Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Theology (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f456/)
-   -   1 Corinthians 10:13 (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t91894/)

3e3c3e 12-29-2004 11:58 AM

1 Corinthians 10:13

Recently I have received several cards (due to some hardships in my family) from people with the following quote (or something like it):
"God never gives us more than we can handle"

And they always reference 1 Corinthians 10:13:
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Aren't they reading more into this passage then they should? God promises to not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can handle, but isn't it just limited to temptation? Don't we come across situations where we can't handle it, and fully depend on the Lord? So when we are weak, He is strong and when we overcome the situation all praise is due to Him.

I would appreciate others thoughts on this passage.

~3e3c3e

twin2006 12-29-2004 12:12 PM

i think trials can be a sort of temptation... a test where our strength lies where we run to when we have problems. It isnt really possible that God could give you larger trials than you with Gods help couldnt handle because obviously God can handle everything. :-/

3e3c3e 12-29-2004 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twin2006
i think trials can be a sort of temptation... a test where our strength lies where we run to when we have problems. It isnt really possible that God could give you larger trials than you with Gods help couldnt handle because obviously God can handle everything. :-/

True, but not ever trial is a temptation.

I guess the thing that I'm having the most trouble with is the phrase:
"God never gives us more than we can handle"

It is not I that handles the trial, but God. And the passage states that in so many words.

~3e3c3e

Jenacen 12-29-2004 12:30 PM

That's probably not the context of the verse, that God never gives us more than we can handle, but it'd also make sense to me if God never let us come into a situation where the burdens are too great to carry. Or even if he does, it's like twin said, he could put us into situations too heavy for us to handle ourselves so that we need to depend on him.

I watched this movie yesterday where a guy was explaining how God sometimes uses pain to get our attention. He'll take away things that mean so much to you to say, "Hey, what about me??" If you lose everything that you ever thought was worth anything, it's going to hit you like landslide, and God's going to say, "Without me, you cannot carry this burden." Those are my thoughts on trials.

So how's this different from temptation? God sometimes lets us go through temptations, but He won't ever let a spirit attack that tempts you beyond what you can do. God knows that we as Christians mean to uphold his standard of righteousness, and He expects us to do His will, and that means saying no temptation. Would it be fair if he bossed you into obedience then put you in a place of temptation where the lies and temptations of the devil were so strong that you as a human being could not possibly say no? That kind of contradicts itself I think.

If anyone has any correction to my thoughts, plz post. But hey, there's my thoughts.

nolidad 12-29-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

Aren't they reading more into this passage then they should? God promises to not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can handle, but isn't it just limited to temptation? Don't we come across situations where we can't handle it, and fully depend on the Lord? So when we are weak, He is strong and when we overcome the situation all praise is due to Him.
I think the issue is an argumnent over semantics. God never does allow more into our lives than the grace He has deposited in us gives us strength to handle. A foolish but fit example-- if grace allows only twenty insults hurled at you before you begin to destruct inwardly--then God will not allow the 21st to happen. He will not provoke us to sin nor allow a tempptation to cause us to sin. We choose to refuse the grace.

But it is true in its biblical context--God never allows in our lives more than we are able to handle.

bobthecockroach 12-29-2004 10:53 PM

Then add the phrase "through Him" to the end because I'm sure that is the intention of the cards anyway. ;)

quiditchqween 12-29-2004 11:37 PM

Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God. who loved me and gave himself for me."

This verse brings meaning and life into the other. We ourselves cannot endure many things. But we are not asked to do so. "I no longer live."

It brings great comfort that when a situation is placed before me that I feel as though I cannot handle, I know that I don't have to handle it. I believe this is what these cards may be getting at.

3e3c3e 12-30-2004 07:29 AM

I understood the meaning or heart behind the cards.

Like everyone said it is just an issue of semantics over the phrase. I guess I was over thinking the whole thing.

Thanks for everyones thoughts.

~3e3c3e

Blindman 12-30-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3e3c3e
Don't we come across situations where we can't handle it, and fully depend on the Lord? So when we are weak, He is strong and when we overcome the situation all praise is due to Him.

Exactly.

<b>God never gives us more than <i>He</i> can handle.</b>

Better?

Trials and suffering are not so much a chance to develop some strength of our own, as a chance to learn better our need for God, and to grow into deeper dependence on Him. He _is_ our strength. We need no strength apart from Him.

3e3c3e 12-30-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindman
Exactly.

<b>God never gives us more than <i>He</i> can handle.</b>

Better?

Trials and suffering are not so much a chance to develop some strength of our own, as a chance to learn better our need for God, and to grow into deeper dependence on Him. He _is_ our strength. We need no strength apart from Him.

Much better :D

~3e3c3e

Becky 12-30-2004 06:53 PM

I would think that God wouldn't give us more then we can handle.. in the sense that, He knows what buttons to push to make us lean on Him, and He knows how much would crush us, rather then cause us to turn to Him.

With God we can do ANYTHING, but this verse isn't speaking about that. If he was the verse wouldn't really mean much.

We must therefore believe that the verse is refering to our weaknesses, and God knowing how much we ourselves can handle. There is a point where if we experianced, we would be crushed and we wouldn't be able to turn to God, we wouldn't have the faith. There are things that happend this year that, if they happend 3 years ago, I wouldn't be able to handle it. God knows that, He takes us and gives us only a bit to handle at a time. Only as much as we have faith to trust Him to carry us.

It's like when you are lifting weights.. you don't automatically start lifting a 100 pound weight. You start with.. well, for me I'D start with a 5 pound :p at first after a bit that would hurt like crazy! and I'd never be able to lift the 100 pound.. but with time, eventually I would work up to that.