Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2005, 02:13 PM   #1

Solid Top

I was just wondering, what qualifies a guitar as a solid top? I always assumed that meant the top was one piece of wood, but I've been noticing supposedly "solid top" guitars that are obviously two pieces. So is my definition wrong, or is there some false advertising going on?

Mosher-Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
im fairly certain solid top should be a single peice of wood, atleast thats the way it was explained to me, and that any layering of the wood would be lamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #3

Most solid tops on even expensive guitars are two piece, jut 'cause most species of lumber don't come wide enuf to do it in one piece. Usually they are bookmatched; from the same slab. I think you would have a hard time finding an acoustic guitar with a one-piece top.

Solid just means it ain't plywood. Or "laminate" as the marketing guys would call it.
Unread 04-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
Solid just means it ain't plywood. Or "laminate" as the marketing guys would call it.
actually Tom, from what I've seen plywood and laminate are fundamentally different. plywood layers the wood vertically, but laminates layer horizontally. a laminate is what you would get if you took two 2x4s and glued them together to make a 4x4 s(ide by side four wide and four high), whereas a plywood would be taking those 2x4s and gluing them together to make a thicker 2x4. in the little construction i've done i've found that plywoods tend to handle heat stress alot better than laminates because laminates crack at the seams easier.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 11:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve
actually Tom, from what I've seen plywood and laminate are fundamentally different. plywood layers the wood vertically, but laminates layer horizontally. a laminate is what you would get if you took two 2x4s and glued them together to make a 4x4 s(ide by side four wide and four high), whereas a plywood would be taking those 2x4s and gluing them together to make a thicker 2x4. in the little construction i've done i've found that plywoods tend to handle heat stress alot better than laminates because laminates crack at the seams easier.
Well, plywood is layers of wood laminated together, therefore it is a laminate - a pretty vague term. A Les Paul could also be called a laminate, since it has a maple cap laminated onto a mahogany body. A neck made from 3 pieces of maple could be called a laminate. If a mfr. listed the top on an acoustic guitar as being a "laminate" it could certainly be either way - but the non-solid tops I have seen are plywood to me, the grain of each alternating layer being oriented at 90 degrees. Usually they just call it a "spruce top" if its made of spruce plywood, but I have seen them referred to as "laminate" tops. In the woodworking industry, as I remember (been a few years), whenever lumber is joined in width to make a wider piece, I don't think its referred to as laminate, ( I think there is a term for that, can't remember...) since most species aren't available in very wide boards and have to be joined together for wide pieces, like acoustic guitar tops. As I remember, laminate usually refers to something glued together in thin layers. But then I could be wrong...
Unread 04-20-2005, 11:27 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
hmm...all i know is how i described it is how they are labeled at the home depot.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #7

Ooohhhhh, now I get it! Thanks.
Mosher-Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote