Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2005, 03:18 AM   #46
An ingrowing Whale

Send a message via AIM to dnl88
Ok I thought about it. Better save up for 1 good gibson than 2 other guitars includimng 1 copy. But I was wondering. I've seen that gibson make a les paul special w/humbuckers that looks great and costs 200$ less than a studio. The mecanic and pickups are the same as a les paul studio. What is this guitar really like? I love the design more than anything (no pickguard and lovely color).

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

dnl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-28-2005, 03:53 AM   #47
I'm Rick James....

Send a message via MSN to guitarguy Send a message via Yahoo to guitarguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
What I meant by "way behind" is that you see way more Strats than LP's. SG's, Tele's, PRS or whatever. I'm only talking about the numerous concert DVD's with good players that I've seen over the past months. In nearly every case, someone is playing a Strat and more likely a Fender Strat. Therefore, to say that an LP or Tele is more a rock guitar is a misconception. If I was starting out and I saw all the great players on these DVD's, I would definitely consider the Strat to be the rock and roll guitar!
I have a bunch of concert dvd's and haven't seen one strat. All I have seen are Les Pauls, SGs, and other assorted guitars of like mannor. I myself have owned a gibson LP custom (vintage white), and an Epiphone LP and can say that after playing both extensivly that the Epiphone IMO is the better. This being said after I switched the faulty electronics with EMG 81's and new pots.

One love

Jake
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 03:57 AM   #48
I'm Rick James....

What makes it different is the same thing that makes the studio different from the standard. The materials used to make the guitar are of less quality. I'm not saying that the guitar in question is a cheap made guitar (it's a gibson, come on) but they just use cheaper materials to build it. And production quality may be a little sub-standard.

One love

Jake
Unread 06-28-2005, 04:22 AM   #49
An ingrowing Whale

Its exactly the same wood used though but theres no maple cap

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

Unread 06-28-2005, 06:49 AM   #50

I can make a Strat sound close to a Les Paul,but you can't get a Les Paul to sound like a Strat,and I've got single coils,and the're pretty hot.
Unread 06-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #51
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnl88
Its exactly the same wood used though but theres no maple cap
The maple cap adds a lot of the attack and midragey bite to the LP sound. If there's no maple cap, you'll get a sound more akin to an SG.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #52
An ingrowing Whale

wowow.

I'm not gonna be buying it (I need my amp first) But theres this guy selling a gibson les paul studio for 500Euros!!!! And even better Les paul studio + fender 85 watt amp + crybaby + boss effect for 600euros. Incredible. Obviously you can get good prices second hand

Strangeday Rock!!!!!

Unread 06-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #53
I'm on a horse.

I always buy used stuff. You just get better stuff.

Unread 06-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #54
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
I always buy used stuff. You just get better stuff.
Ditto, unless you can't get it used.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 03:01 PM   #55

Location: not that im not a trusting guy, but hey this is the internet we're talkin about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
Granted, but you're only viewing a small section of guitarists that are out there and can't possibly make an entire generalization that is accurate based upon that. If I did the same, I could look at the guitarists at my school and say that Tele's are the most used guitars, Les Pauls second, and Strats are barely used at all. But this isn't true. I don't think anyone can definitively say what guitar is used the most for any genre...

I hate hate hate hate hate this stereotype. It is completely inaccurate and it probably keeps a lot of young players from trying this great instrument.
i like teles...but the only one i would consider buying is the 72' thinline with the 2 humbuckers

strat® copy-->Zoom Fire-18M-->w/e cab around
yamaha classical
Hohner Contessa
Rock_4_god_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2005, 11:13 AM   #56
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApparentlyNothing
Granted, but you're only viewing a small section of guitarists that are out there and can't possibly make an entire generalization that is accurate based upon that. If I did the same, I could look at the guitarists at my school and say that Tele's are the most used guitars, Les Pauls second, and Strats are barely used at all. But this isn't true. I don't think anyone can definitively say what guitar is used the most for any genre...
I gotta disagree here.

I think it's safe to say that Fender Telecasters dominate country, and that Strats dominate the blues.

Now, there are exceptions to any rule, but the odds say that if you were to poll "X" number of folks dedicated to those genres, you're going to find they are dispropotionately represented.
PacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #57
iGuitar

Send a message via AIM to guitarjockey111 Send a message via MSN to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Yahoo to guitarjockey111 Send a message via Skype™ to guitarjockey111
ok ive been readin along on this thread for awhile and ive heard people tlak about wiring isues between an epiphone and a les paul so i was wondering what teh diffrence was,cause i have an epi les paul and i was thingking of changing the pickusp to a SD Jeff Beck in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.but if i were to do this would the whole guitar have to get rewired or is tehre wiring stuff that i could have done to it to make it sound better and stuff.

"A man without a vision is a man without a future. A man without a future will always return to his past.” ~ Cleddie Keith"
guitarjockey111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #58
I'm on a horse.

If you're just replacing pickups, then there's not really a whole lot of rewiring you have to do. Just remove the two wires from the old pickup, and wire the wires of the new pickup right where the old one used to be. It's basically the same procedure in every guitar.

Unread 07-02-2005, 03:32 AM   #59
I'm Rick James....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATMAN
I can make a Strat sound close to a Les Paul,but you can't get a Les Paul to sound like a Strat,and I've got single coils,and the're pretty hot.
If you want to sound like a Les Paul then buy one. Same thing for a strat. And yes you may get close to the sound of a les paul but no matter how much you have to cover it up it still sounds like a single coil.
Unread 07-02-2005, 06:16 AM   #60
An ingrowing Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy
If you want to sound like a Les Paul then buy one. Same thing for a strat. And yes you may get close to the sound of a les paul but no matter how much you have to cover it up it still sounds like a single coil.
well said!!!

Strangeday Rock!!!!!