Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2005, 09:50 AM   #61
AM Radio Music Listening

Send a message via AIM to Unicorn Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter
...yes, but the robot would also have to know when I want my Capo, slide, and ebow, and get those to me also, then maybe $15-$30

Seriously though, they need to expand that thing that clips on to the mic stand and holds your picks to hold slides (which they already do) capos, and ebows, that would be sweet.
lol then the mic stand would fall over. I've seen guys turn music stands flat and use them as little tables on stage. A bit gaudy for my tastes though.

dolls wreck the minced meat of pupils
cast at oblong arms length
the hooks have been picking their scabs
where wolves hide in the company of men

Now I'm lost.
Unicorn Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #62
www.epedalboards.com

...good luck! I respect a man with vision. Even with the clutter of gear and toys flooding the market daily there is still room for a new idea. I'm working on a NEW idea for a pedalboard that I think will make a pedal geeks life so much easier.....sssshhhhhhh.

stevie
www.ePedalBoards.com
pedalboardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #63
The Tick is keen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalboardguy
...good luck! I respect a man with vision. Even with the clutter of gear and toys flooding the market daily there is still room for a new idea. I'm working on a NEW idea for a pedalboard that I think will make a pedal geeks life so much easier.....sssshhhhhhh.

stevie
www.ePedalBoards.com
I suppose you wouldn't be able to tell us what it is, would you?

While we're on the whole invention kick, I always thought it'd be cool to have a guitar with built-in tubescreamer circuitry that you could just flip a switch to go on and off. I know it'd take a lot of work, but would that be possible?

Click on the pic above to go to my blog.

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
simple servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #64
I play Guitar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple servant
While we're on the whole invention kick, I always thought it'd be cool to have a guitar with built-in tubescreamer circuitry that you could just flip a switch to go on and off. I know it'd take a lot of work, but would that be possible?
That has actually been done, but I don't think any made actually sound good.
Unread 08-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #65
The Tick is keen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan
That has actually been done, but I don't think any made actually sound good.
Darn. Oh well.

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
Unread 08-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #66

Quote:
Darn. Oh well.
You'd be better served doing some Craig Anderton SIAB action than trying to do that to your guitar. If you're using a tube, it has to heat up to 150o before it works. If you are modelling or simming it, then that is a whole other involved form of circuitry. I would know. I was actually looking into putting a tube into my Utah, with a clear plexy window to see it glow from on the face of the guitar, ostensibly using the tube cover from a preamp. Talk about Frankensteinian!!

I do not advocate putting pedal type effects into a guitar. You'll have enough work making the other stuff happen. With my Utah, for instance, I'm doing some things that would seem like pedal type effects, but not really.

The first thing is doing a Sustainiac, which has to be onboard in order for it to work. It's like having a six-string wide ebow permanantly installed in the guitar. That's the one effect you can't get from a pedal . . . at least in terms of true sustain, vs. sim'd compression.

The second thing is putting a Octave Divider in the guitar, hooked up to a dedicated pickup. Again, that may sound like the province of a pedal board, but what I am doing is using a dedicated pickup to pickup the signal from the Low E and A strings, and route it to the Divider. That way, I can quite literally do walking basslines on the E and A strings, and it will be an octave lower (the whole assembly then being treated as an individual pickup and then routed to the EQ and mixed with the rest of the guitar signal).

Of course, I also have onboard EQ, MIDI, Piezo-Acoustic, preamping, and all sorts of other support systems. Everything I have onboard is dedicated to signal generation. With the acception of the Sustainiac, any "effect" is strictly offboard.

Does that make sense?

Besides, this way, you can build your own effects and have fun doing that.

Incidentally, and ironically, even tho I don't have any onboard effects in terms of pedal style stuff, I get a great Wah effect when I rotate the peak resonance knob on my EMG-VMC! Neat, eh?

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying

Last edited by CheshireCat; 08-28-2005 at 06:16 PM.
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #67
www.epedalboards.com

Quote:

There was a device about 25 years ago that replaced the input jack on a strat(i still have one)and had a little dip switch ya could adjust for +/- gain and an on off toggle switch called a "strat-o-blaster" very cool. Ya had to fit a battery in the cavity of the guitar, that would last a very long time. i'm sure if ya did a search ya would see/find one. I thought it would be schweet to make a few for fun.

As far as my new pedalboard design, there is a pitch for it on my sight www.ePedalBoards.com but no pic as of yet...coming soon.

Stevie
pedalboardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #68

Send a message via AIM to tht00 Send a message via Yahoo to tht00
Quote:

I'm with Chesh; it'd be best to build effects external. One thing I've thought would be cool would be to have an active volume control internally, but then you can run into space issues. However, that too would probably work best as a rocker-style pedal.

My volume controls have been acting funky ever since I put in the push-pull pots. Stock, they cut the highs out horribly when the volume is lowered; with a small cap, the bass drops out, so thats why I brought that up. I'll probably do another rewire soon and put the stock volume pots back and leave 2 push-pull pots as tones so I can still do coil splits.
Unread 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #69
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Stew Mac makes an internal overdrive that looks a lot like a square cap. I've heard it's harsh, and don't sound too good. I'm all for outboard effects, though I don't use that many effects in the first place.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #70
The Tick is keen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
You'd be better served doing some Craig Anderton SIAB action than trying to do that to your guitar. If you're using a tube, it has to heat up to 150o before it works. If you are modelling or simming it, then that is a whole other involved form of circuitry. I would know. I was actually looking into putting a tube into my Utah, with a clear plexy window to see it glow from on the face of the guitar, ostensibly using the tube cover from a preamp. Talk about Frankensteinian!!
Holy moly! The guitar I knew of that had a built-in tube preamp was the Takamine Cool Tubes. I never would've thought of putting a tube into an electric.

Quote:
I do not advocate putting pedal type effects into a guitar. You'll have enough work making the other stuff happen. With my Utah, for instance, I'm doing some things that would seem like pedal type effects, but not really.

The first thing is doing a Sustainiac, which has to be onboard in order for it to work. It's like having a six-string wide ebow permanantly installed in the guitar. That's the one effect you can't get from a pedal . . . at least in terms of true sustain, vs. sim'd compression.

The second thing is putting a Octave Divider in the guitar, hooked up to a dedicated pickup. Again, that may sound like the province of a pedal board, but what I am doing is using a dedicated pickup to pickup the signal from the Low E and A strings, and route it to the Divider. That way, I can quite literally do walking basslines on the E and A strings, and it will be an octave lower (the whole assembly then being treated as an individual pickup and then routed to the EQ and mixed with the rest of the guitar signal).

Of course, I also have onboard EQ, MIDI, Piezo-Acoustic, preamping, and all sorts of other support systems. Everything I have onboard is dedicated to signal generation. With the acception of the Sustainiac, any "effect" is strictly offboard.

Does that make sense?

Besides, this way, you can build your own effects and have fun doing that.

Incidentally, and ironically, even tho I don't have any onboard effects in terms of pedal style stuff, I get a great Wah effect when I rotate the peak resonance knob on my EMG-VMC! Neat, eh?

Chesh
That sounds pretty sweet! How long did it take you to do all of that?
Quote:
There was a device about 25 years ago that replaced the input jack on a strat(i still have one)and had a little dip switch ya could adjust for +/- gain and an on off toggle switch called a "strat-o-blaster" very cool. Ya had to fit a battery in the cavity of the guitar, that would last a very long time. i'm sure if ya did a search ya would see/find one. I thought it would be schweet to make a few for fun.
That sounds kind of what I was talking about. That sounds neat...I bet that would take a lot of work to do, and there'd more than likely be oodles of opportunities to screw that up...I think I may just stick with the external effects.

I really like bread.
MySpace is your space...
So is FTS's space.
Unread 08-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #71
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
EMG makes an active boost, the Afterburner. 20dB variable boost.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #72
FTS
Something

Quote:

As far as my new pedalboard design, there is a pitch for it on my sight www.ePedalBoards.com but no pic as of yet...coming soon.

Stevie
Wow! This is quite interesting. I had someone else on another forum talking about your boards. They were thinking about buying one, or building one. I gave them a general idea on how you build yours by looking at the pics. It's a very nice design. I haven't found out if they're going to buy or build yet.
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 09:33 AM   #73

Quote:
Holy moly! The guitar I knew of that had a built-in tube preamp was the Takamine Cool Tubes. I never would've thought of putting a tube into an electric.
That's not a tube preamp. That's snake oil. How can you heat an acoustic guitar up to the 150o necessary to make the tube work?

It's nothing more than a digital preamp using the tube as a resistor, not a transistor. I think a little blue LED lights up or something to make it look like the tube is active, and it is in a sense. It's actively resisting, not transisting [read: what the tube is supposed to do in a real tube amp].

Quote:
That sounds pretty sweet! How long did it take you to do all of that?
Not done yet. I've got the EQ going, and everything is routed out for the MIDI and Piezo-Acoustic, but I have other steps along the way that I need to do first.

To answer your question, apart from not being done yet, I finished my guitar in its first incarnation about 14 years ago, and then a number of years ago started getting some maintenance work done on it, principly some work done to the neck. At the time it was thought that the truss rod of the neck was shot and that I would need a new truss rod. Well, as I researched a new neck, that sent me off on a path of discovery in terms of all the cool new technologies that I would have been all about putting into it if they had existed 14 years ago.

Understand, successfully mixing active and passive pickups, and having active onboard EQ was pretty cool back then. That was kind of pushing the envelope, especially for a project guitar.

So, now there are all these cool goodies that I get tap into!

Here's what it looks like right now:

An older pic, taken after completion 14 years ago, but you get the idea of the fullsize shot.
[Note: the black clunky think on the headstock is no longer there.]

A more recent shot, after having installed new pickups and having made some other modifications.

Quote:
That sounds kind of what I was talking about. That sounds neat...I bet that would take a lot of work to do, and there'd more than likely be oodles of opportunities to screw that up...I think I may just stick with the external effects.
If you want preamped overdrive, just get an EMG-PA2. Brainy no-brainer.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2005, 11:56 AM   #74
Guitar Freak

Send a message via AIM to Hard2Hear Send a message via Yahoo to Hard2Hear
The Fender Eric Clapton Strat has a built in 35db boost.

The Deluxe Powerhouse Strat is a Mexican Made model that has the exact same circuitry in it. You can buy them used for around $300-350. They're great guitars, Ive owned 3 of them.

H2H
Hard2Hear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 01:11 AM   #75
The Great griffon

Quote:

That's actually very possible and not too difficult...especially if you have a strat style guitar. Just find an overdrive or distortion small enough, (the new Dano Fab-OD perhaps?) mount it and wire the knobs and a switch onto the pick guard. The only problem would be changing the battery...though you could phantom power it. Which would mean you'd never have to change a battery. (You could do the same with any active components, unless you wanted to go wireless...)

If you just want a boost then just get an EMG-AB or PA-2, if you want something a little more impressive and tweakeable...hook up a tube screamer or something in there...(Or if you're like me...a nice, wooly, disgusting fuzz, and anything else I could fit in there.....)