Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Vocals & Other Instruments (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f471/)
-   -   Singing tips (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t94431/)

Longhorn26 01-27-2005 05:24 PM

Singing tips

Hey I do worship for my church sometimes, mostly without a mic, so I am not used to it. I would greatly appreciate any singing tips that anyone has for not distracting people by being startled by your own voice in a mic. Thanks.

sliver12 01-27-2005 05:32 PM

The best advice I can give is to practice using the mic with whatever sound system you can. It's the only way you'll get accustomed to hearing your own voice coming back at you. After you get used to it, you'll someday wonder how you went without before.

-Sliver12

Decency 01-27-2005 10:03 PM

Shew! Tough question. I've sang with a microphone in my hand all of my life. Um, well, practice singing with a mic but not having it plugged in. I do this all the time. It also helps you get used to how you hold a mic and singing with it. Having your own voice come back at you only helps you out.

Jbkrems 01-27-2005 11:11 PM

I think the issue is actually hearing your voice through the monitor speaker on the platform, not holding the mic actually.

I think the best way is to try the mic out with the sound system, as suggested, but at first don't turn it way up. Just get it right, and you'll get used to it. It may sound funny at first, but later it won't be.

Hope that helps- Jonathan

nate95366 01-28-2005 09:02 AM

If your voice is too loud in the monitor, see if it's okay with the other folks up there that the monitor techs turn it down in the monitor mix. The only problem someone might have with this is if they're trying to harmonize with you (and they can't hear you).

Over time, you'll probably ask for this less and less as you get used to having a monitor.

As far as tips for singing with a microphone, the best singers with microphones don't think too much about it. You'll notice, though, that they pull the mic (or their head) back when they're going up really high, and that most of the rest of the time, they keep an even distance between lips and mic, usually between 2-4 inches (a bit less than the width of your hand).

Nate

Longhorn26 01-28-2005 05:26 PM

sweet! thanks for all the help! now if i could just get a mic to practice with at home . . . :D My problem is definitely not holding it b/c i play guitar too all of the advice was great and more would still be appreciated!
-Longhorn26

Jbkrems 01-28-2005 11:32 PM

There are cheap mics available. You can look them up on the Internet. I saw one at like $99 plus shipping, if that's reasonable for you.

Longhorn26 01-28-2005 11:40 PM

Ha! maybe the $25 cruddy Radio Shack model is the one for me!!! i'm on a tight budget right now. . . ie no job. thanks though

Jbkrems 01-29-2005 01:33 AM

Well, you really need to practice with the mic you would use at church. Its just like driving. You need to practice with the car you will use after you get your license, so you will be comfortable driving it. Mics are similar. I am considering getting my own mic to sub in at church (we are allowed to do that), and it will take some getting used to. That is why most sound stores (i.e. Guitar Center and other music technology stores) allow their patrons to "test-drive" out mics before they buy them. Also, have you considered having the church purchase it for you? Hope that helps- Jonathan

thud 01-29-2005 06:16 AM

It's all about getting used to hearing yourself - you just have to keep doing it. Try to keep good singing technique - the mic is probably making you hold back and not sing from your diapragm if you are distracted.

The best technique for singing the right distance from the mic while playing guitar I've found is to get a foam cover for the mic head and keep lip contact with it (keeps you away from other people's spit too). This is a little closer than ideal, but better too close than too far, and the sound guys will appreciate you keeping an even distance. Point the mic at the back of your throat, not up your nose.

When you get used to hearing yourself you'll probably enjoy it more than anyone else and want your glorious voice cranked way up in the monitor. In a normal small venue, the louder you are in the monitor, the muddier the sound of your voice off the stage - the crowd hears mostly your monitor bouncing off the back wall. The monitor should be loud enough that you don't feel like you have to scream and blow out your voice. But the concept is that the louder your voice is in the monitor, the worse it sounds to the crowd.

How long before the thread-moving nazis get this one?

Longhorn26 01-29-2005 11:38 AM

Where would it get moved to?

Tony 01-29-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn26
Where would it get moved to?

Gear, most likely.

But the reason I've let it stay so far is the question had to do with a comfort level in holding a mic and hearing one's voice while leading worship. The line may be blurry, but for now, we'll leave the thread here.

Maybe later I'll feel more Nazi-ish...

georgeo 01-29-2005 06:48 PM

We could send it to some random forum, just for kicks, and not leave a redirect. That would be fun.
:shifty:

Longhorn26 01-29-2005 06:50 PM

NOOOOO! please don't resign my humble thread to oblivion!!!

georgeo 01-29-2005 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thud
How long before the thread-moving nazis get this one?

That's Mr. Thread-Moving Nazi to you.