Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2005, 04:52 AM   #1
Banned

tonal quality

hey everyone. i would sound almost exactly like Tyler Burkum (Audio Adrenaline- he sings "Speak to Me", "Ocean Floor", "Leaving Ninety-Nine", etc.) except when i sing it sounds a little like my nose is plugged (even more so when i haven't warmed up) like the guy in Big Daddy Weave or 12 Stones. i know it has to do with the shape of my face and nasal cavity and it's a very slight problem anyways, but does anyone know how i could prevent this? i like the more clear sounding voice of Tyler. thanks.

fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-05-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
I-IV-V

A lot of times the reason that vocals will sound "nasally" is because you are breathing from your chest and not using your diaphragm. If, when you breathe, your shoulders move up and down a lot, you are probably not using your diaphragm and breathing as deeply as you could.

Of course one other thing to make sure is that your nose isn't actually plugged (like you have a cold or something). That can affect your vocals a lot.

I personally haven't heard having a nasally voice have to do with the shape of a person's face or nasal cavity, so if it makes you feel any better it is probably something that you can change.

Here's a website that talks about diaphragm breathing in more detail:
http://www.vocalist.org.uk/breathing_cp.html

And here's a link where you can probably find more stuff:
http://www.google.com/search?q=diaph...athing+singing

Also, if you are still in school or know a singer, you could always ask them for tips and stuff. Good luck!
Unread 08-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
Godin/Seagull Man

I have had that trouble with a nasal sounding voice. It is also present in my speaking voice. I do think it can have something to do with your anatomy and possible sinus blockage, but there are some things you can do about it. Try this exercise: Try to humm by making an m sound with your lips and make the lips vibrate a little. Focus the sound on your lips and then release your lips and make an ahh sound. Make sure you are filling your lungs from the bottom and allow your stomach and sides to expand ( I would say breathe from your diagphram but this is confusing because your diaphram doesn't actually breath; it is the muscle that pulls your lungs down and forces air into them.) I'm sure there are several threads on breathing technique. Also make sure you stand with good posture with your shoulders raised. To do this, raise your hands in the air and then let them drop while keeping your shoulders in the same position. You don't want to breath from your chest but you do want to make sure that the cavity is fully open. I usually focus on trying to get more resonance in the my chest cavity so the sound doesn't resonate as much in the sinuses. Hope that helps.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
Banned

well, my voice isn't as much "nasaly" as it sounds like my nose is slightly plugged. sort of like Matt (Sanctus Real) only not as much so. i always make sure my nasal passages are clear before singing, and it helps, but my voice is seldom perfectly clear. actually i just sucked water up my nose and blew my nose and if i push my voice a little like Trevor (Thousand Foot Krutch), breathe diaphragmatically, and open my mouth wider and limit the airflow through my nose my voice sounds almost as clear as Ty's. never tried all those things before.
Unread 08-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Godin/Seagull Man

Are you putting salt in the water that you suck up? If you don't, it can be kind of painful. I like to mix about a 1/4 teaspoon of canning salt (less impurities than table salt) and a pinch of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water. The idea is to use an isontonic or slightly hypertonic solution which is a solution with the same or slightly higher salinity than your tissues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallinguprawks
well, my voice isn't as much "nasaly" as it sounds like my nose is slightly plugged. sort of like Matt (Sanctus Real) only not as much so. i always make sure my nasal passages are clear before singing, and it helps, but my voice is seldom perfectly clear. actually i just sucked water up my nose and blew my nose and if i push my voice a little like Trevor (Thousand Foot Krutch), breathe diaphragmatically, and open my mouth wider and limit the airflow through my nose my voice sounds almost as clear as Ty's. never tried all those things before.
presbystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2005, 06:47 PM   #6
Banned

oh thank you. i'll try that