Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Vocals & Other Instruments (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f471/)
-   -   Pics and Descriptions of Your Drums (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t70705/)

GhEtToLiPZ 04-27-2006 12:40 PM

For my skill/experience my kit/setup is quite pathedic... But n e ways, here it go:

-CB Drums SP Series Kit
-12,13,16 inch floor tom [basic..]
-each tom with custom ordered Evans Hydraulic clear blue heads
-old Ludwig Concert Band snare 14 inch
-Evans HD Dry Coated [vented by tiny holes cirlcled around the rim area] on my snare

-802 Plus Paiste 13 inch hats which I play LOW [about 3-4 inch above snare height -n- set linear or diagonal to snare where I barely cross hands on hats]
-Wuhan 12 inch splash connected to hat stand by a cymbal arm turned to the outside
-Zildjian ZXT Titanium 20 inch Medium Ride [set low on 45 degree angle between 13 inch -n- floor toms]
-Zildjian ZBT 18 inch Crash Ride [on opposite side, between hats -n- 12 inch tom, set quite higher than ride]

Thas it until I get more stands for the cymbals I been constantly gettin off of eBay [jus ordered another pair of hats, Paiste 502 13 inch along with a 302 16 inch crash...] I also am about to get sum accent cymbals by Saluda like tha 7.5 inch Voodoo Bell... I'm now split between Paiste -n- Zildjian sounds mostly but was once a Zildjian PATRIOT freak lol... When I get my kit fully setup my way I will post sum pics.

~'LiPZ

spartandrummer 04-27-2006 02:47 PM

Don't feel too bad about your lack of gear--I had a Pearl Export for 8 years! And we're talkin' the mid-90's exports, not today's that have ISS mounts and lacquered finishes and better hardware...

The drummer makes the drumset, not the other way around. Anyway, good choice with the Saluda cymbals there... I love their stuff.

GhEtToLiPZ 04-27-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartandrummer
Don't feel too bad about your lack of gear--I had a Pearl Export for 8 years! And we're talkin' the mid-90's exports, not today's that have ISS mounts and lacquered finishes and better hardware...

The drummer makes the drumset, not the other way around. Anyway, good choice with the Saluda cymbals there... I love their stuff.

Well said, as I respect the equipment I have since being experienced allows me to tune/tweek my drums to sum pretty tones. Biggest point made in your statement is simply that the drummer does make the drumkit. I know wut u talken bout regardin tha older Export kits, they were around the same quality as my kit tho I don't kno wut type of wood ur shells made of [pretty sure I got the softy, mahogany shells but they're like 9 ply which helps the tone]. I'm more about cymbal quality n e ways for the most part 'cause u can't tune or change the heads of a cymbal like u can a drum, lol.

I've had this CB kit for about 5+ years now -n- I'm not in no hurry for a fancy new kit. Mainly because me -n- my gpops [carpenter extremist] plan to take the black covers off the drums, treat the shells correctly, coat/stain em -n- give em a natural finish which will enhance their tone a good bit. A nice cypress or maybe red oak lacquer finish would be ideal to me, along wit a new -n- deeper maple or birch snare. [maybe even order a thick ply shell -n- hardware to build my own snare]

Speaking of the Saluda's, I luv their unique tonal characteristics [especially on the accent cymbals] tho I haven't played/heard one in person [only soundbites online], plus they ARE b20 bronze cymbals like all your higher end Zildjian -n- Paiste [I have a thing against Sabian, no disrespect to n e of u who like em, as Robert is Armand Zildjian's brother -n- all so..] I recently have really fell in love wit Paiste all around, -n- for sum reason I find a lot of lower end Zildjian's to sound better than say an A or K Series. Has n e one tried/heard the newer ZHT Mastersound 'Hats?!..... 'Cause man, they're hands down the best set of hats I've yet to hear -n- will be my next addition to my setup [$150 a pair new]. The ZHTs are b12 alloy I believe -n- sound like b20's for the most part, @ least to me....

My next expansions after those hats are first off, gettin a decent rack wit boom arms -n- such for my new 302 crash, Voodoo Bell, -n- other crash/splash/china cymbals. Then, I'll need another hi-hat stand to put near my ZHT hats which I'll use for my 802 or 502 hats. Next I would like a decent, steady doublekicker wit another Iron Cobra beater to go wit the one I already have. Another step would be an eq4 head for the front of my kick to get more of a dubbed "thud" -n- on my new snare I'd put on Evans ST Dry vented head. Last I'ma need a Meinl or Zildjian cowbell right of my snare.

Wut sticks/stick model do u all play? I use a few various models/brands but my main stick is tha Vic Firth Dave Weckl orignal model [the dark red ones]. I also play Promark's Carter Beauford 5AB model -n- Zildjian's Dennis Chambers [Baltimore native too] model. I like the Vic Firth SD4 model sumtimes as well....

Well, sorry for all that ramblin, jus got me in the mood to talk drums/cymbals so I couldn't help myself. I'ma stop now -n- produce/compose sum new tracks wit my Reason 3.0 -n- ReCycle 2.0, so keep practicin all up-n-comers -n- god bless all.

adamisrad 04-29-2006 04:37 AM

gpops?

FTS 04-29-2006 06:34 AM

I have almost no idea about what drums I play. I don't even consider myself a drummer, but for now I have the church drums at home, and I play them when I can. They're made by Peace. The church picked them up second hand, so I have no idea about the model or whatever. Oh, and we have Paiste cymbals. three-zero-something. Hi-hat, crash, and ride. I'll post some pics later, maybe.

Insane Drummer 04-29-2006 12:02 PM

No like Sabian Ghetto? Silly man, Sabian is teh company, I am losing faith in all the new Zildj stuff, ZXT, ZXT TITANIUM, ZHT. I never was a fan of middle of the road cymbals, either give me ZBT or K custom.

Paiste makes some nice cymbals. I still preder Sabian, but I do like some Paiste models. Is it 303 Kepa?

FTS 04-29-2006 12:08 PM

Just double checked, they're 302s. 14" Hi hat, 16" Crash, and 20" Ride. Are they good? I have no idea about these things.

GhEtToLiPZ 04-29-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Drummer
No like Sabian Ghetto? Silly man, Sabian is teh company, I am losing faith in all the new Zildj stuff, ZXT, ZXT TITANIUM, ZHT. I never was a fan of middle of the road cymbals, either give me ZBT or K custom.

Paiste makes some nice cymbals. I still preder Sabian, but I do like some Paiste models. Is it 303 Kepa?

Jus never had a taste for Sabian realli, [kno I would like SUM of their cymbals but..] I like ZHTs more than n e series [yes, top of line cymbals as well] -n- a lot of various Paiste cymbals, mostly their rides. Also, ZHT jus APPEAR as "middle of the road cymbals", jus play those 14 inch Mastersound HiHats. ZHTs are 12% tin [hence tha name, Zildjian High/Higher Tin] or "b12 alloy", which sounds like sum upper class Paiste cymbals [Paiste even uses b8 alloy on their TOP cymbals, proven the fact that izz all about the craftsmanship]. Read up on Paiste's alloys -n- how they use mostly b8 or b13 up to b19 which they are tryin to patent.[b13,14,15,16,17,18,-n-19 alloys that is] Unless u already have, please go out -n- try sum ZHTs [especially those Mastersound hats] -n- then tell me if they sound n e less worthy than most high priced lines of cymbals! Even sum of the ZXTs are GREAT as well, u jus gotta pick thru em -n- find ur sounds like the ZXT Control Ride which I'm bout ta trade my ZXT Titanium Medium for....

~BiG 'LiPZ

sazahko 05-08-2006 02:35 PM

Finally got a picture taken.

Drums (Tama Swingstar)
-22" x 18" kick
-12" x 9", 13" x 10", 16" x 16" toms
-5-1/2" x 4" snare

Cymbals
-15" Paiste Dimension hats
-16" Zildjian Scimitar Bronze crash
-20" Paiste 502 ride

Extras
-Yamaha Flying Dragon double kick

Picture

I should probably get new heads soon. Hmm.

-Sazzy

spartandrummer 05-08-2006 04:40 PM

How do you like that 502 ride? I had one for 6 years and loved it to death! Really nice for the price...

sazahko 05-10-2006 10:31 PM

Yeah, they are pretty nice. It has a bit too much ring to it for the space that my kit's in, but it's not nearly as bad as some I've played.

-Sazzy

FTS 05-10-2006 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sazahko
Yeah, they are pretty nice. It has a bit too much ring to it for the space that my kit's in, but it's not nearly as bad as some I've played.

-Sazzy

Man those are some nice pedals. My bass pedal is crapshafe.

sazahko 05-10-2006 11:10 PM

Thanks. I would hope they look nice, seein' as how I just bought 'em. ;) But still, thanks. =)

-Sazzy

ericdrum83 05-29-2006 01:59 PM

I have a Pearl Master Studio Birch

Drum sizes are:
8" with Remo Coated Ambassador Head
10" with Remo Ambassador Head
13" with Remo Ambassador Head
16" with Remo Ambassador Head
22" bass drum with Remo Powerstroke 3 (with Falam Slam patch)
14" x 5-1/2" Ludwig Black Beauty with Remo Ambassador CS Coated Head
14" x 3" Pearl Free-Floating snare (not shown) with Remo Coated Ambassador Head

Pearl and Tama hardware including a Pearl Eliminator Double-Bass Pedal

Cymbals:
21" Zildjan A rock ride
16" Sabian AA crash
16" Sabian Pro crash
10" Sabian AA Metal-X splash
14" Sabian Stage Hats (not shown)
16" LP Percussion Rancun China

I use Vic Firth 5A American Classic and Vater Whips.

Insane Drummer 05-29-2006 02:29 PM

Nice stuff, how is the birch treating you? I have been looking at maple V birch lately.