Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-26-2005, 05:04 AM   #1
An ingrowing Whale

Send a message via AIM to dnl88
Gibson vs epiphone

Hi

I was thinking after my amp about getting a les paul. Now the thing is I don't want to spend too much on the les paul cos I wouldn't mind a telecaster to go with it. So I was thinking about an epiphone high end guitar (not elitist though).
How do epiphone compare to gibson, firstly sound wise? And do they have the same feel? I know they play great but do they really compare?

I think a les paul and a telecaster (made in mexico or highway usa if I'm very lucky) are a good choice for a rock guitarist aren't they?

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

dnl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-26-2005, 05:20 AM   #2
FTS
Something

Sorry I can't offer any first hand experience on either. But another option you have, if I recall correctly, is a Tokai. I'm pretty sure they do an LP as well.
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #3

I have had LP's from three different builders. Epiphone, Gibson and Heritage.

The standard Epi LP's are about 50% of the quality of a Gibson at 25% of the price. The Epiphone Elitist series is a differnt story.

The Elitist LP's really do approach the quality of the Gibson's for about half the price.

Like it or not, Gibson's set the standard. But they are WAY overpriced.

The Heritage is easily as good as the Gibson at about 70% of the price, plus you can pick and choose your options like it was a custom shop.

Just my opinion.

Dr.
DrFrankStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 11:00 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Heritages are supposed to be great. Alot of people here will also recommend Agile guitars from www.rondomusic.net. i don't know how those play compare to actual Epiphones or Gibsons, but I know they generally run int he price range of mid-end Epiphones and are supposed to be much better.

the Tokai LoveRock Les Paul lawsuit guitars (called lawsuit because Tokai ended up getting sued by Gibson for copyright infringement) as well as Ibanez Les Paul lawsuit guitars from the 1980s are both supposed to be decent instruments as well, though i'm not sure on the price range of those these days as I know they have gained popularity as vintage instruments.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Banned

Here's another vote for Heritage.
PacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #6

the problem is this...if he can't afford an Epiphone Elitist, how is he going to afford a Heritage?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
Why am I still here?

The problem with Epi is quality control. There are some out there that will sound great, but there are a lot out there that sound like crap. If you play enough, you might find a pretty good one. One thing about Epi's compared to Gibson though is the electronics don't even compare. Open up and Epi and a Gibson and you'll see the huge difference. The Epi's quality just doesn't come close. If you're on a real budget, I've heard a lot of good about Agile, though they seem to be hit and miss too, but you spend a lot less than Epi or Gibson.
Unread 06-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #8

I've personaly been through the Epi electronics mess....and almost set it on fire(out of frustration). I replaced the pickups and completely rewired the control section(changed pots too), and after all was said and done I'd say it sounds just as good as a gibson.

I was very fortunate w/ my Epi, in that it was flawless(rare, but not imposible to find) as far as construction goes. I think my guitar has more sustain than a gibson due to the lite finish they use.

The feel, however, is not the same as a gibson.

If you have the patience and dilligence to sort through a lot of mediocre guitars to find a gem then I would recomend the Epi, if not then I'd go w/ a used Gibson.

Hope that helps

http://www.smoothstoneguitars.com

....In case you were wondering, I am not dale
BlessedNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
the problem is this...if he can't afford an Epiphone Elitist, how is he going to afford a Heritage?
Actually, I got my Heritage H157 which is similar to a LP Custom for about $1,000 which is way less than the Gibson LP Custom. You can get a good H150 used for $700 to $900. A used H140 would be even cheaper, and it would even beat out the Epi.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Actually, I got my Heritage H157 which is similar to a LP Custom for about $1,000 which is way less than the Gibson LP Custom. You can get a good H150 used for $700 to $900. A used H140 would be even cheaper, and it would even beat out the Epi.
ah...the store i was looking at them in didnt' have any of those models. the cheapest model they had was like $1300.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #11
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
ah...the store i was looking at them in didnt' have any of those models. the cheapest model they had was like $1300.
The H150 and H140 are more common than the H157. Do an eBay search and buy one used - that's my advice. Why? Because they are not as well known as Gibson and the resale value is not as good as a Gibson. But, if you have a great sounding and playing guitar, why would you care about resale? The players are keepers!
Unread 06-26-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnl88
I think a les paul and a telecaster (made in mexico or highway usa if I'm very lucky) are a good choice for a rock guitarist aren't they?
Not necessarily so. I've been looking at a ton of concert DVDs lately, especially with many of the big names and the most common guitar is the Fender Strat or some variation of the Strat. Everything else is way behind. I'd get a Strat (Highway 1 even).

Sorry if I sound confused between the Strat and my Heritage, but I posted that if you had to get a LP, try Heritage. I'm sold out completely on Strats (especially Fender and G&L for now, anyway) and it's been a long journey.
Unread 06-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
Why am I still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Not necessarily so. I've been looking at a ton of concert DVDs lately, especially with many of the big names and the most common guitar is the Fender Strat or some variation of the Strat. Everything else is way behind. I'd get a Strat (Highway 1 even).

Sorry if I sound confused between the Strat and my Heritage, but I posted that if you had to get a LP, try Heritage. I'm sold out completely on Strats (especially Fender and G&L for now, anyway) and it's been a long journey.
You can choose whatever kinda guitar you want for any style of music. Les Pauls and Teles are used a lot in rock music. A lot of people use Strats too. But I don't think you're accurately representing the Les Paul and Tele in music saying that they are "way behind". If it's even true that Strats are the most common, I highly doubt they are ahead by all that much. Even so, I don't think it matters what the majority uses. Get a guitar that's built well, sounds good, and that you like.
Unread 06-26-2005, 06:37 PM   #14
BLOODDRIVEBASS

Send a message via AIM to BLOODDRIVEBASS
Ive played a LP from epiphone and one made by starfield and but i have a friend with the gibson. Although a nicer guitar you are definently paying for the name gibson being written on the guitar. If you buy a high end epiphone you wont be disapointed.
BLOODDRIVEBASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #15
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
You can choose whatever kinda guitar you want for any style of music. Les Pauls and Teles are used a lot in rock music. A lot of people use Strats too. But I don't think you're accurately representing the Les Paul and Tele in music saying that they are "way behind". If it's even true that Strats are the most common, I highly doubt they are ahead by all that much. Even so, I don't think it matters what the majority uses. Get a guitar that's built well, sounds good, and that you like.
What I meant by "way behind" is that you see way more Strats than LP's. SG's, Tele's, PRS or whatever. I'm only talking about the numerous concert DVD's with good players that I've seen over the past months. In nearly every case, someone is playing a Strat and more likely a Fender Strat. Therefore, to say that an LP or Tele is more a rock guitar is a misconception. If I was starting out and I saw all the great players on these DVD's, I would definitely consider the Strat to be the rock and roll guitar!