Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-30-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
X

Send a message via Yahoo to Cobrasvenom
Exclamation Bass chord list anyone where can i find it?!?!

Im a poor guitarist trying to help out my bassist friend. The poor guy doesnt have internet access and cant do this himself. So Ill do it for him. I have spent hours searching the net for a complete list of bass chords. You know like guitar chords, but for bass. The only ones i have found are either for sale (did i mention im poor(and so is he)) or are extremely incomplete. Please someone help us out. All we ant to do is play music So anyone, anywhere, please All we need is a list of bass chords.

Last edited by Cobrasvenom; 07-30-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Cobrasvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-30-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
Follows trends...

I never was able to find any either. So I just made up my own. I started a thread called "Strumming" in the bass forum here where we share chord shapes for bass. I just started it so theres hardly any. You could also post the chords you want to know on here and I will try to figure them out for you.
SmileAndFollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
Lee

Send a message via AIM to LWatford
Here are a few I posted awhile back. I'm not sure what you're needing, or where your friend is skill wise, but remember that bass typically isn't a chordal instrument. So don't worry too much about figuring out chords and such on the bass, especially if you're just starting up.

I'm so much cooler online.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
X

Well what we are trying to do is just play most of your regular worship music with a's,d's,g's, eminors, etc etc. But he doesnt know how to play those chords. Like if some one gave him a worship song sheet, you know the ones with just the letters of the chords above it, he wouldnt know how to play that, because he doesnt know what a G is. So he has to be trained to play each song we give him individually off of tabs. It would be great if we knew how to teach him just basic notes. Thanks for you help so far. I hope to see more here soon.
Unread 08-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #5

If you give him the chord chart he should be able to at least get a start from that. Pretty much the only thing you have to know is how to read the first letter of the chord for the roots and know where they are on the fret board. Hopefully he is putting in enough effort to learn and not have to be pushed to learn this stuff, otherwise I'd question his motivation.
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI Programable
Wildcats2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
My other car is a Roscoe

Send a message via AIM to BassmanA440
Here is a pic of the notes on the first five frets (and open strings). Good place to start. Match the finger placment to the root note (bootom note) on the music and ya got it.

# = Sharps
b = Flats

Good luck.

(Sorry about spelling, wife nagging "time for church- wa wa wa")
Unread 08-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
X

So how would you play an em on a bass? We just dont know where to start im a guitarist and he is just starting to play, and doesnt know anything about theory(not that i do). So we bsically need to know how to play an em g c d and that would be a good start.
Unread 08-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
My other car is a Roscoe

Send a message via AIM to BassmanA440
O Tay,

So for now, while you are just starting, play the roots. Whole notes, half notes, quarters, eigths or anything that fits in with what the rest of the rythm section is doing (especially the drummer).

em, play E, just the one note - not the whole chord. (open E string or second fret on the D string) (just like on the chart up there)

g major, play G (open G string, or third fret on the A string)

c major, play C (third fret on the A string, or fifth fret on the G string)

d major, play D (open D string, or fifth fret on the A string)
d minor, play D (open D string, or fifth fret on the A string)
d augmented, play D (open D string, or fifth fret on the A string)
d diminished, play D (open D string, or fifth fret on the A string) (get it? the roots of the chord)

After you can find the right roots for the chords, then you can start expanding by adding thirds, fifths, sevenths, and other goodies.
If this is not clear as mud to you yet, we will just have to think of another way to explain.
Unread 08-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
band geek extrordinaire

Send a message via AIM to Luthen_Inadon Send a message via MSN to Luthen_Inadon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrasvenom
Well what we are trying to do is just play most of your regular worship music with a's,d's,g's, eminors, etc etc. But he doesnt know how to play those chords. Like if some one gave him a worship song sheet, you know the ones with just the letters of the chords above it, he wouldnt know how to play that, because he doesnt know what a G is. So he has to be trained to play each song we give him individually off of tabs. It would be great if we knew how to teach him just basic notes. Thanks for you help so far. I hope to see more here soon.
1 fret=1/2 step, so the notes on the respective string (up to 12th fret)
E-F-F#-G-G#-A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E
A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A
D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A-A#-B-C-C#-D
G-G#-A-A#-B-C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G
Enharmonics F#=Gflat, G#=Aflat, A#=Bflat, C#=Dflat, D#=Eflat, F=E#, & C=B#
and finally, when playing Bass, one can play the root of the chord (bottom note) the root can me ascertained by looking at the letter and any sharp or flat signs next to it...
Unread 08-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
X

So bassically all he has to do is play the "root chord" as you put it. So he would play an E,em, e7, esus, esus7, etc etc the same way. Just an E. Hmmmm, that seems to simple, but well try it. Thanks alot.
Unread 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Chord Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrasvenom View Post
All we need is a list of bass chords.
8 years later, I hope this site will provide help for anyone in need of Bass Chords

www dot studybass.com/tools/chord-scale-note-printer

Sorry because I just joined to post this reply (as a lot of people around the web seem to be looking for a list of Bass chords the forums did not allow me to post a direct link...

You can choose your type of Bass (4,5,6 string), and the choose which chords you are looking for, and bam the inbuilt app will handle the rest...

All the best!
Prince-Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #12

My recommendation is send him to studybass.com. has all the lessons he will ever need for free-from theory to scales and so on. It lists chords and where to find them on the neck. Best of all-it is all free. If he makes it through all the lessons it would be like a masters degree in Bass playing!

My bad-just saw the post above me, didn't mean to duplicate.
Evansrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #13

Due to the low frequencies, most bass players don't play chords below the 12th fret. You can, don't get me wrong, but you have to use wider spaced intervals. Otherwise, the chord sounds somewhat muddy.

I've used this book in the past.

Mel Bay Bass Chord Picture Book: William Bay: 9780786661749: Amazon.com: Books

Better than chords, I'd advise your friend to practice arpeggios. That's a practical way to play chords on bass.