Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #1

Can you go from a bass to a tenor???

I'm a low bass. My singing range is from A1 to A4 in chest voice, and from B4 to E5 in falsetto. Sometimes I can stretch it to an F5 if I try really hard. My speaking voice is really low, usually in the higher 1st octave. I was wondering if it's possible to become a baritone or a tenor from a bass, or can you just increase your range? As a little boy I could sing from C3 to E5 in chest voice, and up to F6 in falsetto. Is there any way to gain this high upper register back? It'd be nice to boast a full 4 octave range.

Jeremy

FKHUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-05-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
thistledown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKHUL
I'm a low bass. My singing range is from A1 to A4 in chest voice, and from B4 to E5 in falsetto. Sometimes I can stretch it to an F5 if I try really hard. My speaking voice is really low, usually in the higher 1st octave. I was wondering if it's possible to become a baritone or a tenor from a bass, or can you just increase your range? As a little boy I could sing from C3 to E5 in chest voice, and up to F6 in falsetto. Is there any way to gain this high upper register back? It'd be nice to boast a full 4 octave range.

Jeremy
Yes, you can. It just takes a lot of training and a really good control of your breathing. Starting voice lessons soon. I wonder how many bad habits are going to need to be stopped...

Oh, just noticed that you said when you were a little boy. Hmmm, I'm not really sure about that.
Unread 06-06-2005, 09:55 AM   #3

I know I won't be able to sing E5 in chest voice anymore like when I was a kid, but I'd like to increase my range to at least C5 in chest voice and A5 in falsetto.

Jeremy
FKHUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
Hey, I can change this!!!

I remember an interview with (i think) Glen Campbell who said that he had raised his useable range by about 2 tones when he was singing with the Beach Boys, but I think that a tone or two is as far as you're likely to go. The idea of jumping from low bass to tenor is just too far without surgically altering your voice box, which would probably be a bad thing.........

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
Banned

yeah, i'm a low bass too, with a range of about an octave and ten half steps in my chest voice, and about 2 more octaves falsetto. only thing is, i joined another choir as a tenor, using mostly falsetto, but nobody knew. they all thought it was chest voice i had to do alot of developing of my falsetto, and i did that by taking voice lessons, doing lots of warm- ups, (mostly octave jumps), and just by using falsetto alot. so now it doesn't sound all girly and it has a lot of edge to it. you could try that. sounds like you already have a pretty good falsetto range anyways. good luck with that, man!
audioafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2005, 02:45 AM   #6
Hey, I can change this!!!

Jimmy Somerville (the communards) made a career of his falsetto

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2005, 03:29 AM   #7
I'm Rick James....

Send a message via MSN to guitarguy Send a message via Yahoo to guitarguy
I don't even know what I am (voice wise). I'm not a bass. Maybe a tenor or soprano? I don't know. I just sing. (if thats what you want to call it).
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
vintage.

If you're a guy, I seriously doubt you're a soprano.

If you're not a bass, you might be a baritone or a tenor.
Sunkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy
I don't even know what I am (voice wise). I'm not a bass. Maybe a tenor or soprano? I don't know. I just sing. (if thats what you want to call it).
if you can go as low as or within 2 halfsteps of low e (lowest guitar string- open) then you are probably a baritone. if you can go 6 to 10 halfsteps lower than that you are a bass. if you can (without straining) go about 8 halfsteps above the first (smallest) guitar string (all i know is it's a c) in your chest voice (i can't) then you're a pretty darn good tenor
audioafan is offline   Reply With Quote