Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Theology
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Geezer
Administrator

paid
Covenant Theology

I may be biting off more than I can chew, but can someone give me a brief run-down on what Covenant Theology is? What exactly does it teach?

Unread 06-16-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
...has no face

I personally like this website: http://www.covenantrenewal.com/covenant.htm

It may be a bit longer than what you're looking for, though. Monergism.com has a wide variety of articles that you could check out.

Now I will celebrate
For all the thousand ways
That you have shown me grace
And made my heart in grace to stay
You make my heart in grace to stay
Lord, make my heart in grace to stay
- Josh Bales
joshaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Gone Golfing

I have been to most of the websites on covenant theology and found them wanting in explanation of covenant theology. Way too complicated for the average person. While having been a member of a PCA church in Orlando for a few years, even then I had difficulty understanding covenant theology. I too have asked this question and have been given websites but feel as though I am in the dark concerning it. If someone could put it in simple terms it would be extremely helpful and even more appreciated.
Unread 06-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
It's not easy being green

Well, I would give a basic run-down (and still will if yall really want), but for whatever reason I plain suck at explaining it, so I'd probably do more harm than good in respect to helping yall understand it.
Unread 06-18-2005, 06:03 AM   #5

from this article, we read:
  • Covenant theology is much more in line with what traditional Protestant views have been. It tends to be amillennial, viewing the Millennium as the present reign of Christ in heaven and, through the Church, on earth. This is the historic Protestant view, in contrast to dispensationalism's pre-millennial (future earthly reign of Christ) stance.

Covenant theology thus does not take Revelation as a checklist of future events but as a prophecy of events occurring at the beginning of or all through Church history. Consequently it does not see Revelation as a record of God’s future dealings with the Jewish people. When dealing with apparently unfulfilled prophecies that speak expressly of Israel—such as those in many of the Old Testament prophets—covenant theologians tend to apply them to the Church, arguing that the Church is the spiritual Israel. This "transfer" of prophecies from ethnic Israel to the Church does not go over well with dispensationalists.

If we may speak of the two systems in their unqualified forms, dispensationalism asserts that God still has future plans for the Jewish people and deduces that the Church is not spiritual Israel; covenant theology asserts that the Church is spiritual Israel and deduces that God has no future plans for the Jews different than his plans for any other people.
i hope that helps. the catholic position, btw, is a blending of both schools of thought.

pax christi,
phatcatholic
phatcatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
It's not easy being green

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcatholic
from this article, we read:
  • Covenant theology is much more in line with what traditional Protestant views have been. It tends to be amillennial, viewing the Millennium as the present reign of Christ in heaven and, through the Church, on earth. This is the historic Protestant view, in contrast to dispensationalism's pre-millennial (future earthly reign of Christ) stance.

Covenant theology thus does not take Revelation as a checklist of future events but as a prophecy of events occurring at the beginning of or all through Church history. Consequently it does not see Revelation as a record of God’s future dealings with the Jewish people. When dealing with apparently unfulfilled prophecies that speak expressly of Israel—such as those in many of the Old Testament prophets—covenant theologians tend to apply them to the Church, arguing that the Church is the spiritual Israel. This "transfer" of prophecies from ethnic Israel to the Church does not go over well with dispensationalists.

If we may speak of the two systems in their unqualified forms, dispensationalism asserts that God still has future plans for the Jewish people and deduces that the Church is not spiritual Israel; covenant theology asserts that the Church is spiritual Israel and deduces that God has no future plans for the Jews different than his plans for any other people.
i hope that helps. the catholic position, btw, is a blending of both schools of thought.

pax christi,
phatcatholic
I think he was more interested in the Covenant theologian's view of the covenants and how they relate to salvation and baptism.
Unread 06-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
Gone Golfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHarbison
I think he was more interested in the Covenant theologian's view of the covenants and how they relate to salvation and baptism.
My difficulty lies in how the Covenant of Grace is considered in the New Covenant. It seems to me that they are viewed as being different.
Unread 06-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
No Condemnation

Ok, I'll try to, very simply give in laymans terms what I consider to be covenant theology.

God is a covenant making, covenant keeping God. All through the bible you will find references to God making covenants with man, it's the way He worked and still works. Every believer in Christ is in covenant relationship with God whether they realise it or not.

After Adam and Eve fell in the Garden (sinned) God made a covenant of grace with them (although it's not specifically stated in the Bible, there are elements of covenant, namely the promise and the sacrifice).

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

This verse speaks of Christ.

Now we know that unless blood is shed there's no remission of sins. Covenant theology is anchored around the sacrifice. It's the blood that makes the covenant sure.

God made a covenant of Grace with Abraham. The Abrahamic covenant was instituted in Genesis 15 (incorporating the promises of Genesis 12v1-3), and then several years later reitereated and amplified to Abraham in Genesis 17.

Abraham was given the promise of the messiah, his faith was counted to him as righteousness(15v6). It was his faith in Christ, not his works which saved him.

Jhn 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw [it], and was glad.

The Ten commandments (the law) was not given as a new covenant which the Israelites had to keep. It was purely given to show people their sin and need of a savior, and give them a moral code. They too were saved by the blood of Jesus, because of their faith. The New covenant as described in Jeremiah is always compared to the Mosaic covenant, not the Abrahamic covenant.

Jer 31:33 - 34 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Eze 36:26, 27 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

Eze 37:26a Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them:

We now look back at the cross, whereas in the old testament, they looked forward to the cross. When we are saved God puts his law in our hearts and causes us to walk in righteousness (he sanctifies us). We have a "new spirit" within us. God joins himself to us in covenant relationship, and whatever we do He will never leave us or forsake us, He will pick us up when we fall.

I could've said more, but I'm trying to keep it brief. David had a good revelation of Gods' covenant of grace (2 Sam 7, psalm 89). In the new testament Jesus makes mention of it a few times (Mat 26:28, Mark 14v24, Luke 22v20).

Hope you get the general idea of covenant theology.
Unread 06-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #9
Gone Golfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0233425
Ok, I'll try to, very simply give in laymans terms what I consider to be covenant theology.

God is a covenant making, covenant keeping God. All through the bible you will find references to God making covenants with man, it's the way He worked and still works. Every believer in Christ is in covenant relationship with God whether they realise it or not.

After Adam and Eve fell in the Garden (sinned) God made a covenant of grace with them (although it's not specifically stated in the Bible, there are elements of covenant, namely the promise and the sacrifice).

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

This verse speaks of Christ.

Now we know that unless blood is shed there's no remission of sins. Covenant theology is anchored around the sacrifice. It's the blood that makes the covenant sure.

God made a covenant of Grace with Abraham. The Abrahamic covenant was instituted in Genesis 15 (incorporating the promises of Genesis 12v1-3), and then several years later reitereated and amplified to Abraham in Genesis 17.

Abraham was given the promise of the messiah, his faith was counted to him as righteousness(15v6). It was his faith in Christ, not his works which saved him.

Jhn 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw [it], and was glad.

The Ten commandments (the law) was not given as a new covenant which the Israelites had to keep. It was purely given to show people their sin and need of a savior, and give them a moral code. They too were saved by the blood of Jesus, because of their faith. The New covenant as described in Jeremiah is always compared to the Mosaic covenant, not the Abrahamic covenant.

Jer 31:33 - 34 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Eze 36:26, 27 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them].

Eze 37:26a Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them:

We now look back at the cross, whereas in the old testament, they looked forward to the cross. When we are saved God puts his law in our hearts and causes us to walk in righteousness (he sanctifies us). We have a "new spirit" within us. God joins himself to us in covenant relationship, and whatever we do He will never leave us or forsake us, He will pick us up when we fall.

I could've said more, but I'm trying to keep it brief. David had a good revelation of Gods' covenant of grace (2 Sam 7, psalm 89). In the new testament Jesus makes mention of it a few times (Mat 26:28, Mark 14v24, Luke 22v20).

Hope you get the general idea of covenant theology.
My understanding of the Covenant of Grace is that it was made between the three persons of the Godhead before the foundation of the world. In it God the Father chose a people to be the objects of His love and gave them to the Son. The Son Covenanted with the Father to redeem them by His blood and do all that was necessary to their salvation. The Spirit covenanted with the Father and the Son to make that redemption effectual to thier hearts and give them faith by the preaching of the Gospel. This was all done before God even began to create.
2Ti 1:9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given us in Christ Jesus before the eternal times.
2Ti 1:10 But it is now having been manifested by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has made death of no effect, bringing life and immortality to light through the gospel;

All the other covenants were simply outworkings of the Everlasting Covenant. If Covenant theology holds that it was made with Adam and Abraham then I see where they get some things.
Unread 06-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
No Condemnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlqurgw
The Son Covenanted with the Father to redeem them by His blood and do all that was necessary to their salvation. The Spirit covenanted with the Father and the Son to make that redemption effectual to thier hearts and give them faith by the preaching of the Gospel. This was all done before God even began to create.
All the other covenants were simply outworkings of the Everlasting Covenant. If Covenant theology holds that it was made with Adam and Abraham then I see where they get some things.
Interesting. I think you're right in that there has only ever been one everlasting covenant, but I'm not too sure about the whole inter-tri-covenant theology. I'm more inclined to believe that the father swore an oath to the Son, and that we are partakers of the oath through Christ the mediator:

Hebrews 6:17-20
Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed [it] by an oath:
That by two immutable things, in which [it was] impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
Which [hope] we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
Whither the forerunner is for us entered, [even] Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

God reveals more about himself through the different dispensations, or 'ministrations' of the same covenant, starting at Adam we hardly know anything about it, we see more with Noah, then Abraham, Moses, David, Jeremiah, and finally Christ. The 'new' covenant in Christ is the final ministration of the covenant of grace. The spiritual relationship which lay at the centre of the covenant of grace disclosed throughout the Old Testament period reaches its apex in the new covenant. It is the ministration of the Spirit as the Spirit of life; it is the ministration of righteousness, and of liberty. Moreover, the new covenant is the dispensation of the forgiveness of sins (Heb 8v12).
Unread 06-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
No Condemnation

Actually, further to my previous post, it is apparent that God the father, finding no greater thing to swear by, has sworn an oath by himself.

Gen 22:16-18 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only [son]:
That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which [is] upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Isa 45:22-25 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else.
I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth [in] righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.
Surely, shall [one] say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: [even] to him shall [men] come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.
In the LORD shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory.