Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Guys... why are you Prejudice against girl guitarists. (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t60550/)

Tara K.0. 09-23-2003 03:32 PM

Guys... why are you Prejudice against girl guitarists.
 
Its true....
Your great..musicians and horriable teachers to females.
Why all the EGO?
Why do you down size female gutarists?

Hey Ive been playing with the boys for years.

So, tell me something I dont know!!! (curve balls only)

jbm222 09-23-2003 03:50 PM

I've played with several female musicians and never treat them as inferior. I try to recognize a musicians skill and talent for what it is, regardless of gender (or age or race).

But if you have experienced some prejudice, here's why:

A lot of guys see rock music as a macho thing (like football or binge drinking). Let's crank up and act like we're hard. Guys who have this mentality about anything generally assume that women are less capable of doing these macho things. And any woman who can do these things is viewed as less atractive (picture a female weight-lifter).

So if your finding that guys don't like you playing guitar, it's because they think you're invading their "tough, manly" stuff. If you get that guys are unwilling to teach you to play guitar, think of football... a guy will be more than willing to talk with you about football and how good he is at football, but when you actually want to play, it's another story.

Notice that even the macho guys don't have a problem with women who want to play folk or classical... wimpy music.

That's my theory anyway... but like I said, I personally don't have a problem with female musicians.

PianoMan 09-23-2003 03:52 PM

ummm, not all of us are prejudiced...

I have personally played with female guitarests, and they were better then many guys i've heard that have played for the same period of time.

Yes its uncommon for a female to be playing, but not because its an exclusive guy thing, many just don't choose to play.

gg7 09-23-2003 03:55 PM

hey hey, don't generalize now. i am a guy and i have NO problem with female guitarists whatsoever. i like them!

my favorite cd right now is by an extremely talented female guitarist/songwriter/singer/etc.
jill paquette. the link to her website is in my signature :D
if you want to hear some of her most excellent guitar playing listen to the clips of "there to here" (especially this one) and "katie lynn" on the website.

sorry you've had a bad experience with some guys, but just know it's not all of us.

ApparentlyNothing 09-23-2003 05:22 PM

I LOVE female musicians..... I dont know what it is, but its a totaly turn on when a chick can talk music with me, or even better, jam with me. I respect all musicians out there, regardless of race, color, creed, or gender unless you give me a reason to not respect you. Any guy out there that would think that women can't play music just as good as a guy is a total jerk, and if I knew where the guy you were talking lived, I'd find him and punch him in the face! Some guys out there just feel like they're God's gift to the world, it has nothing to do with being a musician, athlete, or anything else, cause its never a 100% deal. There's always guys out there that arent like how the stereotype goes, so please dont generalize.

PiousPoet 09-23-2003 05:52 PM

Yes I agree, I like female guitarists, because they go against the norms of society and do what they find interesting instead of listening to what most people think about them playing guitar.

CheshireCat 09-23-2003 06:46 PM

Well, in part, the world of rock has been stacked against women, but that is changing.

Part of the reason we don't see a lot of women in rock is because it is so masculine.

Case in point, big, domineering, heavy, masculine guitars which are challenging enough for young boys, let alone young girls who literally don't have the body strength to lug those heavy guitars around.

One new company is setting out to change that. Ever heard of Daisy Rock? http://www.daisyrock.com/

They make guitars with grrrrls in mind! Guys are welcome to, of course, and some pro male rockers even play their guitars, because they are so trippy. But they are designed with grrrls in mind.

Tres cool.

Chesh

PiousPoet 09-23-2003 10:55 PM

That's cool someone is stepping up to try to get more girls to play...

GMartin2R 09-24-2003 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7
hey hey, don't generalize now. i am a guy and i have NO problem with female guitarists whatsoever. i like them!

i'm pretty much the same way... as far as i'm concerned, if they're good, more power to em... i play a more acoustic style to start wiht primarily so chances are better of having females have similar playing styles to me... if they do adn are proficient at it, cool... i dont mind at all...

rotj4 09-24-2003 01:35 AM

[QUOTE=Tara K.0.]

Hey Ive been playing with the boys for years.

[QUOTE]
I've been playing with girls for years. I don't play music with them but I personally don't have a problem with a woman playing a guitar. I will admit that it doesn't seem to suit them as well as some other instruments. I only base that on the fact that most female musicians I know play the keyboard, piano or organ. I visited a church a while back and it was fathers day so the girls took the stage for worship. They had a couple of guitarists and they were great.

Mugga Please 10-02-2003 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
One new company is setting out to change that. Ever heard of Daisy Rock? http://www.daisyrock.com/

They make guitars with grrrrls in mind! Guys are welcome to, of course, and some pro male rockers even play their guitars, because they are so trippy. But they are designed with grrrls in mind.

Tres cool.

Chesh

please dont get any of those guitars s.....u think u dont have respect now you definitly wont have it playing those


And ya im for s and guitars....if she's cute and can play thats a up in my book

Daniel Horney 10-02-2003 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tara K.0.
Why do you down size female gutarists?

because girls arent as good as boys at guitar...its a genetic thing....they arent as good as boys at anything come to think of it.

dwald 10-02-2003 09:19 AM

Nice Dane, real nice.

I dont care what you look like, I only care how you sound. That from a 6' 255 lb black bald ex pro baseball playing praise and worship leading guitarist. It's good to be me. hehe

gg7 10-02-2003 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDanish
because girls arent as good as boys at guitar...its a genetic thing....they arent as good as boys at anything come to think of it.

:nope:

strong words. i disagree with you. i think it comes down to the individual, their God given talent, and work ethic. not their sex.

i do however think there are more good guy guitarists out there than good girl guitarists BUT only because of the simple fact that there are more guy guitarists than girl guitarists. the more there are the greater chance of having more good players, obviously.
but hey, more and more girls are picking up the guitar and i think it's great.
:)

DreamChaser 10-02-2003 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7
:nope:

strong words. i disagree with you. i think it comes down to the individual, their God given talent, and work ethic. not their sex.
:)

I think he was being sarcastic.. I think.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 AM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2