Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
Im thinking of seeing if on my next electric I build... (I want to try again and see if I can't make a real masterpiece) I could make some form of modular pickup system. I have a few potential designs, but they would all involve cannabolizing some rather random things for parts.
Modular pickup system?

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #32
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Modular pickup system?

Basically have the pickups contained in an easily removable module with the wiring hardwired in. Say, an easy way to switch pickups and dissasemble the guitar for service without having to rerun wire. It also seems I could use it for making a module for a coil or humbucker and switch the fundamental tone of the guitar fairly easily. It would be more mechanical than wiring...

(Right now I'm just trying to see if this is feasible to actually do)

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Basically have the pickups contained in an easily removable module with the wiring hardwired in. Say, an easy way to switch pickups and dissasemble the guitar for service without having to rerun wire. It also seems I could use it for making a module for a coil or humbucker and switch the fundamental tone of the guitar fairly easily. It would be more mechanical than wiring...

(Right now I'm just trying to see if this is feasible to actually do)
Well, that's how EMG's are currently set-up.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 08-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #34
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Well, that's how EMG's are currently set-up.

slightly different what I am thinking of... more of an emg style setup for non emg pickups custom built into a guitar) I mean heck, there isn't anything totally new under the sun...

I just haven't seen that on other forms of pickups for a quick change.

My Life.
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:03 PM   #35

Quote:
slightly different what I am thinking of... more of an emg style setup for non emg pickups custom built into a guitar) I mean heck, there isn't anything totally new under the sun...

I just haven't seen that on other forms of pickups for a quick change.
Well, that's simply a matter of building said pickups with microheaders. It's really easy. Go check out the EMG website and you'll see what I mean.

I wouldn't try reinventing any guitar wheels in terms of wiring or guitar construction until you've explored the microheader avenue, which is completely under the purview of pickup construction. That'll be a lot easier to manage, methinks.

Unread 08-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #36
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
It's been done before on this one guitar (which I'd need to find again), but I found that system rather bulky and infeasable for "normal" guitars.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #37
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...ad.php?t=82678

Here's what I was talking about.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Yeah, you know, that's brilliant execution of what I think is a questionable idea. For one thing, I don't want to sacrifice the Core Wood of any guitar, nor lose out on the sonic advantages of direct coupling, all for what can be achieved by either a), having more than one guitar, or b) just using microheaders and making the pickup cavity just a bit roomier, and using direct coupling.

And paying $3K for it!?!

Chesh

Unread 08-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #39
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Well, that's simply a matter of building said pickups with microheaders. It's really easy. Go check out the EMG website and you'll see what I mean.

I wouldn't try reinventing any guitar wheels in terms of wiring or guitar construction until you've explored the microheader avenue, which is completely under the purview of pickup construction. That'll be a lot easier to manage, methinks.

might be, Ill check it out, but I must confess that I have the unfortunate charachteristic that sometimes, I just want to tinker and tweak with my guitar, not so much to make it any say better than EMG, (heck I doubt I could) but to do something a bit different of my own innovation. The microheaders would be good, but I was thinking of combining that with a system similar to the link Rainer gave. Anyway, at this point its one of the ideas Im doodling on sheets of paper to see if I could feasibly build it.

My Life.
Unread 08-19-2005, 04:13 PM   #40

Quote:
might be, Ill check it out, but I must confess that I have the unfortunate charachteristic that sometimes, I just want to tinker and tweak with my guitar, not so much to make it any say better than EMG, (heck I doubt I could) but to do something a bit different of my own innovation. The microheaders would be good, but I was thinking of combining that with a system similar to the link Rainer gave. Anyway, at this point its one of the ideas Im doodling on sheets of paper to see if I could feasibly build it.
Dude, do not sacrifice the Core Wood on something like this. Best case scenario, have the modular pickups top-loadible, if you will. Actually, it's very easy.

If you're doing, say, a Tune-O-Matic style bridge, then you can take off the strings just by loosening them, and then removing the tailpiece. Just a snap.

Next, you can have the pickups mounted, direct coupling style, using machine bolts, either going directly into the wood, or metal bushings, which would actually allow you to easily trade them out quickly.

That coupled with the microheaders would make the perfect solution.

Here's why: First, you don't risk any tone issues with removing the Core Wood. Second, the pickups aren't couched in nexted plastic boxes, which will kill any resonance. Instead, they are bolted into the wood, top mounted so no loss of Core Wood, and you only sacrifice a little extra wood in making room for either a humbucker or a P-90. Not to mention cleaning up any aesthetics with various custom pickguards.

Does that make sense so far?

Chesh

Unread 08-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #41
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Dude, do not sacrifice the Core Wood on something like this. Best case scenario, have the modular pickups top-loadible, if you will. Actually, it's very easy.

If you're doing, say, a Tune-O-Matic style bridge, then you can take off the strings just by loosening them, and then removing the tailpiece. Just a snap.

Next, you can have the pickups mounted, direct coupling style, using machine bolts, either going directly into the wood, or metal bushings, which would actually allow you to easily trade them out quickly.

That coupled with the microheaders would make the perfect solution.

Here's why: First, you don't risk any tone issues with removing the Core Wood. Second, the pickups aren't couched in nexted plastic boxes, which will kill any resonance. Instead, they are bolted into the wood, top mounted so no loss of Core Wood, and you only sacrifice a little extra wood in making room for either a humbucker or a P-90. Not to mention cleaning up any aesthetics with various custom pickguards.

Does that make sense so far?

Chesh
Yeah, what I was thinking was trying to use a system that would be top or side loading that have some form of quck release. The ability to go humbucker or p90 was precisely my thought. I just would like to be able to have both in a nice single pickup guitar. The side mounting is an idea thats going to require some work, but I like it if its feasible. Perhaps an under pickguard angled trough to slide it in, but once again, who knows what I will eventually do.

I think you and me are on the same page, but I am probably going to waste a lot of time trying to come up with a fast way to change pickups without cutting the guitar's heart out.

Its a squirelly idea, I know, and by NO means commercial. Im just wanting to make a neat prototype to see how it actually comes out.

My Life.
Unread 08-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #42
Art
Superfly.

paid
I just wanted to comment on how comical it is that Chesh and Bill have completely hijacked this thread.
Unread 08-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
I just wanted to comment on how comical it is that Chesh and Bill have completely hijacked this thread.
Well, hey, as soon as x gets back here and makes another post about something he can't tell us about, we're all off and running . . .

Unread 08-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Yeah, what I was thinking was trying to use a system that would be top or side loading that have some form of quck release. The ability to go humbucker or p90 was precisely my thought. I just would like to be able to have both in a nice single pickup guitar. The side mounting is an idea thats going to require some work, but I like it if its feasible. Perhaps an under pickguard angled trough to slide it in, but once again, who knows what I will eventually do.

I think you and me are on the same page, but I am probably going to waste a lot of time trying to come up with a fast way to change pickups without cutting the guitar's heart out.

Its a squirelly idea, I know, and by NO means commercial. Im just wanting to make a neat prototype to see how it actually comes out.
Well, define a quick change . . . and why not have both in one guitar if it's about changing back and forth from humbuckers to P-90's?

You also mentioned a one pickup guitar . . . I have an idea.

Unread 08-19-2005, 05:32 PM   #45
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Well, define a quick change . . . and why not have both in one guitar if it's about changing back and forth from humbuckers to P-90's?

You also mentioned a one pickup guitar . . . I have an idea.

Not resoldering and taking the whole thing apart. Just relatively quick. Id prefer to be able to do it without changing strings, but it's an idea, nothing more (except that I got permission to start guitar #2 soon)

My Life.