Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Logistics > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2005, 02:07 AM   #1
rebel without applause

I wish I knew what I know now, when I was younger.

Basically stuff know now but could have used when you first started off leading worship. I'll get the ball rolling

To be more compromising in my musical tastes. The Holy Spirit surpises me how I enjoy things I never could before.
Don't treat worship like a jam session.
No matter little practice time you have, there's always time for prayer.
You can never have too much practice.
Don't ask anyone and everyone to sing.

sallyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
Laconic Geezer Veep

paid
Okay, here are some of mine:

Does that song move you to tears because of its message, or merely its sentimentality?

You will probably get sick of a song before the congregation does. Remember, they’re not at your rehearsals.

“Cool” really doesn’t have much to do with worship, but it’s not inherently bad.

Odds are, the Holy Spirit isn’t going to play for you, so you’d better practice. True musicianship doesn’t just happen.

Check your tuning just before you start.

Arrive on time. In fact, be a little early.

Always have another pick handy.

A true musician learns when not to play. Your silence can be more striking than your playing.

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Be happy
Super Moderator

In the long run, knowing how to play C#dim7 is more important than knowing how to solo.

I suggest you do the same.
bobthecockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
She's a guitar hero!

Send a message via AIM to Dave H
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach
In the long run, knowing how to play C#dim7 is more important than knowing how to solo.
Perhaps, but maybe you're job on the team is to play lead guitar, if so, knowing how to solo might be more important

I think I've realized that it's more important to know your role on the team and work on doing that to the best of your ability, whether it be playing minor diminished chords or playing a solo.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecockroach
... and Em11.

"(a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.
(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or
recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.
Texas Constitution, Article I, Section 32"
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
You wanna see dry land?

Send a message via AIM to Insane Drummer
Drums are not inherently loud.

95% of playing drums in worship (or anything for that matter) is knowing when to stop playing all together or quiet down.

If you make a mistake, laugh about it. You are, most likely, the only one who noticed.
And I have been too proud to come in out of the rain
Insane Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
The Chameleon

Send a message via AIM to Shredcheddar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Drummer
If you make a mistake, laugh about it. You are, most likely, the only one who noticed.
Great point. You have to remember that the audience probably knows next to nothing about most of the instruments up there. They most relate to two things: the singer's pitch, and rhythm. Why? They're familiar with both because most people sing in the shower or drum on desks at one time or another.
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:36 AM   #8
Dragon of Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Definitely. I try to have two or three extras. I always. And I mean Always. end up having to lend a pick to our other guitarist.

And the point where you have no extra picks is where you end up losing or breaking the one you have.

more things I've learned:

Get into it. people don't want to be lead by a buch of deadpans.

Know your stuff. a congregation can smell flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants.

Mean your stuff. a congregation can also smell fake.

And my biggest revelation during my years as a music leader:

It's not about you or the congregation. I've always had a hang up with singing while I wasn't at 100%. I've even tried to get out of it if I was at 99% before. It's very easy to sing to God when your health is peak and your voice is good. It takes humility, servitude, and a truly worshipful heart to sing to Him when your sick.
Possible side effects of Chris' presence may include but are not limited to: dry skin, irritability, excessive hair growth, excessive hair loss, death, rash, water retention, nausea, dizziness, de-evolutionary process, general malaise, gingivitis, migraines, demonic possession, giddiness, bad spellllling, levitation, and being unable to have a membership with CGR. Be sure not to operate any heavy machinery for at least 4 hours after visiting CGR while Chris has been present.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 03:45 AM   #9
Hey, I can change this!!!

Quote:
Our projector operator sees and hears EVERYTHING!!!!!
We regularly exchange a grin when I fluff a chord or play an intro too fast & have to slow down.

One problem with learning an instrument is that most people go through a phase of thier playing where it goes from "Look at God" to "look at me". Thankfully if we perservere we go back to "look at God" again!!!

The main advice I can hand on is keep the rythm. fluff a chord? don't stop and say "Doh". keep strumming and carry on. That's what damped strings are for!!!

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
This is in the rules of guitar soloing - If you make a mistake, repeat it.
Unread 06-29-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
You wanna see dry land?

Send a message via AIM to Insane Drummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreid
This is in the rules of guitar soloing - If you make a mistake, repeat it.
I do that on drums as well... If hit something that sounds a little off, I will just repeat it for a few bars, then go back to it later.
And I have been too proud to come in out of the rain
Insane Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #12
rebel without applause

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards
Our projector operator sees and hears EVERYTHING!!!!!
We regularly exchange a grin when I fluff a chord or play an intro too fast & have to slow down.

One problem with learning an instrument is that most people go through a phase of thier playing where it goes from "Look at God" to "look at me". Thankfully if we perservere we go back to "look at God" again!!!

The main advice I can hand on is keep the rythm. fluff a chord? don't stop and say "Doh". keep strumming and carry on. That's what damped strings are for!!!
The drummer and I always exchange glances when we know something didn't go as planned. I don't know if anyone else has picked up on that yet.

Adding more to my list:

Make sure you have a back up plan
. Once my friend had to run to get a 9 volt battery cause the one in my guitar died 10 minutes before service. Now I keep an extra one just in case and another set of strings.

Don't change your routine when it comes to prep. I do the powerpoint for the lyrics. I type up the lyrics at home and then transfer to the church computer via thoses small usb storage devices. Last sunday I coudn't find the one I regularly use so I borrowed my moms. 15 minutes beore service starts we find out the computer can't access the device. We had to photo copy our lead music to transparencies and use an overhead projector. They could see all our messy cause we transcribed the song twice from the notes we put on to it. (ie Louder, softer, no drums, don't forget to smile)
sallyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #13
swEEt!!!

Send a message via AIM to HeavenOnAStick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
I'll add on to this. Along with extra pick, make sure everything else is ready. Straps are in tight, guitar is tuned, drums are set right (don't adjust your cymbal stand in the middle of a song), and stuff like that. Also keep extra cables, batteries, drumsticks, strings, picks, or anything else you need. In short, be prepared.
Unread 07-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
95% of playing drums in worship (or anything for that matter) is knowing when to stop playing all together or quiet down.
Absolutely right. Along with that, adding more instruments and vocalists usually just results in more noise, not better sound or better worship.
pgr181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #15

dont use more than half gain on sunday mornings...

use more gain on wednesday evenings...

no shredding...

always have an acoustic handy
TheBarbarianWay is offline   Reply With Quote