Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Satin or Glossy finnish? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t44134/)

1twelve2 02-01-2003 06:56 PM

Satin or Glossy finnish?

...I've been wondering what the difference was. I've read that the glossy finnish dulls the sound or something like that...is that true?? the main reason is b/c I became curious about after looking at guitar catalogues where they offer the same guitar in both satin and glossy/standard finnishes.

Shredcheddar 02-01-2003 07:20 PM

Well, I'm not sure who or what a gloss finnish is, but a high gloss laqeur finish is usually a thicker, less flexible coat... it is shinier than a satin finish, but the reason it's 'duller' is because the wood resonates.. and the more 'flopping' action it has, the better it generally sounds. In short, the gloss restrains the top from vibrating more than a satin finish. I like satin better anyway, but it's not *that* big of a deal.

nate95366 02-01-2003 10:06 PM

That's basically a good summary above. Except that a gloss finnish is definitely a person hailing from Finland who has tipped a few too many finnish lagers...

Nate

1twelve2 02-01-2003 10:22 PM

tnx guys for ur insightful replies....and now you also see why I'm not majoring in english...:D tnx for summing it up for me there, shredcheddar... and extra points for you for having an Appled-out avatar!

Griffon 02-01-2003 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nate95366
That's basically a good summary above. Except that a gloss finnish is definitely a person hailing from Finland who has tipped a few too many finnish lagers...

Nate

haha.....you stole my joke man!

PianoMan 02-02-2003 12:23 AM

DOUBLE POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol:

anyway, to add to Shred's response, gloss finishes are also much more durable than satin finishes. Just another thing to keep in mind.

GMartin2R 02-02-2003 01:24 AM

yeah i think that's partly cause of the thikness of the coats. i prefer the satin but it's also much more apt to be damaged by small bumps and dings than a gloss finish is. so i think it's a relatively minor trade off either way and personal preference. i like to have my guitars look as close to natural wood as i can including as little shine as possible so i prefer the satin.

reags 02-02-2003 01:36 AM

satin finishes are great on acoustic bodies - especially this particular garrison that my friend tried, also prolly some taylors too.

though satin finishes do bite the hard one on guitar necks - my telecoustic neck gets dirty easy thanx to mr satin.

Griffon 02-02-2003 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PianoMan
DOUBLE POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol:
ACK!!! Sorry, I hit BACK too many times. I'm gonna go hide under my desk now.....

Mr. Squeeky 02-02-2003 06:58 AM

Well the new glosses take much fewer coats of paint to do because they're UV-cured. You can read all about it in an article on the Taylor site.

Anyways, the difference is hardly perceptible, and I consider it a decent trade, in order to protect my guitar. Besides, the satin look makes it look............. primitive almost.

reags 02-02-2003 07:51 AM

ooooooo yea primitive is almost an understatement :)

Shredcheddar 02-02-2003 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nate95366

Nate

LOL :klol: . I hope that answers your real question, MusicFreaK. :lol:

NathanGrimm 02-02-2003 10:11 PM

hmmm, I guess you'd go to a satin Finnish for a prom dress then....
Nathan

gg7 02-02-2003 10:20 PM

i prefer satin finished myself. looks and feels more natural and nicer to me. and it doesn't get messed up constantly when you touch it with smudges from fingerprints etc etc..

Mr. Squeeky 02-04-2003 09:01 PM

Well just wait and see how great that satin finish is when dirt and grime creep in.