Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Secular Music (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f272/)
-   -   What I've been listening to (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t96767/)

bread man 02-26-2005 01:50 AM

What I've been listening to

Ok, here's an idea for a thread. We have some sorta like it but not really. Basically just post stuff you've been digging recently and make comments or reccomendations based on other people's posts.

I've been digging Emperor and Candlemass today, as well as Sigur Ros. I also listened to Stories From The City... by PJ Harvey when I got up.

Scott 02-26-2005 01:53 AM

I'm actually developing a taste for Belle & Seb "Dear Catastrophe Waitress". I wrote it off a bit when it just came out, but Lori keeps playing it and it's growing on me.

Skeeter 02-26-2005 03:57 AM

I've been listening to Fractal Pattern, whose show I saw on Thursday. Very cool math-rock with a french horn to go with the guitars. Neat. I briefly stuck in the soundtrack to Spider-Man 2 for a couple songs today as well. Other than that, I've been listening to myself experiment with Cool Edit Pro by beating on my guitar to get nifty djembe sounds.

guitarfreak217 02-26-2005 04:05 AM

I've been enjoying the new Queens of the Stone Age single (Little Sister). Also, Sondre Lerche and a buttload of Fleetwood Mac. And I was made happy because my uncle bought the Live Aid dvd for my dad for his birthday and I enjoy it greatly, maybe more than my dad will since he hasn't had a chance to watch it yet.

bread man 02-26-2005 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott
I'm actually developing a taste for Belle & Seb "Dear Catastrophe Waitress". I wrote it off a bit when it just came out, but Lori keeps playing it and it's growing on me.

Nice Belle and Sebastian are excellent.

I'm really liking Ephel Duath and Shpongle now.

anathema 02-26-2005 07:08 AM

It sounds odd, but I recently picked up all 17 NIN halos (releases) plus thier newest live DVD (and all that could have been) and am blown away. While I dabbled here and there over the last 10 years, I can honestly say I have been missing out big time not getting fully into them.

The fragile is such an amazing CD.

They have quickly become my number 2 most liked band.

I have also been listening to the new Stavesacre EP 'bull takes fighter'. They just happen to by my favorite band.

WeAreTheLazer 02-26-2005 08:25 AM

I have been listening to large doses of black metal and screamo(not the Thursday kind), as far as individual bands go;

Black Metal;
Burzum - The early trOO stuff as well as his more recent hippe ambient stuff.
Darkthrone - Never has bad production sounded so good.
Anaal Nathrakh - The loudest Black Metal band I've ever heard.
Tvangeste - More in the symphonic vein, the vocalist has a very gravely voice.

Screamo;
City Of Caterpillar - Simply beautiful, would almost put you to sleep if it werent so chaotic.
Majority Rule - More people need to hear this band.
Orchid - Pure chaos. Stunning.
Sailboats - Need to record a CD.
Pg 99 - This is more in the ugly vein, but still very appealing for some reason.

Other;
Sterling - Addicting. Try it for yourself: http://www.epitonic.com/artists/sterling.html
The Perishers - Another band in the Radiohead/Coldplay/Keane vein. Very catchy.
Set Fire To Flames - Ambeint violins/noise.
Sunn 0)) - Downtune thier guitars to Z and play Droney, heavy noise. Kind of like an areoplane flying over.

Mattlock 02-26-2005 08:45 AM

Jimmy Eat World, Radiohead, and Something Corporate. But the good SC stuff, not the crappy pop-punk stuff they put out. Which is only 2 or 3 songs.

Laceratus 02-26-2005 11:00 AM

I'm still stuck on APC. "Passive" is playing nonstop in my stereo these days...I really love that song. "Imagine" is probably my favorite cover, they pulled that off beautifully.

Kenny C. 02-26-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattlock
But the good SC stuff, not the crappy pop-punk stuff they put out. Which is only 2 or 3 songs.

Dude, "Konstantine" is an awesome song.
-Kenny

bread man 02-26-2005 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeAreTheLazer
I have been listening to large doses of black metal and screamo(not the Thursday kind), as far as individual bands go;

Black Metal;
Burzum - The early trOO stuff as well as his more recent hippe ambient stuff.
Darkthrone - Never has bad production sounded so good.
Anaal Nathrakh - The loudest Black Metal band I've ever heard.
Tvangeste - More in the symphonic vein, the vocalist has a very gravely voice.

Screamo;
City Of Caterpillar - Simply beautiful, would almost put you to sleep if it werent so chaotic.
Majority Rule - More people need to hear this band.
Orchid - Pure chaos. Stunning.
Sailboats - Need to record a CD.
Pg 99 - This is more in the ugly vein, but still very appealing for some reason.

Other;
Sterling - Addicting. Try it for yourself: http://www.epitonic.com/artists/sterling.html
The Perishers - Another band in the Radiohead/Coldplay/Keane vein. Very catchy.
Set Fire To Flames - Ambeint violins/noise.
Sunn 0)) - Downtune thier guitars to Z and play Droney, heavy noise. Kind of like an areoplane flying over.

You are seriously the best person ever. I have a couple of black metal Burzum songs on my computer and they're cool. The only thing that annoys me is that Varg's voice is stupid. He sounds like a bat. Anaal Nathrakh are an awesome band as well, the first black metal band that I have loved.

I've been listening to Sean Malone bands this morning, Cynic and Gordian Knot mainly. I also checked out Aborted. Fantastic band.

Kori 02-26-2005 08:44 PM

Lately I've been listening to alot from bands like The Faint, Queens of the Stone Age, Alice in Chains and Faith No More. I don't hear much talk about The Faint anywhere... they're really an awesome band. Is anybody hear into them? Kind of industrial/electronic rock.

bread man 02-26-2005 09:24 PM

Yeah The Faint are cool.

I'm liking Brian Eno's "Ambient 1: Music For Airports" right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny C.
Dude, "Konstantine" is an awesome song.

Yeah that song pwns. That and "I Want To Save You" are the best SC songs.

Mattlock 02-27-2005 07:53 AM

Konstantine is a beautiful song. They have 2 more that I like...

I've been listening to the Honorary Title and the Format a lot.

DreamChaser 02-27-2005 08:18 AM

Heya,

Mew - She Came Home For Christmas

I've been listening to that repeatedly during the last week.