utah is a bass and a guitar. . . why not make it a theremin. then you can be john paul jones, jimmy page on the guitar, and jimmy page on the theremin all at the same time!

The only one who needs to think really hard about Schrodinger's Cat is Schrodinger's Mouse.
Longhorn26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #82
The Great griffon

I was referencing the airSynth that one of the guys from the Flaming Lips has built into his acoustic. But yes, a theremin would be good fun. and why not add some sympathetic resonating strings to give you a sitar sound? and LED's (or lasers) in the fretboard? and a generator to power the whole thing!

Seriously though, if you could get ahold of either a Zvex Wah Probe or Fuzz Probe you could get some very cool theremin like action going if you mounted it in your guitar...I know, effects in guitar are bad....
Unread 09-17-2005, 05:52 PM   #83

Quote:
I was referencing the airSynth that one of the guys from the Flaming Lips has built into his acoustic. But yes, a theremin would be good fun. and why not add some sympathetic resonating strings to give you a sitar sound? and LED's (or lasers) in the fretboard? and a generator to power the whole thing!
Are you serious or just kidding? I had thought about LED's, but that needs to happen at the time of neck construction. Very expensive and intrusive to retrofit a guitar after the fact.

AirSynth? Interesting. What exactly is that (apart from a kind of synth)? I'm not familiar with that brand or model.

*looking* *googling*

Ah, interesting. I wonder how I would fit that into my Utah. That would be neat. I mean, in the sense of waving my hands over my Utah in some sort of trippy, rave-like, vapor trail patterns.

But, apart from that . . .

Quote:
Seriously though, if you could get ahold of either a Zvex Wah Probe or Fuzz Probe you could get some very cool theremin like action going if you mounted it in your guitar...I know, effects in guitar are bad....
No, effects aren't bad, just not effective.

They take a lot of juice, and that's a lot of electronics to cram into a guitar for what can be a very limited effect indeed. Understand, I'm going to have enough electronics that would fit into a regular, standard pedal from Dano or Iby or Boss, and that much circuitry will yield, get this, MIDI, Piezo-Acoustic, Bass Guitar capacity, Preamping, Sustainer Ops, and EQ, plus a bunch of other maintenance circuits. And all that powered by two batteries. That's a very high-yield pay off for the amount of circuitry involved. That's worthwhile.

If you'll notice, the only effect in the mix is a Sustainer. There is a reason for that. The only place you can put a Sustainer is in the guitar itself, or, as is the case with one particular outboard model, clamped onto the headstock. I prefer the unobtrusive version.

The reason why that is the only place (onboard) you can put it is because it is mechanical. The magnetic driver literally causes the strings to feedback and overdrive. It's like having a six string wide ebow permanantly installed into your guitar.

Aside from that, it's all about tone generation. It's really much easier to build pedals and have what you want, than to try and cram it onboard. Also, unless the particular circuitry that you are employing to create the effect is very diminutive, then you are going to eat up a lot of space - and a lot of juice - for very little return on your investment.

I remember one particular project guitar that a guy was working on. He wanted reverb, and, for those of you who don't know, it involves live springs vibrating to create that effect. That's fine in a pedal where you have all this space to work with, but for him, imagine a Strat where you can't whammy it, because the springs are being used as an effect instead, and in order to make it work, the strings need to be twice as long at least, meaning that you have to hull out a ton of Core Wood.

All that to get an effect that may be of limited use, like a Talk Box. When you want a Talk Box effect, nothing else will do, but that can be a limited effect indeed.

Maybe the guy does a lot of surf music, but unless that's the case, he has a guitar that is very limited in other respects for an effect he might not use too often.

Now, as far as the Sustainiac goes, well, it doesn't take up any functional space at all, just uses two knobs, and, as David Gilmour once observed, "what would rock and roll be without feedback!?!"

Oh, incidentally, I was amused by your suggestion of installing a generator, but I find two normal 9-volt batteries will do the trick.

Still, the idea of using a generator to power the guitar has merit, assuming we had a way to power the generator. Any suggestions with that?

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 09-17-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Unread 09-17-2005, 06:01 PM   #84

Send a message via AIM to Beyer413
. . .So do we know what this guy's idea is?

Take a bunch of rediculous chords that sound strange together, put them into a progression, get a ride cymbal to go ganggankadanggankadang.... take a hit hat and go chik.chik.chik. on 2 and 4, get an upright bassist to lay down that walking bassline bahbahbahbahbahbahbahbahbah, and play a solo using those rediculous chord s that sorta goes doodedoodedoodedoodedoodedoooo. blahp ba pa doo waooooww.... then get into that bluesy groove!

Or something like that.
Beyer413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer413
. . .So do we know what this guy's idea is?
Some hubbub about holding onto a pick onstage, but he can't tell us anything about it.

Unread 09-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #86
The Great griffon

Quote:
Are you serious or just kidding? I had thought about LED's, but that needs to happen at the time of neck construction. Very expensive and intrusive to retrofit a guitar after the fact.
meh, mostly kidding, though it would be fun. I've thought about it in a future guitar. It would be a cool stage gimmick and all, but yeah, very obtrusive to retrofit, tho9ugh there is a company who does it.

Quote:
Oh, incidentally, I was amused by your suggestion of installing a generator, but I find two normal 9-volt batteries will do the trick.

Still, the idea of using a generator to power the guitar has merit, assuming we had a way to power the generator. Any suggestions with that?
I've been toying with a phatom power idea actually. IE, a box that's plugged into the wall that provided juice through a stereo cable to the onboard guitar electronics. It doesn't work if you want to go wireless though...

oh, and to put an airSynth into your guitar, you'd first have to find one...they've been discontinued, and I don't think many people are parting with them...

So...where did the original poster go?
Unread 09-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #87

Quote:
meh, mostly kidding, though it would be fun. I've thought about it in a future guitar. It would be a cool stage gimmick and all, but yeah, very obtrusive to retrofit, tho9ugh there is a company who does it.
What company is that? Got a link? Can they do one-piece necks?

Quote:
I've been toying with a phatom power idea actually. IE, a box that's plugged into the wall that provided juice through a stereo cable to the onboard guitar electronics. It doesn't work if you want to go wireless though...
Lot to be said for 9-volt batteries.

Quote:
oh, and to put an airSynth into your guitar, you'd first have to find one...they've been discontinued, and I don't think many people are parting with them...
Can't have one? Makes me want one all the more.

Quote:
So...where did the original poster go?
Who knows.

Chesh

Unread 09-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #88

Who needs a pick in the first place? I don't.
Unread 09-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #89
Eaten by a grue

I declare this thread a giant gyp.
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by niangelo
I declare this thread a giant gyp.
Oh, hardly! Look at all the fun it created. Wonderful fun.