Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Banned

Interesting Gibson story....looks like they are going after wal mart and the like!

Here is an interesting story I read on another forum.....seems that Gibson is now going after the department stores targeting newbie guitar players with $50.00 to $200.00 guitars made in china! They said that fender is now selling newbie guitars in places like cosco. Apparently, they are impressed with the "first act" guitar line and what they have been able to accomplish in the starter guitar market.

Oh, well, I guess this is just another way to screw a small dealer out of a sale...even to a newbie. But hopefully small dealers won't be hurt that much...especially since most usually cater to more expensive guitars.

Problem is, that most of these guitars like "first act" are are complete junk like the "estaban" guitars are. Most are incredibly hard to play (EVEN by somebody who has played for years) and may actually DISCOURAGE a newbie to advance and buy a better guitar because they get frustrated that they can't even make a chord, when the strings are so high off the fretboard.

But it is really all about money anyway...right??

Here is the story:

http://66.45.13.138/index.cfm?sectio...&news_id=42145

webe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-15-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by webe123
Here is an interesting story I read on another forum.....seems that Gibson is now going after the department stores targeting newbie guitar players with $50.00 to $200.00 guitars made in china! They said that fender is now selling newbie guitars in places like cosco. Apparently, they are impressed with the "first act" guitar line and what they have been able to accomplish in the starter guitar market.

Oh, well, I guess this is just another way to screw a small dealer out of a sale...even to a newbie. But hopefully small dealers won't be hurt that much...especially since most usually cater to more expensive guitars.

Problem is, that most of these guitars like "first act" are are complete junk like the "estaban" guitars are. Most are incredibly hard to play (EVEN by somebody who has played for years) and may actually DISCOURAGE a newbie to advance and buy a better guitar because they get frustrated that they can't even make a chord, when the strings are so high off the fretboard.

But it is really all about money anyway...right??

Here is the story:

http://66.45.13.138/index.cfm?sectio...&news_id=42145

Yeah, that kinda pisses me off when i see the First Act guitars. Its just hard for me to see a store that stocks so much good stuff, stock sucky guitars. Fortuneately i dont go to wally world very often, so i dont have to see their guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
since when does wal-mart stock good stuff? cheap stuff yeah...good stuff? i dunno. they generally stock low to mid-end stuff.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
since when does wal-mart stock good stuff? cheap stuff yeah...good stuff? i dunno. they generally stock low to mid-end stuff.

ok, so they dont stock GREAT stuff, but they have some stuff i think is pretty kool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve

I'd have to disagree...they stock Mt. Dew, Doritos, and Keebler cookies.

Unread 06-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
I'd have to disagree...they stock Mt. Dew, Doritos, and Keebler cookies.

this much is true...i was thinking of non-food items mostly.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:03 PM   #7
NOT from concentrate.

Send a message via AIM to kquamme94 Send a message via MSN to kquamme94
I don't see how video games and dvds at Walmart are any poorer quality then another store like best buy and target.....

I get your point though, and yes, it's a deep discount store.
I bought a First Act acoustic that's made for a little kid so I could take it to school. It was even able to fit inside my locker. It was $30 and yea the finished sucks, but it stays in tune and plays decent.
Ibanez RG120
Jasmine S-34c
kquamme94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #8

it was mostly a joke. i don't shop at wal-mart too often because i can't stand the crowds. that being said, i like the fact that a couple FA guitars actually have a semi-unique look to them

I'm a podcaster
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:09 PM   #9
NOT from concentrate.

Send a message via AIM to kquamme94 Send a message via MSN to kquamme94
I just like rebuking you, that's all, heh.
Don't by any means take it personal. I rarely ever shop there, but that's just because the store that I go to is not well kept, so that's my reason to stay away.
Ibanez RG120
Jasmine S-34c
kquamme94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #10

Location: not that im not a trusting guy, but hey this is the internet we're talkin about
i absolutly despise first act guitars...they make be rather angry and want to break something. (thats not unusual though) i think ill buy one just to smash it and see if i can salvage anything usefull.

strat® copy-->Zoom Fire-18M-->w/e cab around
yamaha classical
Hohner Contessa
Rock_4_god_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2005, 09:42 PM   #11
We Will Play FOREVER

I don't fully understand what kind of guitar Gibson plans on putting out at discount stores but...I very rarely go to Walmart [my wife is there right now getting me some "Junior Mints", beef jerky and some of those lifesaver shaped mints ] but the other day I stopped in for a while and on the way out the door I saw a bunch of First Act products. I was kinda amazed. The acoustic guitar I saw looked very nice. One of the electrics was dazzling as well. I stood there and looked [they were all in a box] and I wanted to play them. It is true...all of it. I then walked off and took one more look back. On the end of the wall where the instruments were stocked, they had a small spot where they had strings, capos, tuners and other similiar accessories. It was the most generic looking bunch of stuff I had ever seen but I still wanted to buy something. Hmm...
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #12
thistledown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_4_god_365
i absolutly despise first act guitars...they make be rather angry and want to break something. (thats not unusual though) i think ill buy one just to smash it and see if i can salvage anything usefull.
Then they'll have won the battle and you would have less money. So it would really be quite a redundant thing to do. I'm interested in First Act's custom shop though.
Unread 06-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarfreak217
I'm interested in First Act's custom shop though.
Indeed.. this doesn't look anything like a cheapo Wal-Mart guitar..

http://www.firstact.com/www3/subpages/lola/index.html
metalliquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalliquet
Indeed.. this doesn't look anything like a cheapo Wal-Mart guitar..

http://www.firstact.com/www3/subpages/lola/index.html
If I hadn't of seen it I wouldn't have believed it. Now they are going to custom shop products that cost $1,500?? Man they really want to cover the whole spectrum of guitar making don't they?
webe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #15
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
And they don't sell those at Wal-Mart. First Act sounds like the company that just happened to jump to the occasion with the super cheapo guitars, decreasing their rep in the guitar world, I'm sure.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote