Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Does Christianity Need a Steve Vai, or a Satch.. (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t99935/)

Leviathon 04-08-2005 09:35 AM

Does Christianity Need a Steve Vai, or a Satch..

This past Wednesday night Jay42 and I had the opportunity to see Steve Vai and Co... The concert was great... A tad on the loud side... But the earplugs certainly helped... If you get a chance to see Vai and Co, GO... It's one thing to listen to the music but to see it played live is really cool...

Anyways..

I got to thinkin... Does Christianity need a Steve Vai, Satriani, MacAlpine... etc...? All the great guitarists of today are non believers (or at least from my understanding they are not). Christianity has replicated mainstream secularism in just about all aspects... But nothing along the lines of instrumental guitar rock... Now I will somewhat correct myself. Marc Seal is a professed Christian... But he is not "Mainstream". I think very few know who Marc is... His albumns are Christian.. But you don't see them at the bookstore, or at least I never have...

What brought this about was as great as the concert was on Wed... I was think how cool would it have been to be able to go see someone in a venue that didn't have the smell of Pot, Beer, Cigarettes and all the other stuff that people think that they have to do at a concert.... The music doesn't even have to strictly instrumental, why not a Christian Dream Theater or Pink Floyd... I was recently at the Mercy Me Concert with Jeremy Camp.. Great concert. Great music and musicianship... But really no screaming guitars...

Just something to think about..

Gecko of Doom 04-08-2005 09:43 AM

I think it would be really cool to have a Christian rock guitar soloist.

Sinker 04-08-2005 11:03 AM

I am not in a position to comment on what Christianity does or does not need.

However there are some seriously great Christian musicians out there, they just might not be getting a lot of air play. One great example is Neil Morse. If you like progressive rock, check out his epic 'One.'

airsoft101 04-08-2005 11:17 AM

I think it could use an Eric Clapton or to so non-christians would listen to it at first for the music. Christian music nowadays, I think, is quite drab. no solos(of any worth at least), no amazing guitarists or drummers, all very similar tunes,There arn't many christian songs with really catchy lyrics or just really cool breaks or anything. It could use some innovation.

Sinker 04-08-2005 11:24 AM

www.christianmusicianradio.com is a good source of some top-notched stuff you won't hear on the radio.

thesteve 04-08-2005 11:47 AM

i don't think it's a matter of Christianity needing it or not...it's whether or not the market wants it. when you think about it, the virtuoso players make up a small niche of a much larger market. since the Christian market is smaller their niche of virtuosos is even smaller.
it's not a matter of them beign there or not...it's a matter of who wants them.

guitarzan21 04-08-2005 12:26 PM

If you are looking up to them for their abilities and only their abilities what difference does it make if they are christian? Don't get me wrong, to have a christian guitarist who could play like Steve Vai or Satriani and play small venues such as churches would be great!!! But this is where I agree with the previous post, is there a need for this in the christian market if there is already great guitar players out there.

thesteve 04-08-2005 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarzan21
If you are looking up to them for their abilities and only their abilities what difference does it make if they are christian? Don't get me wrong, to have a christian guitarist who could play like Steve Vai or Satriani and play small venues such as churches would be great!!! But this is where I agree with the previous post, is there a need for this in the christian market if there is already great guitar players out there.

that wasn't really what i was getting at...but it works too. haha.

I'm sure there's a few Christians who are also guitarists who can paly like Vai, Satch, etc. Here's the deal though...those guys all came up in the same genre and era. For an outsider to forge himself a name in an already established genre is a very difficult thing.
but seriously, i'm sure in churches all across the states there's guitarists who drive their worship leaders crazy playing Vai's and Petrucci's riffs during breaks in practice. None of them are prominent though...and honestly, i don't see what good having a Christian shredder would do...maybe i'm not thinking progressively enough this morning for it.

sevens 04-08-2005 01:01 PM

It amazes me that so few have ever heard Mike Roe's guitar work on The 77's extensive collection of albums.......he is one of the greatest guitar players ever and he is a Christian. Check out The 77's Drowning With Land In Sight or Tom Tom Blues or Eighty Eight.....some great screaming guitar, not Steve Vai style but awesome guitar that is not seen nowadays in CCM.

Mike's style is along the ways of Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and David Gilmour......one of his solo albums "Daydream" is an all guitar instrumental.....awesome stuff!!!

check them out sometime...........

The 77's website

Jay42 04-08-2005 03:15 PM

Haha! Great thread!

I am still trying to wash the smoke smell out of my garments. The beer and pot smells weren't as bad as the smoke. :)

Ummm, yeah, I think Vai represents the pinnacle of studying the guitar, and since I believe all Christian artists should pursue EXCELLENCE at what they do, this would include being the next great player.

I think so many of these people are over 40 now and kind of past their prime. We need some NEW upcoming guitar greats, and if they are Christian it would be all the better!!!!!!!!

Mattlock 04-08-2005 03:29 PM

No, Christianity doesn't any *insert name of secular band/artist here*.

guitarzan21 04-08-2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve
that wasn't really what i was getting at...but it works too. haha.

oops....

Gecko of Doom 04-08-2005 03:42 PM

Then the question would be: what does Christian music need? I'm sure many would agree that it's missing something.

thesteve 04-08-2005 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gecko of Doom
Then the question would be: what does Christian music need? I'm sure many would agree that it's missing something.

I think Christian music needs to be honest and fun. the problem I see in the industry (generally) today is that it seems like a majority of listeners want to live vicariously through their music. People listen to music because they identify with it...and naturally people are more sympathetic to strong emotions that they have in common. unfortunately the oft strong emotions of today seem to be anger, frustration and sadness...and this is reflected in music.
one trend i'd like to see more of is positive music without being super cheesy. part of this bias is simply because it's where i see my band moving towards in our lyrics and such, but also because happiness, joy and excitement are all strong emotions that people have too. i want to hear some songs that get me pumped on positive energies (now i just sound like a hippie)

Sinker 04-08-2005 04:34 PM

Does your church softball team need a Derrick Jeter?