Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-03-2001, 01:33 PM   #1
got milk?

Send a message via AIM to drew
breathing exercises??

i no breathing is really important and i just started voice lessons and i've now learned how to breathe right when i sing (which helps a ton!). what are some exercises that i can do to help my breathing? i've heard it really helps the quality of your voice and your range. thanks!

(a proud owner of a CB&T hat!)
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-08-2001, 10:46 PM   #2
Nosed Reindeer

some things I've done in choirs, vocal ensembles, etc. are:

take a big breath and see how long you can sing one pitch, also do the same thing only make a hissing sound...

ummm.....

can't think of anymore...
Unread 11-20-2001, 11:51 PM   #3
Whats invading your soul?

Send a message via AIM to yjacket2000 Send a message via Yahoo to yjacket2000
I'm a music education major at Cedarville University, so let's put some of what I've learned into practice. :-)

First, you've probably heard the term "breathe from your diaphram," as if one could control their diaphram...you can't. It's not a very good phrase to use. The diaphram is simply an elastic band that stretches around and under the bottom portion of the lungs. When you inhale, it expands the 'elastic,' and exhaling is not inhaling anymore, but simply relaxing, and letting the 'elastic' do what it does best, go back to it's normal state, thus pushing the CO2 out of your lungs. Inhaling is involuntary...you're brain does it without you having to be aware of it, but exhaling is neither voluntary or involuntary...it just happens. Like I said before, you can't control the diaphram; the brain has no control over it...it's just there. Now that that misconception is cleared up.......

Normally, when people mean 'breathing from your diaphram,' they simply mean to breathe so that it's your stomach that goes out, and not your shoulders that go up...they suggest that you try laying on a floor and setting a book on your stomach and making the book go up and down. While this isn't all bad, I believe that you aren't using the full potential of the air you have. I'm proposing that I can show you a way to inhale more air than you think you can....here we go.

First, during all inhalation, make your mouth so it's like you're inhaling through a straw, and stand. This entire exercise is relaxed...no raising of the shoulders at any time...just relax!!!

Next, imagine breathing in the air that is all around your stomach...this is much like the "raising the book" drill, but you're standing. Just go as 'low' as you can, making your stomach push outward. Exhale. Do that a few times.

Now, imagine there being a section of air that is above your stomach and below your chest...we'll call it the middle section. So, breathe in all of the 'low' air, pause without exhaling, and then continue breathing in the 'middle' air. There was more air to breathe in, wasn't there! Do this a few times.

That's not all. Now, imagine a 'top' section...your chest area. This time, breathe in all your 'low' air, pause, breathe in all your 'middle' air, pause again, and finally, breathe in the 'top' air. There was more air yet!

The idea is to use your full lung capacity while staying relaxed. You will eventually want to make it one fluid motion, as opposed to three seprate inhalations. Keep practicing this, and you will eventually have an enormous amount of air at your disposal!

I hope this was informative and helpful. This should give you at least twice the amount of air you thought you had! If you have questions or don't understand, just let me know. Best wishes!
Matt. 5:13-16

"Invade my soul...I'm coming back to You!" -By The Tree
yjacket2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2001, 11:59 PM   #4
Spirit Filled

Hee hee hoooo. Hee hee hoooo...

Wait, that's when you're having a baby...nevermind.

Good luck!
studentofGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2001, 02:45 PM   #5
Nosed Reindeer

ah, I'm light-headed....

« colds | projection »