Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #1

Talking Takamine...

Okay y'all,

I'm planning on getting an acoustic-electric soon. My question is...Do any of you own a Takamine acoustic-electric? If not...then a written opinion of that guitar "brand" is not going to help me in my decision and won't be payed much attention to.

However, for those of you who do own one, what do you think of it and what kind do you own?

Thanks...

jmr1068204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr1068204
Okay y'all,

I'm planning on getting an acoustic-electric soon. My question is...Do any of you own a Takamine acoustic-electric? If not...then a written opinion of that guitar "brand" is not going to help me in my decision and won't be payed much attention to.

However, for those of you who do own one, what do you think of it and what kind do you own?
I'll play by the rules. I have an EF349 which is all mahogany - beautiful to look at and very nice sounding. The EF models are a step up from the EG models, with a better finish and electronics. I would definitely take a look at the smaller bodied AE's if I was to get another one. It is my main AE, but I am more focused on electric in recent years.

I think that Takamine has been out-marketed by Taylor and other good manufacturers even though they still make very nice instruments. I don't think you would go wrong. Let your ears and hands guide you and not the marketing or the hype.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
rockerclb

yeah i have and EG560 that i got 3 months old on ebay for 300 which was a steal considering it retails at 700
rockerclb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
We Will Play FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr1068204
Okay y'all,
Thanks...
I have owned a number of Takamine acoustics. The first one I bought was the EG-334RC which is a full dreadnaught which happened to have red stain finish, binding all over and abalone inlay. It came with the NB4 preamp which was pretty basic. I ended up putting an Accuracoustic preamp in it and my feedback issues were far less and the guitar sounded better. Unplugged it was a nice sounding guitar but it really shined when plugged in. I also owned a EG-332 blonde full body dreadnaught which did not have built in electronics but did have a bound neck and body. I ended up putting a cheap pickup and preamp in it but it never sounded too good due to the quality of the preamp and pup. Unplugged this guitar was louder than the EG-334RC but I was never overly happy with the sound as it was a little hollow. I bought a full dreadnaught blonde EG-335 12 string which had previously had a non-factory passive pup put into it. Unplugged the guitar was unmatched in sound quality. Very warm but the highs sang beautifully. Plugged in was another story and I ended up parting with it...it did stay in the family as I sold it to my dad and he still has it to this day and that was years ago. I also had a blond full dreadnaught EF-400 12 string which was quite beautiful. Neck was bound as well as the body. It never sounded as good as the EG-335 but it did have built in factory electronics which was the older [but still interchangeable with the modern preamp shape] preamp. It was called the Parametric and it had some frequency adjustments but it paled when compared to the Accuracoustic preamp. I liked it but being the lunatic I am...I got rid of it too. I currently have the EF-341SC which is an all black six string with a factory Graph-EX preamp. It is a Cedar Top and not real loud unplugged. Plug it in and it is superb. It has a deeper tone than most of the others but it is very warm and to my liking. It is a beautiful guitar with binding everywhere and a beautiful unique looking fretboard and snowflake inlays. I rarely play it because I prefer my Chet Atkins SST but I have no plans to part with it. I think that is about it...I wish you well finding the right guitar for you.
Unread 04-24-2005, 01:11 PM   #5

I have a Takamine EG531C. It's a good budget guitar and sounds really good plugged up. I don't play it much anymore since I now have a Taylor. Takamines are good guittars though.
Russell_L-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2005, 12:12 AM   #6
I play Guitar...

My youth pastor has one that i've played a good bit, and i've played around with them in various guitar stores. Personally I have yet to play one (in any price range) that impresses me at all. I think there are much better deals out there.
Unread 04-25-2005, 01:05 PM   #7

Takamine makes really good guitars, I own a EG568 It's real thin, and has a great sound too. It was my first beginners guitar, and I love it! I highly reccomend them. I think you can't go wrong with them for the price.
guitarvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #8

I worked a lot with Takamine Guitars earlier. I can say that they are some of the best "Laminated" guitars around. I personally think that they are still riding on their fame back from the 80's, as they were "The" electric/acoustic back then. I also think that there are better guitars available nowadays for the same price or under of that you would pay for a Japanese Takamine. But it all comes down to what you are looking for in a instrument. My favorite Tak was a EF341C (Bruce Stringsteen model)
Unread 04-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
NOT from concentrate.

Send a message via AIM to kquamme94 Send a message via MSN to kquamme94
I own a Takamine EG560-CBS and I really like mine. They play well for the price and are a great instrument.
Ibanez RG120
Jasmine S-34c
kquamme94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2005, 10:32 AM   #10
so squishy!

Send a message via AIM to SqshdPanda
I've got a EAN-40C. It sounds really good, but you have to be careful with a cedar top. I love the interchangable preamps!
Personally, I don't think that the cheaper models are worth getting. Once you get into high-hundred price range, then the guitars sound pretty good. I actually prefer the better Takamine's to Taylors since the Takamine's have better bass.

Happy hunting!
SqshdPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
Servant

Mine is a mid 90's PSF40 (back in the day it was the top of the line Takamine) with rosewood back & sides and cedar top. I have yet to find anything in the same price range that comes close to it. I can't speak much to the lower line Taks, but IMHO their high-end models are very good values compared to some of the other big name brands.
Unread 04-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #12
Guitar curmudgeon

I have an EG523SC-12 (yep it's a 12 string)and I am very impressed with everything about it. The construction features and quality are first rate, and it is a solid (non lam) construction with solid maple back and sides. Solid spruce soundboard and lots of beautiful pearl and abalone inlays on the fretboard. It sings beautifully in the upper register and had a very nice bass response too. It feels "live" in my hands.

• I owe everything to Jesus
  • my role as husband and father is the most important one of my life
  • We all play for an audience of one.
Tom Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2005, 01:39 AM   #13
hillsong Freak

Heard of Takamine pre-amp accoustic "cool tube"?
it rox.
seriously, i played takamine, i dunno which model, a cheap one-around 200usd
it impressed me alot. Recently, my friend installed cool tube to his takmine, it provide a very warm n nice creamy sound

my msn : sskl@hotmail.com
my blog : <a href="http://sskl.blogspot.com">here</a>
my friend blog (J.W4CHRIST): <a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1342527#post1342527">here</a>
hillsong tabs thread : <a href="http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72357">here</a>
sskl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2005, 11:35 PM   #14
I need a gig!

I have a takamine ean76 and it plays like butter. The only thing I don't like is it sounds thin on stage and needs a bit of eq to bring up the bottom and fatten it up. Very easy guitar to play and has a very even bright sound to it.
cloakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #15

I like tak's, i have a high end an 16 solid wood purely accoustic model.
best guitar i ever played.
The crafter range has some nice cheaper electro/ accoustic models too.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for really , like everything else in life.
monkonamoped is offline   Reply With Quote

« NGD! | NG?B?D »