Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #1

how to sing in head voice?

hey

yeah, just wondering how to use my head voice. or if i am already, how i can tell...haven't had any real vocal training/instruction.

i've heard that head voice "occurs" when you no longer sing from your diaphragm and use the same parts as you do when singing falsetto (i can do falsetto). frankly, that just confuses me. i've also heard that it's supposed to come naturally as you go into your higher registers, but again, i feel/comprehend no change in technique (or lack thereof).

if it's any help, i can sing about from a G two octaves below middle C to the E above in what i perceive to be my normal range (no falsetto).

thanks a bunch.

special k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
singing in your head voice is when you sing in the top part of your range. when you sing in your chest voice, you normally sing around the range you would speak in. singing in your head voice obviously gives a much higher sound than in your chest voice, and sounds somewhat falsetto-y. I have heard that falsetto and head voice are the same thing, and I have also heard them described differently- I am not a voice major, so I'll leave that part to those who are studying voice.

about not singing from your diaphragm when you sing with your head voice- that is false. you have to alter the way your mouth is inside (you have to lift the soft palette at the back of your throat like you're yawning...I am still not good at that) but you do not alter the way you breathe. using your chest is incorrect no matter where you're singing.

honestly, if I were you I would try to find someone who sings even just for fun and have them listen to you sing. they will be able to tell if you're using your head voice. or, if you have the means, just post a clip in here.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 05:28 AM   #3
Israeli Dude

Wait.. And what if I NEVER sing around the height I speak in?
I speak really low compared to how I sing, and I find it annoying and uncomfortable to sing low.
Xakep_INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Banned

i, along with beanbag, have heard that falsetto=head voice, and that they are different but can coincide. i have no idea which is true. i also pass this question on to those more knowledgeable than myself.

from what i've been told, head voice is when your voice goes high enough that it sounds light and airy (not necessarily falsetto). but i'm probly wrong.

but if you are asking how to tell when you are using falsetto, i can try to explain it. when your voice cracks, you are going into falsetto involuntarily because your chest voice is straining or cannot go high enough. so, after or higher than when your voice breaks is when you are in falsetto.

if you are asking how to get into falsetto, i can attempt to explain with as little knowledge of vocal anatomy as i have. here goes nothing

ok, when you sing or talk, your vocal cords separate and let air through. when you make them longer or shorter it increases or decreases their rate of vibration (doing warmups gives them more elasticity but i won't get into that right now). when you make them as short as you can is where your chest voice ends. falsetto is opening only a small part of your whole vocal cord and vibrating that. thus the higher pitch without straining. your falsetto can be developed to sound very much like your chest voice by adding trebble to it. this can be done by just using it. i have had to do this to be able to sing contemporary music without straining because i am a basso profundo.

oh- just so you know, some people can't use their falsetto's. i don't know what causes this and i assume it is genetic. however, i've only met a dozen or so people like that, and all but two were tonedeaf anyways.

hope this helps!
-jesse
fallinguprawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
Israeli Dude

So wait, this brings me to a certain problem.
What if I'm never able to sing loud in my talking range?
I heard from a couple of people that I sing ONLY in head voice, which makes my voice much higher than talking, but also weaker.

Are there any ways to train it?

Here is a clip by the way. (In Hebrew.. sorry :P)
Xakep_INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Beyer413
Falsetto is indeed the same thing as head voice, however, the key to a good head voice is having a ot of power, where falsetto is very weak.

Take a bunch of rediculous chords that sound strange together, put them into a progression, get a ride cymbal to go ganggankadanggankadang.... take a hit hat and go chik.chik.chik. on 2 and 4, get an upright bassist to lay down that walking bassline bahbahbahbahbahbahbahbahbah, and play a solo using those rediculous chord s that sorta goes doodedoodedoodedoodedoodedoooo. blahp ba pa doo waooooww.... then get into that bluesy groove!

Or something like that.
Beyer413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
still not a stale muffin.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xakep_INC
So wait, this brings me to a certain problem.
What if I'm never able to sing loud in my talking range?
I heard from a couple of people that I sing ONLY in head voice, which makes my voice much higher than talking, but also weaker.

Are there any ways to train it?
like everything else, singing takes practise. you just have to go up and down the scale as high as you can and as low as you can. the more you sing in the weaker areas of your range, the more you will be able to strengthen and train them.

try singing lower than you do normally and see what happens after a few weeks. if you practise lower consistently, you should start to notice that it gets more comfortable to sing lower. only one thing- if it starts to hurt, stop.

dumb statement du jour: a stadium's like a big building, right?

let me entertain you!
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote