Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #61
Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Yes, that would also be hard to justify. As the supposed spiritual leader of my household, I am accountable to my wife and children who watch what I do. This is just my personal conviction and I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do.

On topic, I've seen good things about Baker Guitars made right here in the State of Washington.
I concur whole-heartedly with the first sentiment above - my personal conviction, as well (ie. no Deans in my future).

As for Baker, Ed Roman bought Baker Guitars and now has copies of the originals imported under the same name. A pre-Roman Baker may sell for $4k used, while a brand new Roman-Baker is about $1k or so in Roman's shop.

And to add to the "it's a matter of personal preference" theme:
Terry McInturff won't put 24 frets on a guitar because he thinks the tone would be compromised. Tom Amderson will not make anything but bolt-on necks because he thinks tone would be compromised. It makes more sense to decide what YOU like best instead of THE best.

Unread 08-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #62
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm_guy
As for Baker, Ed Roman bought Baker Guitars and now has copies of the originals imported under the same name. A pre-Roman Baker may sell for $4k used, while a brand new Roman-Baker is about $1k or so in Roman's shop.

And to add to the "it's a matter of personal preference" theme:
Terry McInturff won't put 24 frets on a guitar because he thinks the tone would be compromised. Tom Amderson will not make anything but bolt-on necks because he thinks tone would be compromised. It makes more sense to decide what YOU like best instead of THE best.
So Baker's may no longer be that good - obviously something has happened to drop the price so drastically.

With regard to the bolt-on neck, I've been reading about Leo Fender and how this came about. He really wanted to simplify all things about the guitar. so he felt that if there was a problem with the neck or fretboard, a bolt-on neck could come off easily and could be sent back to the Fender shop for repair. You can't do that with a set-neck or thru-body neck. The more I find out about him, the more impressed I am! We electric players owe him a lot.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 04:11 AM   #63
97% Fat Free

Send a message via MSN to reags
Hey fellas (esp you old school ppl who still lurk around here) it's been a while!

anyways Im back and my 2 cents on this thread -

'best brand' is really in the eye of the beholder.

my 'best brands' in terms of price & quality would be -

Taylor
PRS
Martin

i know there's many many more out there but these are the 3 main ones I've personally encountered and enjoyed. As for Gibsons...I was rather let down by the weight and quality of their builds. I'm yet to test run a Gretsch one day, should be fun.

2oo3 Taylor 614ce L3
2oo6 Taylor Baby 305 M
2oo6 Taylor W65ce
reags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #64
I love music!

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazy4Christ14
I forgot my guitar for youth group one day and was forced to borrow a squier strat from a neighbor to lead worship with, I absolutely hated it. A friend of mine also has a Washburn and I've played it several times, I also absolutely hate it. I've played a 1,600 dollar Fender strat and I liked it a lot. My favorite has to be my $280 Cort strat though, I love the sound and how it feels when you play it, (I don't know what that's called.) My first electric was a Yamaha rgx 110 that I got for 20 bucks at a yard sale. Had to resolder the ground on the pickup, but I still love to play that guitar. Does anybody know anything about J. Reynolds or Arbor?
3El saber este primer, de que allí vendrá en los "scoffers" pasados de los días, caminando después de que sus propias lujurias... 5Por esto ellas sean dispuesto ignorantes de, (QUE es EL GRIEGO PARA "MUDO EN PROPÓSITO") eso por la palabra del dios los cielos estaba de viejo, y de la tierra que estaba parada fuera del agua y en el agua.
Crazy4Christ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #65
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROOVADELIC
"I'm by no means a Taylor fan by a long shot, but the review about the Jasmine being as good as the Taylor is a fine example of why you can't trust anonymous online reviews by folks with quesionable credentials and motives. IF that guy really thinks his Jasmine is as good as ANY Taylor it's because he doesn't know any better. Good grief!!"

Ditto.

"Let me tell you something, sir. I have an Alvarez RD-8 that I bought for $199 including hardshell case that sounds better than most Taylor, Martin, and Gibson Acoustics I've played. Now, I know tone is subjective but when you let guitarists that have been playing for 20+ years play your guitar, and they agree with your claim - then hopefully that says something.."

I don't care who you are, I've been playing guitar for 10 years, no production guitar that is made out of a laminated top, back, and sides, finished in urethane can sound better than a production or hand built solid top acoustic finished in top of the line nitro. PERIOD.

To chime in the topic: Fender's and Gibsons are not overrated. Some people get mad (mostly beginners) over $15-20 maintenance issues that they can take care of at home and judged the quality of the instrument off of that. Things like - action, intonation, fret buzz... actually, I'd be kinda freaked if a guitar never had any of these problems. It's wood we're dealing with here right?

You'd be suprised. I have a beautiful Takamine Jasmine, and yes, Im quite aware that its a freak of nature that its anything near as good as it is. I bought it for $40 a long time ago, (8 years or so) and it has given me no problems whatsoever, and sounds pretty much identical to a solid top G series. Its that with the cheapo guitars 1 in a 100 may be exceptionally high quality, but 80 may suck. I don't like most of the taylors as well as I do my Jasmine.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #66
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
You'd be suprised. I have a beautiful Takamine Jasmine, and yes, Im quite aware that its a freak of nature that its anything near as good as it is. I bought it for $40 a long time ago, (8 years or so) and it has given me no problems whatsoever, and sounds pretty much identical to a solid top G series. Its that with the cheapo guitars 1 in a 100 may be exceptionally high quality, but 80 may suck. I don't like most of the taylors as well as I do my Jasmine.
I'm curious - is that plugged in or unplugged? If plugged in, is it through the same amp or PA that you're comparing? I have this suspicion that when we have played a certain guitar a while (and 8 years is a reasonably long time), it tends to define the sound we expect to hear when comparing instruments. Thus, anything that does not sound like it would appear to sound inferior. Plus, we are all partial to our own instruments and that is purely a matter of preference. Even if you put the test to another third party, it would still be subject to their preference which may not match our own. Some like 'em bright sounding, some like the deeper bass - again, purely a matter of taste.

A really fair test would be this: play a Taylor (or any other guitar brand) for eight years and compare it with your Jasmine at the end of that time. Then you would be able to really know which was the better guitar. With acoustics, aging of the top made of premium wood usually makes the guitar better and is an intangible part of judging a guitar.
Unread 08-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #67
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
I'm curious - is that plugged in or unplugged? If plugged in, is it through the same amp or PA that you're comparing? I have this suspicion that when we have played a certain guitar a while (and 8 years is a reasonably long time), it tends to define the sound we expect to hear when comparing instruments. Thus, anything that does not sound like it would appear to sound inferior. Plus, we are all partial to our own instruments and that is purely a matter of preference. Even if you put the test to another third party, it would still be subject to their preference which may not match our own. Some like 'em bright sounding, some like the deeper bass - again, purely a matter of taste.

A really fair test would be this: play a Taylor (or any other guitar brand) for eight years and compare it with your Jasmine at the end of that time. Then you would be able to really know which was the better guitar. With acoustics, aging of the top made of premium wood usually makes the guitar better and is an intangible part of judging a guitar.
actually four of those years were with a takamine G solid right at my disposal. And its not so much that Im partial. I went shopping to upgrade and could not find a better accoustic, and left deciding that it would be a total waste. I have played a dozen accoustics for extended periods of times in those same years and maybe two were better sounding. When I play an accoustic, I play an accoustic, not an a/e.

I really have an affinity for solid tops and top of the line components, but frankly, there are some really good sounding instruments cheap. Its just highly unusual. And the sound difference in a vintage guitar is tangible.

I recently built myself an electric, and you can bet there are no cheap parts in there. Its just you can't discount a claim because of a company's image.

My Life.
Unread 08-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #68
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
actually four of those years were with a takamine G solid right at my disposal. And its not so much that Im partial. I went shopping to upgrade and could not find a better accoustic, and left deciding that it would be a total waste. I have played a dozen accoustics for extended periods of times in those same years and maybe two were better sounding. When I play an accoustic, I play an accoustic, not an a/e.

I really have an affinity for solid tops and top of the line components, but frankly, there are some really good sounding instruments cheap. Its just highly unusual. And the sound difference in a vintage guitar is tangible.

I recently built myself an electric, and you can bet there are no cheap parts in there. Its just you can't discount a claim because of a company's image.
Thanks for your response. It sounds like you have a rare winner there.

Just to clarify, what I meant by intangible is if the sound changes over time, it is not tangible at the time you first get a new guitar. I agree, once that process stops, or if it really does, then it is tangible. Therefore, it may make sense to get an older acoustic that you really like.
Unread 08-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #69
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Thanks for your response. It sounds like you have a rare winner there.

Just to clarify, what I meant by intangible is if the sound changes over time, it is not tangible at the time you first get a new guitar. I agree, once that process stops, or if it really does, then it is tangible. Therefore, it may make sense to get an older acoustic that you really like.

Its a fluke and a freak. I make no bones about that. And I am aware that mine won't have increased warmth with time. Its plywood topped, so the wood isn't going to cure like a solid top will. (For the record I don't buy new gear, I prefer it used, if I got it new other than my first electric... I made it. Thats my policy.)

My Life.
Unread 08-13-2005, 12:03 AM   #70
I love music!

Send a message via Yahoo to Crazy4Christ14
Does anybody know anything about J. Reynolds or Arbor?
3El saber este primer, de que allí vendrá en los "scoffers" pasados de los días, caminando después de que sus propias lujurias... 5Por esto ellas sean dispuesto ignorantes de, (QUE es EL GRIEGO PARA "MUDO EN PROPÓSITO") eso por la palabra del dios los cielos estaba de viejo, y de la tierra que estaba parada fuera del agua y en el agua.
Crazy4Christ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #71
I play Guitar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reags
Hey fellas (esp you old school ppl who still lurk around here) it's been a while!

anyways Im back and my 2 cents on this thread -
Hey! Good to see you again! Where have ya been?
Unread 08-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #72
Constantly growing

My opinion:
Electric
PRS
Rickenbacker

Acoustic
Gibson
Takamine
surferdude9375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #73

Question Is Carlo Robola a Good Brand?

Is Carlo Robola a Good Brand?
ACDCROCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 03:47 AM   #74
97% Fat Free

Send a message via MSN to reags
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoMan
Hey! Good to see you again! Where have ya been?
Buddy! Wow! Hows ya been ol' timer??

Myself...been working (deferred uni last year) and back at it this year...finding it tough at times getting back into the work mode after deferring for so long
Church & music is going great and at times challenging which is good - means I rely on God alot more
Say...remember all those old school banners I made? I found em all on my hard drive! haha good times

2oo3 Taylor 614ce L3
2oo6 Taylor Baby 305 M
2oo6 Taylor W65ce
reags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #75
I play Guitar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDCROCKER
Is Carlo Robola a Good Brand?
I've neve heard of them, but a quick harmony central review search (and this is assuming you mean Carlo Robelli, not Carlo Robola) they seem to be pretty good guitars, though there are some mixed reviews.

Quote:
Buddy! Wow! Hows ya been ol' timer??

Myself...been working (deferred uni last year) and back at it this year...finding it tough at times getting back into the work mode after deferring for so long
Church & music is going great and at times challenging which is good - means I rely on God alot more
Say...remember all those old school banners I made? I found em all on my hard drive! haha good times
Lifes been good. And I still have the banner you made for me on the hard drive

To keep this related to the topic, how is the T5? It sure looks nice!