Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #1

Carnigenic Instrument Cables?

I work at a music store, and our most recent shipment of Fender Electro-Volt cables had a slightly disturbing warning on it: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

Does anyone know anything about this? What are the chemicals? Are they in all instrument cables or just these ones?

Mosher-Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Eaten by a grue

What?! Aren't cables just some copper, connetors and some rubber or tweed covering? How could they be dangerous?
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to tht00 Send a message via Yahoo to tht00
all cables have a bit of solder connecting the cable to the jack.

solder always contains these warnings, although the risks are miniscule.

don't worry about the warnings.
Unread 04-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by niangelo
What?! Aren't cables just some copper, connetors and some rubber or tweed covering? How could they be dangerous?
That's what I was wondering. I'm guessing that it has to do with the covering they use. I hope it's just these cables that have this problem.
Unread 04-18-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Very nice!

paid
Send a message via AIM to Brent
It's called covering their tail-end's in the million to one chance someone got sick who had recently handled a guitar cable and their lawyer had the idea to see if there was a warning label because it contained solder... People will look for ANY reason to file a lawsuit and Fender is only covering their "assets", so to speak. A lot of products have that warning label if you take the time to read them. Most paint strippers say the same thing on them.
You're an immigrant, too!
Who's using who?
What should we do?
Well, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too!

The White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to tht00 Send a message via Yahoo to tht00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosher-Bryan
That's what I was wondering. I'm guessing that it has to do with the covering they use. I hope it's just these cables that have this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
It's called covering their tail-end's in the million to one chance someone got sick who had recently handled a guitar cable and their lawyer had the idea to see if there was a warning label because it contained solder... People will look for ANY reason to file a lawsuit and Fender is only covering their "assets", so to speak. A lot of products have that warning label if you take the time to read them. Most paint strippers say the same thing on them.
there really is no danger. warnings like these are simply to prevent lawsuits. you could probably eat the amount of solder found in the connections of the cable and have no ill effects, and the average person doesn't even come into contact with the solder at all.

there wouldn't be anything harmful found in the rest of the cable that i could think of... solder would be the most "dangerous", and many, many, many people work with it daily.

so, all cables have this "danger". just don't open it up and lick the soldered connections daily, and you'll be OK.
Unread 04-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
Pearl plays her guitar

Wash your hands! After all, doesn't the Bible say it's what goes into a man that defiles him as opposed to what comes out of his mouth?

But, if you're inclined to believe this garbage, use George L's. They are solderless and you can make your own connections that don't require any solder.

Personally, I think the problem is more the State of CA with help from the personal injury attorney industry (aka ambulance chasers). From what I understand, CA laws are one of the primary reasons most finishes on guitars are polyurethane rather than nitrocellulose. I much prefer the nitro finishes compared to the polyurethane.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #8

Just like the little packs of silica dessicant that come in the box with electronic equipment - do not eat your cables.
Unread 04-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #9

What you are looking at is a warning required by Proposition 65. It is unique to the Peoples Republic of California. If you are concerned about the warning, you can type in Proposition 65 in your search bar. That will bring you to sites related to Proposition 65.

The warnings are required in CA and also require CA business that do interstate business to post the warnings on their products. There is an extensive list of substances that are on CA's list. The list is supposed to include all substances known to the state of California to contain toxic substances, highly toxic substances, or reproductive toxins. Prop 65 requires the "exposing entity" to clearly warn you that you you are being exposed, and also tell you what steps you can take to protect yourself from exposure (hence the wash your hands part).

Unfortunately, the regulation was written by politicians who are too ignorant to undestand details like exposure levels, so the mere presence of any substance on the list triggers the warning in a place as lawsuit crazy as California. It is highly likely that any metal in your guitar cable contains elements on the list. Again, depending on the shielding material, there could be something there as well. You can view the list at any one of several websites.

As far as advice just dismissing the warning, that may or may not be an appropriate recommendation. I'm sure the folks who tell you to ignore the warning took time to research what substances triggered the warning, what exposure levels you may be experiencing, and base their recommendation on facts rather than opinion.

If you live in CA you'll see those warnings all over everything. Proposition 65 is also know as the "Guaranteed Employment for Lawyers Act". Another gem from the Democrats.

I hope this eases your concerns, or at least gives you enough information to research what you are being exposed to.
Unread 04-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Wash your hands! After all, doesn't the Bible say it's what goes into a man that defiles him as opposed to what comes out of his mouth?
You got this backwards, but its probably just lead in the solder, or the possibility of lead being in the solder.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2005, 10:22 PM   #11

So I just have to remember not to peel back the cover and eat the solder? ok, I think I can handle that.
Unread 04-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #12
Pearl plays her guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
You got this backwards, but its probably just lead in the solder, or the possibility of lead being in the solder.
Tongue in cheek. See the wink?
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 07:25 AM   #13

ROFL, thats to the state of California. Its amazing some of the junk science they have used to install some of those lables. Often testing rats with exposure rates of thousands of time more than what you or I would ever be exposed to. Also they never tell you what kind of cancer it could cause. If what is on your cables causes kidney cancer when present in tabacco smoke, who cares if it is on your strings. So as said before, just wash your hands and you will be fine.
Bodies To Die For
Speaker from Heaven
Drew Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #14
Good Grief!!!

How come I always read threads like this after I've been chewing on a bunch of guitar cables?

Nate
Unread 04-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #15
Eaten by a grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate95366
How come I always read threads like this after I've been chewing on a bunch of guitar cables?

Nate
That's why Jesus would use a 5-10 watt tube combo. Then Jesus can get that nice breakup He likes at a manageable volume. A volume that is somewhat formal but still says I'm here to party. Much like tuxedo t-shirt Jesus.
"If all experienced God in the same way and returned Him an identical worship, the song of the Church triumphant would have no symphony, it would be like an orchestra in which all the instruments played the same note." - C.S. Lewis
niangelo is offline   Reply With Quote