Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Gibson Les Pauls vs. Fender Strats (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t34160/)

BowoW 10-06-2002 03:37 PM

ahh.. I'm so dumb, NOW I remember that tele (thanks nate :) )

That tele is the '72 Telecaster Thinline (Featured on GW; March 2000).

Here's the specs for people interested

List price: 899.99
Body: Ash
Neck: Maple with gloss finish
Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25" radius
Scale length: 25.5"
Frets: 21 small vintage
Nut width: 1.650"
Tuners: Fender/Schaller "F" style
Pickups: 2 reissue Fender "Wide Range" humbuckers
Controls: Master volume, master tone, 3-way
Pickguard: White Pearloid
Bridge: '70 strat (non trem), Six-saddle
Finishes: Natural, 3-color sunburst.

seems pretty sweet :D

BTW.. another interesting strat is the 'Telesonic', check it out.

-jamie

LWatford 10-07-2002 06:35 PM

Someone has probably already said this, but...

I like both...not always a LP or Strat, but the tones of each. The way a Strat has that quack in the inbetween settings and the way a good humbucking guitar has a nice warm tone at the neck...My favorite guitars combine attributes of each type into one instrument.

Feel-wise...I'm pretty happy with a big neck with high frets, so LPs or Strats usually feel about the same to me.

FoolInTheRain 10-08-2002 07:16 PM

No fair!!!

I play a Gibson SG, which for me is a "happy medium" between a Strat and an LP. The SG easily handles many of the "twangy" aspects of a Strat and is suited to any style I've ever come across. However, it lacks just a BIT of the warmth of the Strat. It also lacks the depth and sustain of an LP. In my opinion, the SG and the Strat are VERY similar, weight-wise, but I am a fairly big guy. On a personal note, the Strat is not my vote for the "best-looking" guitar: they are just what they seem, a mass-produced, although very-WELL mass-produced guitar. Besides, if we're taking that route, SG's and Telecaster's are just plain purdy *grin* Anyway, a Les Paul, to me, is THE definitive rock guitar, I've seen country and (especially) blues players use LP's, but, c'mon: it's just so dang smooth! and creamy! WOW! And besides, have you ever seen a Les Paul up close? Some of those are truly BEAUTIFUL, with their extensive paint jobs and beautiful....everything. WOW! But anyway, the LP is limited (to me) by it's success: it's such a good rock guitar that it doesn't seem to lend itself too well to styles like ska and surf (which are BASED on the Strat), and any self-respecting bluegrass player wouldn't be caught dead with a Les Paul.....assuming they would be caught dead with anything with a pickup *grin* Like many others have already said, it very much depends on what you want to do. Versatility is key to me, so I would tend to lean towards towards the Strat in overall value (in part because my wallet isn't big enough to counter-balance me and make me lean towards the LP *grin*) In a *WARNING* personal opinion statement, a Strat is a guitar. A Les Paul is an INSTRUMENT. The differences are subtle, yet many *laugh* So, after typing about 250 words, I haven't answered the question *laugh* If money weren't a question, I'd probably opt for a souped up Strat, just for the variances in tone through the pickup control, the versatility to play in ANY style, and the brightness of single-coils. A Les Paul is the sexy lady of guitars: beautiful, rich, soulful, and smooth. Played through an AC30, anything with strings would sound right nice, but in the end I'd pick......A TELE! HA! Alas, the evil not-an-option choice (hehe) Anyway, hope that's some interesting reading. May God Bless

thesteve 10-08-2002 07:19 PM

I've seen LPs used in country to replicate the sounds of a steel guitar.

FoolInTheRain 10-09-2002 12:24 PM

Really? I've never seen that before. All country players 'round here stick to the "gotta play a Fender.....MUST play a Fender!!!" mentality. Silly Tele's...*grin*

BowoW 10-09-2002 01:28 PM

teles are cool.. but just ugly ;)

-jamie

FoolInTheRain 10-10-2002 02:32 PM

No way, man! Tele's are classic! They're super cool, even in looks. Whatever yanks your crank, I suppose.